Should I sell my Rolex to buy a Leica M10R?

Rodrigo castillo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Remember that Leica offered two other Monochroms before M10-M.

I used first one M9 based with pleasure, then when I could, the M246.

Those are good enough for me, sometimes more than I would need.

So I never buy M10-M which must be very nice but a large bit more financial effort.

Rodrigo, if you buy Monochrom I think that the M246 can be (now) good choice, no worry of sensor corrosion or short battery life (as user of M10 myself),

as amateur 24Mpix files are way enough for me.

have a read here (link to ...)

You may even keep your Rolex 😉.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Remember that Leica offered two other Monochroms before M10-M.

I used first one M9 based with pleasure, then when I could, the M246.

Those are good enough for me, sometimes more than I would need.

So I never buy M10-M which must be very nice but a large bit more financial effort.

Rodrigo, if you buy Monochrom I think that the M246 can be (now) good choice, no worry of sensor corrosion or short battery life (as user of M10 myself),

as amateur 24Mpix files are way enough for me.

have a read here (link to ...)

You may even keep your Rolex 😉.

Yes, but a good M246 is 5000 dollars … what is this ?

I have come to the conclusion that I do not need a Leica M10.  Not an M10R, not a Leica M10M, or anything like that ... that my photographs will not be better and that I must seek the maximum of my potential in the equipment I already have ....  I don't need a Leica M10.  The problem is that I want it even though I don't need it.,….  so the only question that remains is… .. what is a suitable price and where can I look for it….  I live in Chile ... but I will be in Europe in December of this year

On 7/27/2021 at 11:22 PM, derleicaman said:

Digital Leicas are not a great investment, but they retain their value than other digital cameras. Film Leicas, mainly M cameras are gaining in value. Leica lenses on the other hand are appreciating quite nicely.

i would cut your losses and sell off some of your non-Leica cameras to buy an M10-R.

I did sell one of my Rolexes years ago to buy more Leica gear. Explorer II Coke version, so I know where you’re coming from!

you are completely correct.  In fact, it's not just about digital cameras, anything that involves batteries or electronics retains less value than purely mechanical.  Just for example, I have a Hasselblad EXL camera (that is, with a motor), I paid about 800 euros for it with a lens 3 years ago and today it costs the same 800 euros on the market, cents plus cents less.  Less than two years ago I bought a 500 cm hasselblad without lens for 1000 euros, today it costs around 1500. Electronics are living very poorly.  A totally mechanical machine, unless it has gone through a tornado, can always be repaired for little money (at least in my country), while electronics when it fails are usually financially irreparable.  I have a Rolex, an IWC, an Omega, a Patek, a Panerai and several other minor watches ... the Rolex is the one that I use the least and at the same time the easiest to sell ... but I have convinced myself that for now it would be a mistake to sell it ... maybe in a few years I will need (hahahahah) a noctilux to force me to make that decision… ..

7 hours ago, Rodrigo castillo said:

I have come to the conclusion that I do not need a Leica M10.  Not an M10R, not a Leica M10M

Oh but you do need a M10R... listen to mi voice... M10R is awesome... it is nothing like you have experienced before with Leica... call the store... call the store...

But seriously, as I said before, go and TEST the M10R, it is a *completely* different camera to where you are now (M9)... maybe you fall in love. I can only strongly recommend it.
(FYI, I also bought one recently).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Rodrigo castillo said:

you are completely correct.  In fact, it's not just about digital cameras, anything that involves batteries or electronics retains less value than purely mechanical.  Just for example, I have a Hasselblad EXL camera (that is, with a motor), I paid about 800 euros for it with a lens 3 years ago and today it costs the same 800 euros on the market, cents plus cents less.  Less than two years ago I bought a 500 cm hasselblad without lens for 1000 euros, today it costs around 1500. Electronics are living very poorly.  A totally mechanical machine, unless it has gone through a tornado, can always be repaired for little money (at least in my country), while electronics when it fails are usually financially irreparable.  I have a Rolex, an IWC, an Omega, a Patek, a Panerai and several other minor watches ... the Rolex is the one that I use the least and at the same time the easiest to sell ... but I have convinced myself that for now it would be a mistake to sell it ... maybe in a few years I will need (hahahahah) a noctilux to force me to make that decision… ..

It would be worth tracking prices for your Rolex model on Chrono24. Rolex has adopted the same strategy as Patek Philippe when it comes to stainless steel models, that less is more. The bulk of Rolex output has been shifted to precious metal and stainless steel models will now be the remit of Tudor. Prices for you model may stay high for quite some time…

On 7/27/2021 at 7:31 PM, Rodrigo castillo said:

I imagine that although each one of us lives his own doubts as if they were unique, surely many in this group have gone through the same doubts, and have made good and bad decisions.  In my presentation in the forum I already mentioned it, but since surely few saw it, I will repeat some things as context for my doubt.  I started taking photographs as a child, with analog cameras of my father that I no longer remember.  I learned the basics of analog development as a teenager (I am currently close to 50) and after a long history about 20 years ago I was increasingly opting for Canon digital ones.  From a cheap Canon EOS to full frame 5D, 5DII, 6D, 5DIII and some nice L lenses etc….  A few years ago, rather due to the need for a small business, I needed a smaller camera that would record good video, so I opted for a Sony A7RII, thinking that in addition to making good videos it would have a higher resolution than what I knew so far.  From that moment I discovered the wonder of mirrorless cameras, basically because of the possibility of using any lens, from the oldest and rarest to the most modern….  that led me to the leica world ... and once I had some R's and a couple of M's, curiosity led me to try more and more alternatives.  All this at the same time led me to buy my first analog camera in many years… a leicaflex to use my R lenses….  and go back to the dark room of my childhood ... and since I was developing my own negatives why not the medium format ... and buy a Mamiya, and since I love the medium format why not hasselblad ....  And since I have M lenses that have cost me an arm and a leg, why not an M body, and then a Leica M3 and then a Leica M9….  I imagine this is a story known to many….  well then ….  I currently have an M3, an M9, an X2, a Licea CL analog and a Leica CL digital, all my Canon cameras, all my canon lenses, several Ricohs, analog and digital, an Olympus 35, a Nikon FE2, a Canon A1, one Minolta quartz two Hasselblad (500 EXL and 501 CM).  Needless to say about the lenses… but in a leica M mount a 50 Summicron v3, a 50 Summicron v4, a 90 Elmerit tele M, an old 90 mm f4, a 35 mm Sumaron 3.5, several Voitglanders, several 7Artisan and TTArtisan….  etc etc etc …… The point is that I love my cameras and my lenses, I use them all, but the experience of the Leica M and my question… to conclude… is….  should I sell some cameras and lenses to buy a hopefully unused Leica m10R and a pair of M lenses or should I sell my Rolex (which I hardly ever use) to buy a Leica M10R and some lenses….  I know I'm being funny… .. but this is really my dilemma… .. I know they will tell me that only I can know and that it depends on what I want….  maybe the only answer to that is….  I want to stop at least for a while looking for the perfect image and rest assured knowing that I have the perfect camera and the perfect lenses and that if I don't take better photos, as always it's just because I'm not close enough ...

I think it's a mistake to attempt to apply logic to buying a Rolex or Leica M. But I do have a long list of excuses for both that I am happy to share 😉

Whether either keeps perfect time or takes the perfect image is another never ending discussion. Based upon what you wrote I think it would be a worthy endeavor for you to figure out how to get your M10-R + a couple of Leica M lenses kit. Which can also be sold if it doesn't work out for you for one reason or the other. At least for this period in my life where photography is very important to me, if I lost it all tomorrow, I'd never forget my Leica M kit experience. 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, LBJ2 said:

I think it's a mistake to attempt to apply logic to buying a Rolex or Leica M. But I do have a long list of excuses for both that I am happy to share 😉

Whether either keeps perfect time or takes the perfect image is another never ending discussion. Based upon what you wrote I think it would be a worthy endeavor for you to figure out how to get your M10-R + a couple of Leica M lenses kit. Which can also be sold if it doesn't work out for you for one reason or the other. At least for this period in my life where photography is very important to me, if I lost it all tomorrow, I'd never forget my Leica M kit experience. 

I like ur last sentence: "if I lost it all tomorrow, I'd never forget my Leica M kit experience." When i step into the Leica shop for my first time and was given a demo on Q2. My hands just felt right with the Q2: the handling, the feel, the click. I held on different brands of cameras like Sony and Canon and dont get that feel. After i left the shop, i ponder over it and think should i really sink in and get this Leica camera or is it just a brand feeling. The Leica Boutique was able to also arrange for a loaner unit to test run it. 
In the end, i decided just buy it and if i really dont like it... just sell off and i just treated as as rental cost for the amount lost. So far from Q2, i end up customising the leather color and the unit is in the service centre. 
From Q2, i did a try on the M10 system and wow ... the size of the camera and lens size. wow just fits me and i now still trying to justify should i get M10 with M lens. For Q2, i will continue to keep and use it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, steve 1959 said:

This is a pathetic and sad thread in my view and in very poor taste.

who gives a F*** really? 

Well, lemmeseehere:  90 posts before yours - it would appear that there are a whole lot of f@cks being given by a whole lot of people.

That's why we come to the l-camera-forum:  Because we have SO many f@cks to give. 😊

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Sparrow

Who will love a little Sparrow
Who's travelled far and cries for rest?
"Not I", said the Oak Tree
"I won't share my branches with no Sparrow's nest
And my blanket of leaves won't warm her cold breast"

Who will love a little Sparrow?
And who will speak a kindly word?
"Not I, " said the Swan
"The entire idea is utterly absurd
I'd be laughed at and scorned if the other Swans heard"

And who will take pity in his heart?
And who will feed a starving Sparrow?
"Not I", said the golden Wheat
"I would if I could, but I cannot, I know
I need all my grain to prosper and grow"

Will no one write her eulogy?
"I will", said the Earth
"For all I've created returns unto me
From dust were ye made and dust ye shall be"

Simon&Garfunkel

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Haha 1

On 7/28/2021 at 6:31 PM, tom0511 said:

is this the one without date and a little thinner?

With date but not thinner. They are all same thickness. Prices do not vary much depending on date/no date. Important they are in good condition with original parts.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Sparrow

Who will love a little Sparrow
Who's travelled far and cries for rest?
"Not I", said the Oak Tree
"I won't share my branches with no Sparrow's nest
And my blanket of leaves won't warm her cold breast"

And who will speak a kindly word?
"Not I, " said the Swan
"The entire idea is utterly absurd
I'd be laughed at and scorned if the other Swans heard"

And who will take pity in his heart?
And who will feed a starving Sparrow?
"Not I", said the golden Wheat
"I would if I could, but I cannot, I know
I need all my grain to prosper and grow"

Will no one write her eulogy?
"I will", said the Earth
"For all I've created returns unto me
From dust were ye made and dust ye shall be"

Simon&Garfunkel

From dust were ye made and dust ye shall be…. Yes ….. thank you….

• Haha 1

@Rodrigo castillo  The august minds of l-camera-forum have ground on for nigh to a hundred posts regarding your original question, and I would certainly expect no less.  If you have not yet come to a decision, perhaps this video will provide much needed counsel on the matter:  

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Haha 1