Is the M8 still worth buying in 2022-2023?

maidenfan84

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, markc2 said:

The M8 prices are around the price of a SL now, and man it's hard to justify being so close to the SL. I got to try out a 240 and an Sl, the SL with the AF lens was so fast at everything I felt like a butterfly flying around the camera store, stream of conscious shooting it felt like. The other part of me felt like the SL was a point and shoot of the very highest order. Then I tried the M240 and wow, I started to think about what I wanted to compose, all that manual stuff. At the same time I kept on thinking WOW what would the SL be like with a M lens on it. I'm still on the fence, about the whole thing, if I could find an M8 for a decent price not SL prices but reasonable ARGG decisions, decisions. 

and old S walks into the building with a decent price tag as well. Will it ever end 🙂

In the Nordics, the M8 is basically the same price as an M240. Also the M-P 240 is getting the level of M9. I sold my M-P 240 to just use my M8 and M6.

I did not like the digital files from the M-P too be honest, specially coming from an M8 it was too much of an culture clash. M8 has super genuine feeling in what it delivers in comparison to the more modern M-models. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Its a valid question even today.

I recently sold a whole bunch of M bodies, mostly film.

The ones I kept were M2,M3 and M8.2 BP (M9p went )

Even today the colors are just different and for me 'better' than other digital Leica's.

Will it break one day?, maybe, did my M9P break after 1 year? sure it did.

My M8.2 BP is more than 10 years old, has 50k shutter value and works as perfect as on Day 1.

A beautiful digital rangefinder for a reasonable price today.

Enjoy

Andy

• Like 7

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

Absolutely still worth it. I run it alongside my far more modern m10r and very often prefer it’s output. This pic is a few months old, when testing the 24mm Elmar on this body. Love the colours. This is my never sell camera. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by costa43
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got one a couple months ago and adore mine. I can't remember the last time I "bonded" so instantly with a camera & its output… and I have had a lot of cameras from a lot of manufacturers.

On 3/4/2024 at 3:08 PM, costa43 said:

Absolutely still worth it. I run it alongside my far more modern m10r and very often prefer it’s output. This pic is a few months old, when testing the 24mm Elmar on this body. Love the colours. This is my never sell camera. 

Just wonderful! The composition, your adorable model, the pastel colors, the rendering…

That 24mm Elmar is the one Leica lens I am absolutely determined to get.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, spiffariffic said:

I got one a couple months ago and adore mine. I can't remember the last time I "bonded" so instantly with a camera & its output… and I have had a lot of cameras from a lot of manufacturers.

Just wonderful! The composition, your adorable model, the pastel colors, the rendering…

That 24mm Elmar is the one Leica lens I am absolutely determined to get.

You are absolutely right.

• Like 1