Is the M8 still worth buying in 2022-2023?

maidenfan84

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, markc2 said:

The M8 prices are around the price of a SL now, and man it's hard to justify being so close to the SL. I got to try out a 240 and an Sl, the SL with the AF lens was so fast at everything I felt like a butterfly flying around the camera store, stream of conscious shooting it felt like. The other part of me felt like the SL was a point and shoot of the very highest order. Then I tried the M240 and wow, I started to think about what I wanted to compose, all that manual stuff. At the same time I kept on thinking WOW what would the SL be like with a M lens on it. I'm still on the fence, about the whole thing, if I could find an M8 for a decent price not SL prices but reasonable ARGG decisions, decisions. 

and old S walks into the building with a decent price tag as well. Will it ever end 🙂

In the Nordics, the M8 is basically the same price as an M240. Also the M-P 240 is getting the level of M9. I sold my M-P 240 to just use my M8 and M6.

I did not like the digital files from the M-P too be honest, specially coming from an M8 it was too much of an culture clash. M8 has super genuine feeling in what it delivers in comparison to the more modern M-models. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Its a valid question even today.

I recently sold a whole bunch of M bodies, mostly film.

The ones I kept were M2,M3 and M8.2 BP (M9p went )

Even today the colors are just different and for me 'better' than other digital Leica's.

Will it break one day?, maybe, did my M9P break after 1 year? sure it did.

My M8.2 BP is more than 10 years old, has 50k shutter value and works as perfect as on Day 1.

A beautiful digital rangefinder for a reasonable price today.

Enjoy

Andy

• Like 8

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

Absolutely still worth it. I run it alongside my far more modern m10r and very often prefer it’s output. This pic is a few months old, when testing the 24mm Elmar on this body. Love the colours. This is my never sell camera. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by costa43
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got one a couple months ago and adore mine. I can't remember the last time I "bonded" so instantly with a camera & its output… and I have had a lot of cameras from a lot of manufacturers.

On 3/4/2024 at 3:08 PM, costa43 said:

Absolutely still worth it. I run it alongside my far more modern m10r and very often prefer it’s output. This pic is a few months old, when testing the 24mm Elmar on this body. Love the colours. This is my never sell camera. 

Just wonderful! The composition, your adorable model, the pastel colors, the rendering…

That 24mm Elmar is the one Leica lens I am absolutely determined to get.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, spiffariffic said:

I got one a couple months ago and adore mine. I can't remember the last time I "bonded" so instantly with a camera & its output… and I have had a lot of cameras from a lot of manufacturers.

Just wonderful! The composition, your adorable model, the pastel colors, the rendering…

You are absolutely right.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Actually, this video caused me to go hunting for a M8.2:

I added a Noctilux 50/1.0 (E60) and an IR-cut filter, in order to see, how much inspiration it can give to me and how close it can bring me back to analogue film (without the hazzle of development, scanning etc.).

For most of my photo- and videography, I use a Sony A1 with up-to-date lenses (also some adapted Leica glass), but to be honest: This level of perfection is getting boring...

Edited by 3D-Kraft.com
  • Like 2

Got a M8.2 in silver/chrome now in excellent condition. Everthing works fine, only the battery is pretty weak already, but that was not unexpected.

The Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12/5.6 was already in my cabinet. I think, it's a good starting point as focusing is no challenge with that...

I really like the colors that you get from that dinosaur:

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/4/2024 at 2:08 PM, costa43 said:

Been shooting the M10-R more lately, but this post inspired me to grab the M8 and head to the backyard. Long live the M8. 

With 35 APO. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, goldenbear said:

Been shooting the M10-R more lately, but this post inspired me to grab the M8 and head to the backyard. Long live the M8. 

With 35 APO. 

Very nice, organic looking image. I also took it out yesterday and shot b&w jpeg, something I never do with any other camera but I really enjoy it with the m8. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, costa43 said:

Very nice, organic looking image. I also took it out yesterday and shot b&w jpeg, something I never do with any other camera but I really enjoy it with the m8.

Thank you. Yes, the ability to shoot fabulous color, B&W and handheld IR with this camera is one of a kind. 

• Like 1

On 3/16/2024 at 11:15 PM, spiffariffic said:

Thank you. It’s a superb lens. Works like a charm on the m8. The 32mm eq focal length is 👌

The paddle board beckons. 

With 28 Elmarit-M (latest). 

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I’ve been tracking a specific black paint m8.2 for two years…

The M8.2 made its way from a small independent camera repair shop in the East coast to the West coast to my local pawn shop. It was exactly 2 years ago when I saw it in person, but I couldn’t justify the cost they were asking for it. Eventually someone picked it up and the shutter immediately broke, so it was returned.

6 months later, it was re-listed again at the pawn shop with a receipt of a new shutter from Leica, but this time they were asking for more. I wanted it badly, but I didn’t have the available funds and plus I already had an M8 at that time. It was eventually sold and I missed out.

Around last Christmas time, the M8.2 popped up on FB marketplace. The seller’s asking price was the same as his purchased price 8 months ago. Again, I still had my m8 and no “gear funds” available. It sold within a week or so.

Fast forward to last week (6 months later). I was browsing the marketplace again and saw another black paint M8.2 and how it reminded me of the one I’ve been tracking for 2 years. It wondered if it’ll ever pop back up for sale and if it did, it would be mine, but that was just probably wishful thinking. 

A few days later, that exact M8.2 was listed!! I couldn’t believe my eyes and the seller was asking for the same as his purchase price, but this time he was also open to trades. I messaged the seller and basically walked home with this beautiful M8.2 for a really good trade.

Since I’ve been tracking this exact camera, I know it’s shutter count every time it was sold and also before the shutter replacement. Basically it has only 3k clicks on the new shutter.

To answer the question, “is it still worth it to buy an M8 in 2024?” The answer is simply a “yes” for me (especially a black paint m8.2). This camera still produces beautiful pictures and colours even almost 2 decades later and plus, no one pixel peeps on social media and I don’t print anyways. I also enjoy the limitations this camera has and intentionally load the camera with a 2GB SD card to even further challenge myself to only take necessary photos. I also love the little LCD screen on top showing your remaining frames like a film camera that the newer M’s lack. This is one of the best digital camera/rangefinder you can get for a true film-like experience (besides the Epson RD1). Only caveat is the crop sensor and the IR cut filters, but that doesn’t bother me at all.

Edited by 69xchange
  • Like 10

On 6/11/2024 at 7:26 AM, 69xchange said:

I’ve been tracking a specific black paint m8.2 for two years…

The M8.2 made its way from a small independent camera repair shop in the East coast to the West coast to my local pawn shop. It was exactly 2 years ago when I saw it in person, but I couldn’t justify the cost they were asking for it. Eventually someone picked it up and the shutter immediately broke, so it was returned.

6 months later, it was re-listed again at the pawn shop with a receipt of a new shutter from Leica, but this time they were asking for more. I wanted it badly, but I didn’t have the available funds and plus I already had an M8 at that time. It was eventually sold and I missed out.

Around last Christmas time, the M8.2 popped up on FB marketplace. The seller’s asking price was the same as his purchased price 8 months ago. Again, I still had my m8 and no “gear funds” available. It sold within a week or so.

Fast forward to last week (6 months later). I was browsing the marketplace again and saw another black paint M8.2 and how it reminded me of the one I’ve been tracking for 2 years. It wondered if it’ll ever pop back up for sale and if it did, it would be mine, but that was just probably wishful thinking. 

A few days later, that exact M8.2 was listed!! I couldn’t believe my eyes and the seller was asking for the same as his purchase price, but this time he was also open to trades. I messaged the seller and basically walked home with this beautiful M8.2 for a really good trade.

Since I’ve been tracking this exact camera, I know it’s shutter count every time it was sold and also before the shutter replacement. Basically it has only 3k clicks on the new shutter.

To answer the question, “is it still worth it to buy an M8 in 2024?” The answer is simply a “yes” for me (especially a black paint m8.2). This camera still produces beautiful pictures and colours even almost 2 decades later and plus, no one pixel peeps on social media and I don’t print anyways. I also enjoy the limitations this camera has and intentionally load the camera with a 2GB SD card to even further challenge myself to only take necessary photos. I also love the little LCD screen on top showing your remaining frames like a film camera that the newer M’s lack. This is one of the best digital camera/rangefinder you can get for a true film-like experience (besides the Epson RD1). Only caveat is the crop sensor and the IR cut filters, but that doesn’t bother me at all.

I don't understand why you want to further challenge yourself by using the 2gb card. I use M9s for similar reasons to yourself I find the older tech of the early Digital Ms very reminiscent of using film (no live view etc) but I do enjoy being able to go out on a shoot and take only what I think are worth taking and unlike film if I come back with only 10 or so shots I can get to processing and sharing them straight away, no wasting frames to finish the film or waiting until the next shoot etc but even though I often only have around 20 or 30 shots when I am finished I wouldn't restrict myself to that by using small cards.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Topsy said:

I don't understand why you want to further challenge yourself by using the 2gb card. I use M9s for similar reasons to yourself I find the older tech of the early Digital Ms very reminiscent of using film (no live view etc) but I do enjoy being able to go out on a shoot and take only what I think are worth taking and unlike film if I come back with only 10 or so shots I can get to processing and sharing them straight away, no wasting frames to finish the film or waiting until the next shoot etc but even though I often only have around 20 or 30 shots when I am finished I wouldn't restrict myself to that by using small cards.

Apparently at least 200 images in DNG will fit on a 2Gb card.  That ought to be plenty for a day out, no? Hardly a challenge. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mute-on said:

Apparently at least 200 images in DNG will fit on a 2Gb card.  That ought to be plenty for a day out, no? Hardly a challenge. 

That's amazing, a 2gb card in my M9 gives 54 DNG or 43 DNG + Fine JPG.

1 hour ago, Topsy said:

The M9 has a Kodak 18 MPx KAF-18500 sensor whereas the M8 has a Kodak 10 MPx KAF-10500 sensor so there's going to be a bit of difference in the space required for DNGs and DNG+JPEGs.

Pete.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
vor 23 Stunden schrieb Topsy:

Looks like you use the uncompressed DNG raws. Not really necessary. The way, how raws are compressed to half size is not done by simply stripping the lower 8 bits of every 16 bit gray value (as some claim). It's a compression scheme where it is almost impossible to loose information, so you do not have to worry about using that. It not only saves space on the SD-Card - it also saves time for writing the data to slower cards.

Edited by 3D-Kraft.com
  • Thanks 1