Should I sell my Rolex to buy a Leica M10R?

Rodrigo castillo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 hours ago, Rodrigo castillo said:

which is great news….  if you are going to waste your money on something, a Leica Digital is a little less stupid as an investment than a sports car ... buy a leica m10 today claims to have lost a few thousand dollars in 5 years ... a Porsche allows you to burn several thousand just to get it out of store on the street

well, these days, used Porsche prices are on the rise ....

I don't know which Rolex you own. FWIW I bought my Submariner date in HK in 1993 for just under $2,000. I just checked Chrono24 and that watch now sells used for as much as $14,000. If your watch is a high demand model I would't sell it.

Erik

Edited by egrossman

I bought a GMT BLNR in 2015 for $6,000 and today that watch is selling for $23,500 on the used market.

But that growth pales into insignificance when you look at watches like the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak, Patek Philippe Aquanaut or Nautilus.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tom0511 said:

is this the one without date and a little thinner?

No it's the date model but with thinner lugs than the modern design 

The comparable no date model is 14060 

(so catchy right? And we all (sic) complained at the 3 digit Typ numbers 😅

Edited by Adam Bonn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

an M9, an X2, a Licea CL analog and a Leica CL digital, all my Canon cameras, all my canon lenses, several Ricohs, analog and digital, an Olympus 35, a Nikon FE2, a Canon A1, one Minolta quartz two Hasselblad (500 EXL and 501 CM).

You have too much to be able to use it all and get maximum from (or even consistent results) by knowing it after constant use.

M9, X2, both CLs, unused Canon cameras and lenses, unused Ricohs, all of the film SLRs and one Hassel could easily go for sale to get M10. M10R doesn't provide any difference in real life photography, IMO.

I have similar bunch and letting go to all of my Canon DSLRs and Ls to get A7c with couple of lenses or to get one L RF for my RP instead of selling it for A7C. Film cameras will be for sale as well. I only see reason to keep one LTM, M because price is going insane.

Most of your gear on the list is with aging electronics. It is wise, IMO, to sell it and get camera which still has support.

Also try to use cameras for something real. After getting used to Canon RP for family pictures and GRD III for street... I have no Leica urge anymore. I actually prefer my M-E 220 odd rendering over CMOS sensors for once in a while feel good use. I don't have urge to update my M-E 220 anymore.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

You have too much to be able to use it all and get maximum from (or even consistent results) by knowing it after constant use.

M9, X2, both CLs, unused Canon cameras and lenses, unused Ricohs, all of the film SLRs and one Hassel could easily go for sale to get M10. M10R doesn't provide any difference in real life photography, IMO.

I have similar bunch and letting go to all of my Canon DSLRs and Ls to get A7c with couple of lenses or to get one L RF for my RP instead of selling it for A7C. Film cameras will be for sale as well. I only see reason to keep one LTM, M because price is going insane.

Most of your gear on the list is with aging electronics. It is wise, IMO, to sell it and get camera which still has support.

Also try to use cameras for something real. After getting used to Canon RP for family pictures and GRD III for street... I have no Leica urge anymore. I actually prefer my M-E 220 odd rendering over CMOS sensors for once in a while feel good use. I don't have urge to update my M-E 220 anymore.  

Thank you very much for your words.  Even though several of your statements are not correct, I understand the substance of your message.  Like I said, I do use all my cameras, some more and some less, but I use all of them.  About using them for something real, again I don't know why you suppose I don't use them for something real, but anyway, I guess you suppose that…  However, I agree that digital cameras, especially not leicas, lose value very quickly….

Edited by Rodrigo castillo

I understand that some people buy a Rolex as an investment, hoping that the value will increase over time (no pun!).

Digital cameras only go down in value, and will eventually fail, hence my suggestion to sell some of the gear that you probably won't need if you buy a new digital Leica.

Anyway, 4 pages of advice, what have you decided to do?

29 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

I understand that some people buy a Rolex as an investment, hoping that the value will increase over time (no pun!).

Digital cameras only go down in value, and will eventually fail, hence my suggestion to sell some of the gear that you probably won't need if you buy a new digital Leica.

Anyway, 4 pages of advice, what have you decided to do?

well ... these have been 4 very funny pages ... with many off topic ... as I said before I will do what you say, I will sell another equipment that I use less and I will not sell the rolex

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rodrigo castillo said:

well ... these have been 4 very funny pages ... with many off topic ... as I said before I will do what you say, I will sell another equipment that I use less and I will not sell the rolex

Wise decision!

I'll never sell my Rolex, mostly for sentimental reasons. I paid £5 for it at a market in Turkey 20 years ago :)

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Rodrigo castillo said:

Thank you very much for your words.  Even though several of your statements are not correct, I understand the substance of your message.  Like I said, I do use all my cameras, some more and some less, but I use all of them.  About using them for something real, again I don't know why you suppose I don't use them for something real, but anyway, I guess you suppose that…  However, I agree that digital cameras, especially not leicas, lose value very quickly….

Looks like you have 48 hours in 24 hours calendar day. :) 

Why musicians prefers same instrument?  Fiddling. Quick settings changes, like on any EOS with looking only into VF. Quick scale focusing with M without looking at anything on the camera. Selecting shutter speed on film M without looking at camera. Keeping in mind camera limitations. It all needs time to practice and to keep this level of use. With similar list and quantities of cameras as yours, I honestly admit what I can't use them to full potential, if I'm "using them all".

Real use now also means for many of us as some light at the end of tunnel. I wasn't able to use my cameras to their full potential due to COVID situation. 

Now I'm rediscovering my cameras and deciding which one(s) to keep after getting back to real use. And it is going to take time, because each camera needs its time. 

3 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Looks like you have 48 hours in 24 hours calendar day. :) 

Why musicians prefers same instrument?  Fiddling. Quick settings changes, like on any EOS with looking only into VF. Quick scale focusing with M without looking at anything on the camera. Selecting shutter speed on film M without looking at camera. Keeping in mind camera limitations. It all needs time to practice and to keep this level of use. With similar list and quantities of cameras as yours, I honestly admit what I can't use them to full potential, if I'm "using them all".

Real use now also means for many of us as some light at the end of tunnel. I wasn't able to use my cameras to their full potential due to COVID situation. 

Now I'm rediscovering my cameras and deciding which one(s) to keep after getting back to real use. And it is going to take time, because each camera needs its time. 

of course, everyone has different experiences, different emotions and different ways of approaching photography, and the rest of life as well… in a certain way it will always be impossible to experience the full potential of absolutely nothing….  Well, the moment you even get close to it, what you will first learn along with the potential of each instrument are its limitations… and of course….  there are artists who dedicate 12 hours a day to a single instrument… and they are wonderful… others who can play dozens of instruments and also make wonderful music with each one of them or with none….  which only teaches us that each experience is unique.  Thank you very much for sharing yours.

Rodrigo,

out of topic,

each time I see Rodrigo (or Rodrigue), I always think of my old school days, reading and citing 'Le Cid':

(Rodrigue, as-tu du coeur ?), meaning Rodrigue do you have heart (or courage, or sensibility, or ...).

First time I saw more meanings than one in a word.

Just to say that, each life (or each human being) IS different, but so close if not differ by so small things, language/behavior/thinking/etc.

Arnaud

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Rodrigo,

out of topic,

each time I see Rodrigo (or Rodrigue), I always think of my old school days, reading and citing 'Le Cid':...

Sorry for continuing the off-topic bit (and I sincerely hope the OP doesn't take any offence as such certainly isn't my intention; far from it in fact) but isn't it peculiar how the human brain works? In my case when I saw Rodrigo's given name my mind immediately went wandering around the gardens of the Royal Palace of Aranjuez courtesy of Joaquin Rodrigo's magnificent Guitar Concerto.

Anyhow; Back to the Scheduled Program!

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, pippy said:

Sorry for continuing the off-topic bit but isn't it peculiar how the human brain works? In my case when I saw Rodrigo's given name my mind immediately went wandering around the gardens of the Royal Palace of Aranjuez courtesy of Joaquin Rodrigo's magnificent Guitar Concerto.

Anyhow; Back to the Scheduled Program!

Philip.

😄Aranjuez !

when I first travelled in central Spain, Aranjuez was my prime destination, never been to Madrid, though 🙃.

Still dreaming of Spain guiding by music,

Albéniz lead me to Sevilla, Almeria, Malaga, Jerez ...

Maybe by movies too : Tabernas (if we need to know ! )

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Thanks 2