CL2 delayed.. anyone thought to buy an S5?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Simone_DF said:

These are all manual lenses and not autofocus lenses. More importantly they are not even native lenses and can be mount on any mirrorless camera on the market.

And anyway For M mount lenses I'd pick a Fuji any day, especially with their hybrid EVF/rangefinder

They are native on the CL in the sense that Leica did take the heritage lenses into account when optimizing the CL sensor (which Fuji did not do). And what is so hot about AF? I've happily done without for most of my photographic life.

• Like 2

vor 11 Stunden schrieb jaapv:

They are native on the CL in the sense that Leica did take the heritage lenses into account when optimizing the CL sensor (which Fuji did not do). And what is so hot about AF? I've happily done without for most of my photographic life.

I am not against manual lenses, especially Leica on Leica, but purchasing a camera that delivers spot-on focus and allows manual override just in case gave me a totally new (and delightful) experience after so many Leicas. Rangefinders no longer work for me when using tele lenses (eye correction).  But an excellent EVF will help greatly to focus manually. The CL EVF is good, but there are better ones. Leica will have to improve both the CL EVF and its autofocus for the next iteration. Otherwise no complaints - except that balance with longer lenses is not ideal  - the downside of a small body. I love the better TL lenses ,11-23, 35, 60, 55-135).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lct said:

You mean OVF i guess as there is no rangefinder in Fuji cameras as you know. My only experience is with my X-E2 which is a good camera indeed but its EVF doesn't play in the same league as that of the digital CL. As for M lenses i would not advise Fuji cameras for lenses wider than 35mm due to the thick Fuji sensor stack unless soft corners at wide apertures is not an issue. Now i have no experience with later Fuji cameras so take what i say with a lump of salt :cool:.

Yes you're right, I meant OVF! 

I never tried the X-E2 but I tried the X-E4 and it was ok. But I was thinking more about a X-Pro3 or X-T4. 

Thing is M lenses are a small niche, it's a nice to have thing, but I don't really care about having M compatibility in a camera. Native lenses come first. 

4 minutes ago, Studienkamera said:

If M mount lenses are a niche then L mount lenses are a micro niche. 

Let me clarify, what I meant is, most people buy a camera to be used with its native lenses, not M glass. That comes as a bonus.

I do totally understand that there are cases where people do buy a camera specifically for M and other manual glass options though.

I still have 4 M mount lenses myself!

Edited by Simone_DF

The Sigma 35/2 is excellent on the CL. And, it has an aperture ring, which makes me happy.

If you want a portrait lens, the Sigma 65/2 is also lovely. 

Price is nice, too.

We don't "need" more APS-C lenses, really. 

2 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

Light transmission remains the same (f/2) but the depth of field will change. You're getting the same view of a f/3 lens.

You're getting the same DoF that's all, right? What i don't understand is why preferring an APS 35/2 lens vs a FF 35/2 lens. Both have exactly the same DoF on the same APS body don't they. Or do you mean that the Sigma lens is too bulky. Just curious as i have no experience with Sigma lenses. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lct said:

You're getting the same DoF that's all, right? What i don't understand is why preferring an APS 35/2 lens vs a FF 35/2 lens. Both have exactly the same DoF on the same APS body don't they. Or do you mean that the Sigma lens is too bulky. Just curious as i have no experience with Sigma lenses. 

Look at the size difference between a full frame 35mm f2 vs a aps-c 35mm f2

The Fuji is also half the weight, 170 vs 325 and an overall smaller footprint. 

I'd rather use full frame lenses on full frame cameras like a S5 or a SL2-S at least I'll get some nice bonuses like better EVF, IBIS, flip screen etc.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Rob7P said:

maybe a different colour of current cameras? Q2 silver?

no, the special editions are basically the same cameras, sometimes with minor internal adjustments, but major external variations, so i think their hardware ID stays the same.

Edited by frame-it