Antwerp meeting September 3/4 2022

pegelli

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I did a pre-walk to scout the route for saturday yesterday. It's ~5 km with several shortcut options

Google maps approximate route

Two things I discovered:

1: After the devastating fire last week the inner court of the university is closed, low probability it will be reopened in september

2: Carolus Borromeus church is closed for touristic visits, so we'll have to adjust the route slightly to replace this by the Paulus church, this one is still open for the general publuc every saturday from 14:00 - 17:00h

More details to follow later :)

Here's a little teaser of the things we might see on this walk:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

Hello all
Sometimes you have to make choices, and previously made plans fall through.
My son is running the 360km Swiss Peaks, and this run runs from 27/8 to 4/9. He asked me to help him on the spot with some practical matters...... 
This I could not refuse. I wish you all the best and a nice visit to the "koekestad" Antwerp

ps if you are in the neighbourhood of the Grote Markt, make sure you walk through the Vlaaikesgang

grts

Jan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, japo said:

Hello all
Sometimes you have to make choices, and previously made plans fall through.
My son is running the 360km Swiss Peaks, and this run runs from 27/8 to 4/9. He asked me to help him on the spot with some practical matters...... 
This I could not refuse. I wish you all the best and a nice visit to the "koekestad" Antwerp

ps if you are in the neighbourhood of the Grote Markt, make sure you walk through the Vlaaikesgang

grts

Jan

That's a pity Jan, but I understand supporting your son's Swiss Peaks run adventure is an opportunity you can't miss.

Thanks for the help and suggestions so far and the Vlaaikensgang is certainly on the program once we reach the Grote Markt. Maybe we can even have dinner there in 't Hofke, we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, time to take stock of who's coming (and not)

Looking through the whole thread this is where I think we stand now, but pls. correct me in case I have interpreted something wrong

Organisers and both days: rjans, Stef63 and pegelli

Both days certain: farnz, analogM, satijntje, StS

Saturday certain: Paulus, Alberti

Definite maybe: mikemgb, LeicaBoss

Indicated interest: Herman., Iarsv, ianman, Martin T-M, Michiel Fokkema, earleygallery, jaapv

Definite not: japo, Sandokan, Gibbo

Next week we're going to contact some venues for lunch/dinner and my guess would be now that we're with ~15 for saturday and ~13 for sunday (assuming ~50% of the maybe/shown interest actually come) but any input you can give to improve the accuracy of this estimate would be much appreciated. Also if you have family members joining for any of the lunches or the dinner pls. indicate that as well. Obviously we'll never achieve 100% accuracy but the better we know beforehand the easier the planning will be :)

Also if you haven't reacted yet and still want (or are considering) to come there is still time to let us know, the more the merrier I would say so pls. feel welcome to join even if your name isn't mentioned in the overview above.

• Thanks 1

My circumstances have changed significantly since the start of this thread so regretfully I need to drop into the 'indicated interest' bracket for accuracy.  There are some matters beyond my control that I need to sort out but it's likely that I'll make the Saturday and I'm hoping I'll be able stay for Sunday too.  Apologies for the change in position.

Pete.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 9 Minuten schrieb farnz:

My circumstances have changed significantly since the start of this thread so regretfully I need to drop into the 'indicated interest' bracket for accuracy.  There are some matters beyond my control that I need to sort out but it's likely that I'll make the Saturday and I'm hoping I'll be able stay for Sunday too.  Apologies for the change in position.

Pete.

Saturday is a fine day for drinking the beer you will pay...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• jaapv changed the title to Antwerp meeting September 3/4 2022

Thanks Jaap!

Update with the latest input:

Organisers and both days: rjans, Stef63 and pegelli

Both days certain: analogM, satijntje, StS

Definite maybe: mikemgb, LeicaBoss, farnz

Indicated interest: Herman., ianman, Martin T-M, Michiel Fokkema, earleygallery, jaapv

Definite not: japo, Sandokan, Gibbo, Iarsv

Any updates you can provide are appreciated

FYI, the official group permission to photograph in the Central Railway Station for Sunday was issued to me by the NMBS (Belgian State Ralway), tripods/monopods allowed when you want to.

Edited by pegelli
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It seems I am travelling on business to the northern hemisphere and might be able to fly-in/out for that weekend, I hope there might be space for one more, if so I will see if I can make the arrangements work with my primary commitments. I have only ever travelled through Belgium on my way to other places, so it would be a wonderful chance to experience this historic city and meet up with some fellow photo enthusiasts!

• Like 4

Unfortunately it’s impossible to make the flight with my work commitments, even just allowing for a single day. I’m really disappointed, I remember how good it was to meet some of the forum members in Melbourne. I hope you all have a great time and I shall look forward to seeing your pictures.

• Like 2

@105012That's a pity, we would have loved to meet you in Antwerp.

Which airports to fly into did you check? Next to Brussels (Zaventem)  and Antwerp itself there's pretty good bus/rail connections possible from Amsterdam, Rotterdam/The Hague, Charleroi and Eindhoven airports. Or was there just too little time between your business obligations to make the trip at all?

Anyway, have a safe trip and let's hope for a next opportunity to meet.

Yesterday I tested our Architecture tour for Sunday. Here's a teaser for the kind of things we could spot that day:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

After testing and the unfortunate fact that our co-organiser Stef63 might not be in the country due to circumstances beyond his control the weekend of september 3/4 here's the near final program for the two days:

Saturday

• Meet between 9:30 and 10:00 at cafe Storm (Ground floor of the MAS), have coffee (or something else)
  • Climb to the 10th floor of the MAS for a panoramic look over Antwerp (don't worry, most stairs are escalators)
  • Walk to and around the Historic harbour cranes on the Rijnkaai
  • Walk to and around the Brabo pilot building
  • Lunch at "Vers Eilandje" (Van Schoonbekeplein), order what you want at the counter and pay, cash and debit/creditcard possible
  • Walk to and visit the Felix Pakhuis
  • Walk to and across the foot/bicycle bridge across the Leien
  • Walk to and visit the Antwerp Beginage
  • Walk to and visit the Paulus church (admission 5 €)
  • Walk to and around the Grote Markt (Vlaaikensgang/Steen/Townhall/etc.)
  • At 19:00 I have dinner reservations at het "Elfde Gebod", typical Belgian cuisine and a great choice of beer (and other drinks)

Total walk is around 5 km: Google Maps approximate route There are several shortcuts possible for people who can't or don't want to manage the whole tour.

If you arrive by public transport the easiest might be take tram 24 or tram 1 from the Central Station to "Noorderplaats" and walk a few 100 meter from there to the MAS.
Or you can do the ~2.2 km by walking there from the Central Station.

If you want to park your car closeby the the best option will probably be QPark Godefriduskaai 

Sunday

• Meet between 9:30 and 10:00 at the Starbucks at the Central Station (front/historic side), have coffee (or something else)
  • Tour the Antwerp Central Station, both historic front and modern backside (we have a photo permit for this, tripods allowed)
  • Buy day passes for unlimited Antwerp Tram/Bus travel for one day
  • Take Tram 24 to the Zara Hadid designed Havenhuis, walk around
  • Take Tram 24 back to Rooseveld square, walk around remains of Spanish Wall, Opera Square, Antwerp Tower and Metro station
  • Walk back to Central Station for lunch at Panos
  • Take Tram 1 to the Justice Palace (also called the Butterfly palace, if you look at the teaser above you'll see why ;))
  • Walk around Justice Palace and "Nieuw Zuid", a whole newly developed area
  • Walk to and take bus 30 to the Antwerp Province building
  • Walk around the Antwerp Province building
  • Take the Tram (several options) back to the Central Station
  • The end, no formal dinner plans scheduled, but plenty opportunity for people staying to have dinner in the station neighbourhood or further in the city.

Total Walking distance this day is minimal, all large distances will be covered by public transport. A day pass for Tram/Bus costs € 7,50 and can be bought at one of the ticket machines near the Central Station. Alternatively you can use the "De Lijn" app to buy it online or (only for people with a Belgian SIM card) by SMS.

Comments, questions, suggestions are more than welcome.

Edited by pegelli
  • Like 1

Organisers and both days: rjans and pegelli

Definite maybe: mikemgb, LeicaBoss, farnz, ianman (Saturday), Stef63

Indicated interest: Herman., Martin T-M, Michiel Fokkema, earleygallery, jaapv

Definite not: japo, Sandokan, Gibbo, Iarsv, 105012

@mikemgb@LeicaBoss@farnz@ianman: Once your "maybe" is changed into a definite yes or definite no pls. let us know here.

@Herman.@Martin T-M@Michiel Fokkema@earleygallery@jaapv: any input if you're coming, or not, or maybe is appreciated.

Also for the "definites", in case any of your plans change let us know.

At this moment we seem to be at least with 7 on saturday and at least 5 on sunday, but obviously we have room for more. Also if you just read about this no problem to join the gang, the more the merrier.

Edited by pegelli
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pegelli said:

Organisers and both days: rjans and pegelli

Definite maybe: mikemgb, LeicaBoss, farnz, ianman (Saturday), Stef63

Indicated interest: Herman., Martin T-M, Michiel Fokkema, earleygallery, jaapv

Definite not: japo, Sandokan, Gibbo, Iarsv, 105012

@mikemgb@LeicaBoss@farnz@ianman: Once your "maybe" is changed into a definite yes or definite no pls. let us know here.

@Herman.@Martin T-M@Michiel Fokkema@earleygallery@jaapv: any input if you're coming, or not, or maybe is appreciated.

Also for the "definites", in case any of your plans change let us know.

At this moment we seem to be at least with 7 on saturday and at least 5 on sunday, but obviously we have room for more. Also if you just read about this no problem to join the gang, the more the merrier.

Thank you for the reminder - unfortunately I won't be able to attend after all. Hope you have an enjoyable weekend.

• Like 1