protection for summilux 35/1.4 (2022)

brickftl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm awaiting deliver this week of the above lens. Thinking about protection, when I'm out and about using it on my M10 and have the lens cap in my pocket, do you think I should rely on the pull out hood for protection, or just to be safe should I have a clear UV filter screwed on?

And if you recommend the UV filter, which brand do you recommend?

Always a filter for me. Just had another save of lens by filter, which took the entire force of the impact.
Many people do not use a filter though. The hood can be fine in your case.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Al Brown said:

A high quality filter like B+W XS-Pro Digital series for sure. Many people also like Leica original UVa II filters, they are apparently made by Hoya or Marumi (not specified).

I read that the non Leica options like B+W may interfere with hood operation, so to be safe I just ordered the Leica version

• Like 1

I have the same lens and use a Leica filter and the hood fits perfectly with it. I have heard pros and cons about using the filters, but I have used one on my lenses for the past 50 years and have never regretted it.  I remember a Nikon demo years ago where a lit cigarette was stubbed out on the front of a Nikon lens with no ill effect. A rather dramatic way Nikon showed how tough their lenses were. I preferred an ash tray.