Should I sell my Rolex to buy a Leica M10R?

Rodrigo castillo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Figuring out the 'enjoyment factor' / $ (£, €) is always tricky. I'm now of the opinion that it is photographic images that I enjoy most. The equipment used to take it is certainly important, but it rarely rarely benefits me dramatically enough in terms of enjoyment of either equipment usage or the final image to make it worth my while buying the latest and greatest. That said, I don't like having unused stuff lying around either.

Buy a Porsche.  There's nothing like the sound, fury and control experienced while driving a 911.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by rnl
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, rnl said:

Buy a Porsche.  There's nothing like the sound, fury and control experienced while driving a 911.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

A bet the pictures out of this car are terrible!

not sure this forum has become a car and watches measuring contest. so uninteresting for a creative person.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Splendid cars, we have choices, Bugatti/Ferrari/Lamborghini/Audi/Maserati/etc.

Splendid photo gears only one brand choice (really ? 😇), even not as expensive as splendid cars or watches

Can I have a look in your garage?

• Haha 1

On 8/8/2021 at 1:45 PM, Photoworks said:

A bet the pictures out of this car are terrible!

not sure this forum has become a car and watches measuring contest. so uninteresting for a creative person.

actually not...all taken from the driver's window. https://richardnlipow.com/western-massachusetts

Porsches and Leicas have a lot in common.  both are engineered to exacting tolerances and superbly perform.  It's not unlikely that someone who will blow $7000 for a mere rangefinder would not consider a Porsche.  

Edited by rnl

I wouldn't sell my sub date 116610LN personally. Some of Rolex's range are hard to come by and are snapped up by collectors with little chance for others to walk into an authorised dealer and buy.

This is true of stainless steel subs as well (or even in particular). I've never heard that a Rolex sub was easy to buy due to COVID, as the pandemic didn't affect their target market for the most part, and a lot of people had greater discretionary income due to savings from not being able or willing to travel. In fact, I was very lucky to buy mine during COVID after about 2.5 years on a waiting list (You can wait up to 7 years now). My dealer only managed to offer it to me as the original recipient decided they wanted the newer version which was 1mm bigger, as that was due to come out shortly after.

There are a lot of homage watches that look like a Rolex but it isn't the same. Some of the super fakes are getting close but you lose the heritage and feeling of owning the genuine article. Besides, getting caught with one couldn't be a good feeling. 

I appreciate Rolexs for some of the same reasons I appreciate my Leica, although the Leica is a more practical tool for me. Rolex does maintain an artificial shortage and for many of their popular models, if you can buy one in-store at retail prices, you can sell them for a profit immediately on sites like Chrono24. I could have listed mine for sale for an additional $5,000 the very day I bought it, a tempting offer but one I couldn't go through with after such a lengthy wait.

An Oyster Perpetual is a fine watch but they are easier to come by. My AD always has them on display. If the timepiece doesn't have a sentimental value to you then you may consider selling it, but my sub like my M10 represent milestones in my life, and something I've worked hard for and up to over time. 

I do however have a supercharged V8 Jaguar XF that I love but am going to sell. It's the best car I've owned and it has only has 20k on the clock. But I can't justify keeping it (I have a new management car) even though I love it, and when I do eventually sell it, I'll be buying some Leica glass. Some people tell me to sell my watches instead, and to an extent, it makes sense. But what I am willing to part with doesn't come down to pure logic, but a feeling, and that feeling is weighed against the intrinsic and practical feeling I have about something else. That's why only you can decide whether a new camera is worth more to you than your watch. 

The only actual advice I can give is please be careful, and factor in the often artificial appeal of something new. It's tempting to weigh something new as being heavier, and I have sold a few items in my time to buy something else I thought I valued more (because it was new and novel), only to regret it later. I wear my sub daily so it has a great appeal to me and I prefer to rely on my timepiece for the time over my phone (which is more accurate).

I've seen similar stories on here with people who have done the same thing with lenses, only to purchase them again later.

I wear my sub daily so it has a great appeal to me and I prefer to rely on my timepiece for the time over my phone (which is more accurate).

My Rolex is also my daily driver.. has been since 1975... It was acquired for practical reason: a time check whilst navigating offshore.  It's had 3 CLA's so far.

7 hours ago, Harvard Kiwi said:

. I wear my sub daily so it has a great appeal to me and I prefer to rely on my timepiece for the time over my phone (which is more accurate).

My Rolex is also my daily driver.. has been since 1975... It was acquired for practical reason: a time check whilst navigating offshore.  It's had 3 CLA's so far.

I'd never part with it for a camera... or any other reason, come to think of it.  :)

Edited by Stephen.s1