Rumor: New Heliar Classic 50mm f/1.5 VM

Danner

Advertisement (gone after registration)

14 hours ago, FrozenInTime said:

Yes, having fun. I think it's a keeper ; character of a MS Optics lens without the ergonomic quirks.

The DIY centre spot filter seems to perfectly balance out the f/1.5 falloff 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Whoa, glowy! 😀. If no one had said this came from the new heliar id assume it had been taken with a diffusion filter applied to it.

Hope to see future portrait shots which is were this lens would perform the most id imagine. I guess theres no need to buy a diffusion filter...or do you 🤔 ie max glow.

Congrats to all those who all ready gotten a copy.

All the best

Edited by cboy

20 hours ago, FrozenInTime said:

By special request - for @Ouroboros an extra frothy image 🙂

Special award coming your way...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cboy said:

Whoa, glowy! 😀. If no one had said this came from the new heliar id assume it had been taken with a diffusion filter applied to it.

46 minutes ago, ianman said:

What if someone wrote "The DIY centre spot filter seems to perfectly balance out the f/1.5 falloff"?  :)

\

First tried a 18 mm diameter sized dot , then increased it to 24 mm as used for the photos shown.

The dot seems invisible through the viewfinder at f/1.5 and f/2 then increasingly appears as stopped down further.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M10 f/1.5 spot filter

Dysart Pillars art installation

• Like 6

M10 no filter

Cropped 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Mr. Huff who talks to the deceased has resurrected a review of the Heliar.

https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2021/09/20/the-voigtlander-50-f-1-5-heliar-lens-review-the-dream-queen

He actually does a good job explaining the lens.

Over on the Fred Miranda site, he started the tests as if it was any other lens … then decided it can’t be treated so, and will continue after his third sample arrives, which will have just he same character as the first ones https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1719880?b=2

• Haha 1

After some setbacks, I finally put the new CV Heliar Classic 1.5 on my SL2 and took some photos. Very late to this party. I am not sure what to make of this lens in my shooting so far. I was really pumped for it and preordered the lens. I have no complaints about build quality or function. Maybe time will change my mind, but at the moment, it is off the camera and on my desk. It's a peculiar lens to be sure. It's a decent portrait lens if you are looking for a softer look. It does have a signature look to it. I don't have any outside portraits and I need to take a few to be fair to the lens.

I think I am learning that I like fast, sharp lenses (the CV Nokton 1.5 ii is on my camera now). Softer lenses don't seem to do it for me. I will continue testing and experimenting with it. I don't think it will make it's way off my shelf very often. Maybe this will change with time as taste sometimes does.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 6bit said:

After some setbacks, I finally put the new CV Heliar Classic 1.5 on my SL2 and took some photos. Very late to this party. I am not sure what to make of this lens in my shooting so far. I was really pumped for it and preordered the lens. I have no complaints about build quality or function. Maybe time will change my mind, but at the moment, it is off the camera and on my desk. It's a peculiar lens to be sure. It's a decent portrait lens if you are looking for a softer look. It does have a signature look to it. I don't have any outside portraits and I need to take a few to be fair to the lens.

I think I am learning that I like fast, sharp lenses (the CV Nokton 1.5 ii is on my camera now). Softer lenses don't seem to do it for me. I will continue testing and experimenting with it. I don't think it will make it's way off my shelf very often. Maybe this will change with time as taste sometimes does.

Not a lens you'd buy as your only 50mm, but different enough from the rest of the choices to be a very interesting lens. 

I'm wondering if CV have taken some inspiration from the success of Lensbaby's Velvet range with the Heliar Classic.  If CV have a similar 'family' of focal lengths (28mm, 50mm, 75/85/90mm) in mind for the Heliar Classic as a future range of lenses with similar attributes I think they might be onto something, especially for wedding and portrait photographers.

Time will tell.  In the meantime, I'm enjoying mine very much.

Edited by Ouroboros
  • Like 2

M10 Heliar 50mm with ND 2 stop f/1.5 

RF focused 0.7m

• Like 4

M10 Heliar 50mm with ND 2 stop f/1.5 

• Like 9

On 9/24/2021 at 12:16 PM, Ouroboros said:

If CV have a similar 'family' of focal lengths (28mm, 50mm, 75/85/90mm) in mind for the Heliar Classic as a future range of lenses with similar attributes I think they might be onto something, especially for wedding and portrait photographers.

That would be a good things - the 50mm Heliar has less glow than the MS 35mm 1.4 Apoqualia wide open

I think CV would do well to make a character 35mm lens; it's often involves quite a lot of bending down to make juxtapositions within the 50mm frame.

M10 Heliar 50mm ND f/1.5

• Like 5

On 9/17/2021 at 4:20 PM, convexferret said:

So, does anyone have the new Heliar f1.5 and the old 50 f2 from the last decade and can compare them. My 50 f2 while it has character doesn't seem anything like as "funky" as the new f1.5.

Here you go. Just managed to take a few entirely unremarkable pictures with the Heliar 50/1.5 and the Heliar 50/2 (2006 "250 Jahre" version). Nothing scientific, all handheld on the M10P ASC. Default processing in LR except slight contrast boost (same amount for all) and WB equalisation.

Besides the obvious differences in overall rendering visible on these garden shots, the 50/2 appears sharper to my eyes (possibly a combination of higher contrast and higher resolution – haven’t pixel-peeped yet) at f/2 at medium (and presumably longer) focus distances.

Heliar 50/1.5 @ f/1.5 (for reference)

Heliar 50/1.5 @ f/2

Heliar 50/2 @ f/2

In turn, the teddy bear shots below suggest that the design of the 50/1.5 was perhaps optimised for center sharpness at close distance, which would kind of make sense given that its MFD is slightly under 50cm (with LV/EVF) compared to about 1m for the 50/2.

Again, these are very preliminary impressions. And no, I haven’t been able to look at bokeh differences yet…

Heliar 50/1.5 @ f/1.5 (for reference)

Heliar 50/1.5 @ f/2

Heliar 50/2 @ f/2

Edited by Ecar
  • Thanks 1

The more I use the 50mm Heliar Classic f1.5 the more I like it.  I think CV have come up with one of the most interesting lenses currently available in M mount.

I will say it's a much easier lens to carry/focus/use than my long departed late version noctilux f1 was.  I like the gentle softness and low contrast of the lens for portraits very much and I'd certainly use it for wedding photography.  No froth!

Leica MP

50mm f1.5 Heliar Classic

TMax 100 in HC-110

From around 5’ distance at f1.5:

Edited by Ouroboros
  • Like 13

Hello All,

I've also recently acquired this super interesting piece of "toy". I haven't had much time yet, but I've played around with it on my M8, but only in b&w for the time being as I don't have IR cut filter in 49mm. I really look forward to trying it on my M6 with some nice film stock.

So, with M8 at f1.5:

• Like 5