Antwerp meeting September 3/4 2022

pegelli

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/14/2022 at 8:18 AM, rjans said:

May 7 at 14:00 is noted.

Best

For the prep meeting, Saturday May 7 at 14:00 in cafe Storm (level 0 of the MAS)

@rjans : check

@pegelli : check

@Stef63 : ??

@japo : other commitments, but will be involved later

Other local people willing to help organise the September 3/4 meeting are welcome as well, just show up at 14:00 in Storm and we'll take it from there.

You can all recognise me by a Leica M2 on the table 😁

Things to discuss:

- meeting point and walking route for saturday Sep 3

- meeting point and walking route for sunday Sep 4

- lunch venues

- dinner venues

- Hotel recommendations for those who want to stay over

- Anything else of importance that I have missed in the list above

1 minute ago, pegelli said:

Things to discuss:

- lunch venues

- dinner venues

I have arranged one or two similar events in London and elsewhere so might I respectfully suggest that you consider assistance needs for those who might not be as fully able as others? 

For example, on one event we had a forum member who was unable to walk very far owing to advancing years and a fall but he was as keen as mustard to join in so I made sure that taxis could be summoned to ferry him to the next meeting point if he ran out of steam and I kept the length of walking sections reasonably short so we were never far from a refreshment place or a seat for a brief rest.  It didn't prove to be too difficult to do, he greatly appreciated it and he thoroughly enjoyed himself.  (It's tempting to ask people online before the meeting whether they have any restrictions or difficulties but often they will be reluctant to say so because they find it intensely embarrassing to have to admit to publicly or to be treated differently to everyone else.)  Just a thought. 🙂

Thank you all for arranging this meeting, which I'm looking forward to, even if I might not be able to make both days (working on that now).

Pete.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Thanks Pete, all good tips. We'll look at taxis or übers to shuttle people as needed.

The other thought I had was that trams in Antwerp are running very frequently and tickets easy to pay by SMS so that's another way that some (or even the whole group) can shorten the walking distances.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

It's mighty quiet here but that's just an illusion. Behind the scenes Stef63, rjans, japo and myself are working hard to put a full two day program together and due to priviliges of a member of the organising committee there is a high probability to get access to some places that are normally closed for the public :)

Can't say too much yet since everything still needs to be firmed up but so far we're looking at two interesting and quite different days in the weekend of september 3 and 4.

Just to warm you up here's two images from Antwerp, first the MAS (Museum Aan de Stroom) and a second one overlooking the harbour from the 10th floor observation deck of that building (which has free access) and will very likely be included in the tour on one of the days.

So watch this space for more details, which can be expected to show up here in the second half of june

both images Sony A7ii + Leica M-Summaron 35/2.8

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We plan to stay two nights at the NH Hoteles near the station. We liked it during our last adventures.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am 2.5.2022 um 14:33 schrieb pegelli:

For the prep meeting, Saturday May 7 at 14:00 in cafe Storm (level 0 of the MAS)

@rjans : check

@pegelli : check

@Stef63 : ??

@japo : other commitments, but will be involved later

Other local people willing to help organise the September 3/4 meeting are welcome as well, just show up at 14:00 in Storm and we'll take it from there.

You can all recognise me by a Leica M2 on the table 😁

Things to discuss:

- lunch venues

- dinner venues

I will be in Antwerp only on saterday 3 sept . from 9:30 till 21:30, taking the train back to Tilburg then. See you all hopefully! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Antwerp is preparing

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Stef63, rjans, japo and pegelli stuck their heads together (some virtually) and came up with the following rough program.

Your comments, remarks and questions  can be posted below.

Day A/Saturday september 3 "Old city center"
- ~10:00 Assemble at Storm, ground floor of the MAS/coffee & introductions
- Go to 10th floor of MAS and enjoy the view over the city/harbour
- Walk (exact route tbd, guesstimate between 3 and 5 km for the day) along historic harbourcranes, Felix Warehouse, Beginage, Central court University of Antwerp, Carolus Borromeus church (or St. Paul's church), Vlaaikensgang, Grote Markt, Het Steen etc.
- Lunch somewhere along the route ("Blend" as per Gibbo's suggestion?), Dinner in a restaurant in the area of the Grote Markt
- optional evening/night shoot

Day B/Sunday september 4 "Architecture"
- ~10:00 Assemble at or near the Antwerp Central Railway station/coffee and introductions
- By tram/bus visit several architectural highlights like the Central Railway station, Zaha Hadid Harbourhouse, Sport  Arena (Stef63 can get access/tour for a group), new courthouse, "Nieuw Zuid", New Province Admin center, Cycle bridge/Karel de Grote College and new hospital.
- Every participant buys a day pass for tram/bus, easy to do with an app or via SMS. Exact procedure will be published later.
- lunch somewhere along the route
- No dinner plans, organised meeting ends at ~17:00

A couple of other remarks:
- Based on the weather forecast Day A and B can be switched
- Stef63 can get access to more inside venues in case of bad weather
- We're looking into "official" subscription for one or both days via an Eventbright website
- We recommend that all people staying over arrange their own Hotel, plenty to find in several different price/quality catagories via several hotel booking websites
- We will also make a list of worthwhile places to visist/see for the days before/after the weekend for participants from abroad who stay longer in Antwerp.

So, pls. let us know what you think of this, based on your feedback we will refine the program, decide the exact walking/public transport routes and determine lunch and dinner venues and fill in the remaining details.

The meeting weekend is now little over two month away so little firmer yes/no on participation and details on family members joining for the walks / lunches / dinners would be appreciated. Over the next few weeks we'll start contacting venues for these happenings and having a rough number of participants is helpful to have for these discussions.

Thank you to all who have helped. 

Since generally forum members tend to be 'gracefully ageing', is there provision for those who might be a little less capable and would appreciate or benefit from rest stops or other assistance if needed?  (I don't consider myself to be in need of this - just yet - but often those who would benefit from it prefer not to enquire for fear of being awkward and simply stay at home instead.)

Pete.

• Thanks 2

Good point Pete, for the walk we have in mind for saturday there are several shortcuts possible with sufficient "resting places" to stay until the rest arrives.

Sunday is mostly with public transport and then also skipping a few stops stops is certainly possible for people who don't have the energy/capibility to do it all.

Last but not least Antwerp has Uber service, so for people who still want to see all or most of the venues but spend less time/energy walking there's an easy/low energy way to get around as well.

The idea is to print small maps with the main routes and alternative shortcuts for a shorter walk/tramride.

Edited by pegelli

vor 58 Minuten schrieb pegelli:

It seems awfully silent here 🤨, quiet before the storm or little interest?

We would love your comments on the program or signs of participation

Saturday looks fine. I’ll be there. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pegelli said:

It seems awfully silent here 🤨, quiet before the storm or little interest?

We would love your comments on the program or signs of participation

I'm in, the programme looks very good to me.

Thanks a lot for the organization of the meeting

Stefan

• Like 1

• jaapv changed the title to Antwerp meeting September 3/4 2022