CL2 delayed.. anyone thought to buy an S5?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That's for telezooms. For primes in the 15-100 range difference can be quite substantial.

Anyway there's no 35mm f2, you're screwed with the 35mm 1.4, which is big and chunky for being a APS-C lens. I'd rather go for a Summicron version.

There's no 50mm f2 either. Only the Sigma 56 1.4

There's no dedicated f2.8 zoom at all

And no prime longer than 90mm equivalent either

I cannot imagine a decent market for the lenses you mention. The interest for a 75 mm prime must bevery small, the M versions are struggling already,  A 2.8 zoom would be huge and between the Summicron M, 18-56 TL and TL 35 there must be only a minimal market slice.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I cannot imagine a decent market for the lenses you mention. The interest for a 75 mm prime must bevery small, the M versions are struggling already,  A 2.8 zoom would be huge and between the Summicron M, 18-56 TL and TL 35 there must be only a minimal market slice.

This rather begs the question, Jaap.  When Simone lists some lenses that could be released, by way of example, you say there is no decent market.  Doesn't that translate into Leica saying, we don't see a decent market for the CL system, and isn't that the complaint that Simone and others have?

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am 31.5.2021 um 16:36 schrieb Rob7P:

Hi,

with the delayed CL2 anyone tought to buy a Panasonic S5? Lens are compatible and you get IBIS and even a full frame in a comparable compact package.. More Panasonic seems a "low brand" Leica because they share more than the lens: quality of photos should be high

I could not wait and did buy the Panasonic S5/20-60 zoom combo. I simply could not bond with it - shutter sound, handling of the menu system, EVF not bad, but could have been better, need to search for a Raw converter on the net to open the files, 60 mm too short for me, slow and unreliable autofocus. To top it all I did not like the Raws at all.  So the  camera went back as quick as lightning. I have found a different solution and am very happy with it. The CL is still there and cherished. No longer waiting for a  CL2 as the only reason to get one would be IBIS (and yes, sometimes focus reliability, but I know how to work around this).

3 hours ago, jaapv said:

And here is Panasonic to the rescue:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/2342351346/panasonic-announces-lumix-s-50mm-f1-8-l-mount-lens

The whole point of the L Alliance. Everybody making what they think they can sell, freeing Leica of the obligation to produce some lenses at a potential loss.

That's a full frame lens and kind of defeats the purpose of having a APS-C camera, doesn't it?

With a 67 filter, it will also be big

vor 10 Minuten schrieb rob_w:

So what did you find?

May I say it, despite my love for Leica? Canon R6 and kit zoom 24-105 f/4-7.1. The images are both sharp and smooth. Very good macro, excellent IBIS and autofocus, good color in JPG and CR3 (although there is a difference). I was running a risk, but I still  own good Canon EF lenses, so the solution was obvious - for me. The weight of the combo is quite comfortable. 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 12:02 AM, SoCalLeicanator said:

Leica DC said the same.  Man, I have to admit a sinking feeling when I look at my TL lens lineup (18,11-23,23,35,55-135) and think about the system being abandoned.  I am all in!

The M8 is high in course still. Ok, still in use by some. But it is from 2009, that is 12 years. For a camera a good investment.

41 minutes ago, Simone_DF said:

That's a full frame lens and kind of defeats the purpose of having a APS-C camera, doesn't it?

With a 67 filter, it will also be big

Why? it is fully functional, isn't it? And decent size, smaller than the 18-56 I guess. That it has an image circle that covers FF is neither here nor there. Many R lenses are suited to Medium Format. It does not impair their use on a 135 body. M lenses are for full frame - yet they are perfectly suited to the APS system.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EUSe said:

May I say it, despite my love for Leica? Canon R6 and kit zoom 24-105 f/4-7.1. The images are both sharp and smooth. Very good macro, excellent IBIS and autofocus, good color in JPG and CR3 (although there is a difference). I was running a risk, but I still  own good Canon EF lenses, so the solution was obvious - for me. The weight of the combo is quite comfortable. 

Have you been trying Canon with M optics?  Do you think that's ok ?

vor 22 Minuten schrieb Kim Dahl:

Have you been trying Canon with M optics?  Do you think that's ok ?

I must correct myself, there is a Metabones RF to M adaptor. I am not sure though that I would like to use anything but the generic RF lenses (or Canon EF, they work well) - one advantage of the R6 is its excellent autofocus and you don‘t get any Leica lens profiles.

Edited by EUSe
  • Like 1

Am 17.6.2021 um 13:45 schrieb Simone_DF:

That's for telezooms. For primes in the 15-100 range difference can be quite substantial.

Anyway there's no 35mm f2, you're screwed with the 35mm 1.4, which is big and chunky for being a APS-C lens. I'd rather go for a Summicron version.

There's no 50mm f2 either. Only the Sigma 56 1.4

There's no dedicated f2.8 zoom at all

And no prime longer than 90mm equivalent either

There are reasonably priced M telephotos that work well on the CL, I use the the 90 Elmarit f2.8 and a 135 Tele Elmar f4. Mostly I use a 105 Micro Nikkor and the 135. I have an M 35 Summilux but it lives on my M cameras, I did buy a super cheap L mount 35 f1.4 TTArtisan, which isn't bad but no TL Summilux, but the size of an M 35. I also have a 55 f1.4 7 Artisans which consistantly hits above its price and is the size of an M 50mm. If you want an M sized 35 the latest Summicrons and Summilux lenses should do.

CL 7 Artisans 55 f1.4

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by tommonego@gmail.com
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, rob_w said:

This rather begs the question, Jaap.  When Simone lists some lenses that could be released, by way of example, you say there is no decent market.  Doesn't that translate into Leica saying, we don't see a decent market for the CL system, and isn't that the complaint that Simone and others have?

The two are not the same. As Jaap says the L-Alliance is designed to spread the cost of development of different lenses. If those manufacturers see a market they will produce APSC lenses. The fact that the lenses Simone would like to see have not been produced by the L-Alliance tells you there would be little demand and no return on investment. Better to focus on the lenses the majority want.

As to the CL - you can bury it now, or wait for a possible CL2 to arrive. You lose nothing by waiting and gain nothing by hastily selling the kit you have.

• Like 3

On 6/18/2021 at 10:05 PM, EUSe said:

I must correct myself, there is a Metabones RF to M adaptor. I am not sure though that I would like to use anything but the generic RF lenses (or Canon EF, they work well) - one advantage of the R6 is its excellent autofocus and you don‘t get any Leica lens profiles.

Having been using the R6 for a few months now (with RF and EF lenses), may be of interest to others that URTH (formerly Gobe) make a perfectly decent M-RF adaptor, no issues with any lens I have tried.

I've backed off using  L mount for longer telephoto (birds/wildlife stuff), mainly because AF from others is in a different ball park these days, nice to put the MC-21 away and use my Canon lenses where they are most effective.  

I will stick with the CL because I like to combine it and an M for travel, but one system just does not do everything I want to do with my photography once I'd accepted that all was good in my world again, not any longer wishing for this or that from Leica, just happy with what I have and what it does, but if the CL2 does comes along, of course I will be interested.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/18/2021 at 11:31 PM, tommonego@gmail.com said:

There are reasonably priced M telephotos that work well on the CL, I use the the 90 Elmarit f2.8 and a 135 Tele Elmar f4. Mostly I use a 105 Micro Nikkor and the 135. I have an M 35 Summilux but it lives on my M cameras, I did buy a super cheap L mount 35 f1.4 TTArtisan, which isn't bad but no TL Summilux, but the size of an M 35. I also have a 55 f1.4 7 Artisans which consistantly hits above its price and is the size of an M 50mm. If you want an M sized 35 the latest Summicrons and Summilux lenses should do.

CL 7 Artisans 55 f1.4

These are all manual lenses and not autofocus lenses. More importantly they are not even native lenses and can be mount on any mirrorless camera on the market.

And anyway For M mount lenses I'd pick a Fuji any day, especially with their hybrid EVF/rangefinder

3 minutes ago, Simone_DF said:

For M mount lenses I'd pick a Fuji any day, especially with their hybrid EVF/rangefinder

You mean OVF i guess as there is no rangefinder in Fuji cameras as you know. My only experience is with my X-E2 which is a good camera indeed but its EVF doesn't play in the same league as that of the digital CL. As for M lenses i would not advise Fuji cameras for lenses wider than 35mm due to the thick Fuji sensor stack unless soft corners at wide apertures is not an issue. Now i have no experience with later Fuji cameras so take what i say with a lump of salt :cool:.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1