Antwerp meeting September 3/4 2022

pegelli

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I attended my first Leica meeting earlier this year in Tilburg. It was a very enjoyable experience and over dinner we discussed the possibility of an Antwerp meeting about a year after the Tilburg one. Since I live close I'm willing to coördinate that just lik Paulus did it for the Tilburg meeting in August 2021. In case there are other members living close I would certainly welcome organising it together, much more fun than doing it alone.

There's plenty to see and photograph in Antwerp and hotels/catering possibilities abundent. We could for instance start at the MAS which has a free accessible observation deck at the 10th floor and after that make our way to the old city with nice churches, alleys, the monumental central station and then further south along the water to the modern architecture of the new courthouse. That walk will probably fill the day. If needed we can also look at a multi day event, enough possibilities.

So my question is if there is interest to set up something like that and if there are any dates we should plan for or really avoid based on people's calendar.

Obviously this all assumes COVID allows such a gathering, if not we'll be in the same postponement routine that the Tilburg meeting suffered from, but let's be optimistic it can be pulled off safely.

So post your interest, questions and suggestions below so we can start the planning process.

• Like 2

That sounds like a nice idea and I'll come if I can.  I'll be coming from London so the state of Covid at the time and quarantine requirements etc might have a say but I've managed to make it along to Paulus's first meetup in Tilburg, and the ones in s'Hertogenbosch, and Nijmegen and enjoyed them all so if things goes well ...  

Pete.

• Like 1

You will see me in Antwerpen Pete, it will be good!

I always have a beer and a Lasagna in " Paters Vaatje " near de Eiermarkt. / Cathedral every time I visit Antwerpen, the last 30 years. It's a habit I really like to keep because the café stays the same. ( No real toilet for women ...) 

https://www.patersvaetje.be/nl/

• Like 2

I doubt we shall be able to make it I’m afraid but I’m sure my friends Kim and Wim would welcome you for lunch at their place Blend on Londenstraat! If you forgive this gratuitous plug for them, they don’t know I’ve mentioned them yet 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would love to come - Covid, work travel and family permitting. If 1st weekend of August, I can bring the family with me and for €2 per pose, they will be happy to vogue it for you. We were last in Antwerp on our way to Scotland for a wedding, where I was cajoled into buying a ring. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Thanks for all the responses, we already have eight tentative participants so I think that's enough to say it's on. I'm sure more will follow.

And Gibbo, sorry you can't make it but thanks a lot for your suggestion to look at Blend in the Londenstraat. They are only open for breakfast and lunch but it is an excellent place to start the day and it's close to the MAS from where we can overlook the whole city before going in. And we can plan the route such that Pater's vaatje is a good resting stop Paulus ;) , it's one of my favourite pubs as well.

So the next task is to start planning some more details, i.e. when and how long, 1 or 2 or even more days.

If Sandokan wants to take his family maybe we should pencil in the weekend of 6/7 August 2022 but for me currently all weekends in August work as well. In September for me 13/14 is out, all other weekends are possible. So it's time to confess your no-no dates or preferred dates to see if we can narrow down the possibilities.

pegelli, it is a shame we won’t be able to make it but I hope you do manage to go ahead and have a really good day. If you do decide to kick off at Blend I can contact my friend Wim Christiaen and arrange an introduction between you and him to make sure he looks after you well! 😉

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, pegelli said:

So it's time to confess your no-no dates or preferred dates to see if we can narrow down the possibilities.

At the moment I’m not planning anything more than a few days in advance, so I’m free anytime.

Edited by ianman
  • Like 2

vor 2 Stunden schrieb japo:

Hi all

I was born in antwerp and lived there for 65 years, so i know the city well.

I would like to participate but I am only available for the first two weekends of september.

You never stop to amaze me 65 years? There is not a spot of Antwerps accent in your voice? 

19 hours ago, japo said:

Hi all

I was born in antwerp and lived there for 65 years, so i know the city well.

I would like to participate but I am only available for the first two weekends of september.

Thanks japo, having a knowledgable guide is always a good thing so your availability narrows down the possibilites.

Since no other restrictions have been reported so far my proposal would be to pencil in the weekend of 3/4 september 2022 as our top option.

For those of you that don't plan so far in advance there's no problem putting it on your calendar a few month from now when your planning horizon starts including september 2022 ;)

@japo Where do you live now and would it make sense to get together some time before to plan a more detailed schedule and route to walk?