Should I sell my Rolex to buy a Leica M10R?

Rodrigo castillo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

31 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

I thought when a guy had a midlife crisis, he was supposed to buy a Porsche, not a Leica. 🤔

which is great news….  if you are going to waste your money on something, a Leica Digital is a little less stupid as an investment than a sports car ... buy a leica m10 today claims to have lost a few thousand dollars in 5 years ... a Porsche allows you to burn several thousand just to get it out of store on the street

Digital Leicas are not a great investment, but they retain their value than other digital cameras. Film Leicas, mainly M cameras are gaining in value. Leica lenses on the other hand are appreciating quite nicely.

i would cut your losses and sell off some of your non-Leica cameras to buy an M10-R.

I did sell one of my Rolexes years ago to buy more Leica gear. Explorer II Coke version, so I know where you’re coming from!

23 minutes ago, Rodrigo castillo said:

which is great news….  if you are going to waste your money on something, a Leica Digital is a little less stupid as an investment than a sports car ... buy a leica m10 today claims to have lost a few thousand dollars in 5 years ... a Porsche allows you to burn several thousand just to get it out of store on the street

That depends.  I bought a new Porsche in 1986 and sold it for a profit in 1994.  But I didn’t buy it as an investment, nor do I buy camera gear for investment, only to use and enjoy.  Do whatever you want, based on your own circumstances.  GAS also requires no logic.  

Jeff

3 hours ago, Le Chef said:

Your Rolex is likely to continue to increase in value (check on Chrono24 for an idea of how much), whereas that’s not likely the same for your Leica gear. 

Yep, my 2004 Submariner for which I then paid EUR2, 300- is now worth over EUR10, 000-.

On the other hand my M9 for which I paid over EUR5, 000-  in 2009 is now a worthless brick due to sensor corrosion.....maybe this helps to answer your question.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by michali
  • Like 3

Hi.

You need TO TEST THE LEICA FIRST to see if it even suits your style and needs. Do a few rounds with it and thoroughly check if the OVF shooting is your cup of tea. This is one of the most important aspects of the move.
If it does, absolutely sell some gear, not the darn Rolex.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 1

Unfortunately a forum is an unlikely place to help you make a decision. Many people get frustrated with an individuals dilema and as you probably know you will receive a variety of opinions. I have suffered from gas for many years and love acquiring new cameras, I have a friend who does the same with guitars. My point is the M10R will not solve your dilema, I don't think you have a dilema it's just another camera you want. There's nothing wrong with that, other than the fact some people won't understand. Good luck with "your" decision. 

Why not the OP wait to sell for the M11.At least it helps justify the watch trade for a new model than a soon to be superseded one. The M9 and the other cameras can be used till then😉. Dont worry i dont think anyones  photography is going to drastically improve upon acquisition of a newer model. Lol

Never sell that Rolex. Any photograph taken with a Leica camera when the poster was not wearing a watch worth more than 30.000 $ will not be accepted on this forum, unless it is taken   from inside his Bentley !

• Haha 4

vor 7 Stunden schrieb a.noctilux:

As I don't know what is Rolex,

Rolex is a Swiss watch company producing watches, of which there are so many good replicas (a.k.a. fakes) on the market that you will never know if someone wearing a Rolex has the real thing or not. Which is why I would never buy a Rolex.

• Thanks 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb michali:

my 2004 Submariner for which I then paid EUR2, 300- is now worth over EUR10, 000-.

Why anyone would pay over EUR 10,000.- for your old Submariner if you can buy a brand new-new one for roughly EUR 7,500.- remains a mystery to me. And the current model has a vastly improved movement, too. 

vor 2 Stunden schrieb michali:

Yep, my 2004 Submariner for which I then paid EUR2, 300- is now worth over EUR10, 000-.

On the other hand my M9 for which I paid over EUR5, 000-  in 2009 is now a worthless brick due to sensor corrosion.....maybe this helps to answer your question.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

10.000 Euro??? Is it a platinium edition? Where you get the 10k Euro? (I think I own the same watch-that would be great news)

to the original post:

1) if thats your (main) dilemma your life should be great - so be happy

2) If Photo-GAS goes so far that you start selling other things (which are important for you) than I would suggest to make a pause buying new equipment

On the other side, both, m10r and Rolex are not the most needed things in life, so it will not influence you life much! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, derleicaman said:

Digital Leicas are not a great investment, but they retain their value than other digital cameras. Film Leicas, mainly M cameras are gaining in value. Leica lenses on the other hand are appreciating quite nicely.

i would cut your losses and sell off some of your non-Leica cameras to buy an M10-R.

I did sell one of my Rolexes years ago to buy more Leica gear. Explorer II Coke version, so I know where you’re coming from!

I completely agree, and empathise, with this. I sold a Rolex (GMT Master II) to buy a BP M4 and 28 Elmarit asph. Now the M4 has increased in value by about 100%, the Elmarit by 0%, and the Rolex by about 120%. Financially I should have kept the Rolex, but I’m happy I have the M4 and 28 Elmarit, from which I’ve made other memories. 

However, since you have so many other, essentially disposable, digital cameras, I would sell any or all of those before the Rolex. Digital cameras are, generally, a very bad store of value. I would realise that value while it still exists … 

Anyway, it’s your watch, and your camera stash, so you should do whatever makes you happy! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1