CL2 delayed.. anyone thought to buy an S5?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

with the delayed CL2 anyone tought to buy a Panasonic S5? Lens are compatible and you get IBIS and even a full frame in a comparable compact package.. More Panasonic seems a "low brand" Leica because they share more than the lens: quality of photos should be high

6 minutes ago, Rob7P said:

As I wrote here a leica official seller told me the introduction was april

I talked to my AD in April and he said Leica had not told AD’s anything about a CL2 or the M11 for that matter. As Jaap says it can’t be late unless someone gave a launch date.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Le Chef said:

I talked to my AD in April and he said Leica had not told AD’s anything about a CL2 or the M11 for that matter. As Jaap says it can’t be late unless someone gave a launch date.

It was an offical Italy Leica store end of last year.. I don't think they talk if they don't know something.. Now they don't know because it was delayed.. BTW the question was about the S5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 minute ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Leica UK told me the rumours around then were wrong.

Supposing it had been true then.......no! 

I don't know where you live guys but a Seller that tell a Client to wait april before change a camera is not a rumor..  of course thing changed maybe for Covid and NOW no-one knows.. BTW the question was about the S5

5 minutes ago, Rob7P said:

I don't know where you live guys but a Seller that tell a Client to wait april before change a camera is not a rumor..  of course thing changed maybe for Covid and NOW no-one knows.. BTW the question was about the S5

Your rumour has as much chance of being right as my counter-rumour🙂

BTW my answer was about the S5.

I own the SL2-S as a very unequal counterweight to the CL. The S5 is lighter but still almost double the weight of the CL.

Weights: CL 365g; S5 714g; SL2-S 931g
And that's before you add TL lenses to the CL and L lenses to the other two..

I have just never considered the S5 or the SL2 as comparable to the CL. I like both CL and SL2-S, for their own purposes - neither could substitute for the other, and nor could the S5 (substitute for the CL).
I don't doubt the S5 is very capable, but I'm content with the SL2-S and CL - the S5 would add nothing.
My name is down for a CL2, on the assumption that it will be of a similar weight and size.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rob7P said:

It's certainly not a rumor. It is not from an official rumor site!  :)

it's just your personal dream. 

47 minutes ago, Rob7P said:

As I wrote here a leica official seller told me the introduction was april

Well, I doubt that anybody outside the development group in Wetzlar knows, and they are not telling.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Einst_Stein said:

It's certainly not a rumor. It is not from an official rumor site!  :)

it's just your personal dream. 

So funny that 6 month ago when I wrote it here everyone agrees and now the same thing is a fake ahahah. I don't care that's what it told me. What I care was the question about the panasonic

16 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I own the SL2-S as a very unequal counterweight to the CL. The S5 is lighter but still almost double the weight of the CL.

Weights: CL 365g; S5 714g; SL2-S 931g
And that's before you add TL lenses to the CL and L lenses to the other two..

I have just never considered the S5 or the SL2 as comparable to the CL. I like both CL and SL2-S, for their own purposes - neither could substitute for the other, and nor could the S5 (substitute for the CL).
I don't doubt the S5 is very capable, but I'm content with the SL2-S and CL - the S5 would add nothing.
My name is down for a CL2, on the assumption that it will be of a similar weight and size.

It make perfectly sense because you already have the full frame SL2-S. I've only an old T. Didn't look at weight but just to size. Thanks for pointing it out :)

• Like 1

I continue to enjoy my Leica CL. That's not a rumour. 

Nor am I considering any heavier alternative camera. And that is also, not a rumour 😂

I hope that answers your question.

Panasonic cameras have thick sensor stacks i've been told. Too thick for M wides anyway. As for comparing the size of the CL to that of the S5... 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I like both CL and SL2-S, for their own purposes - neither could substitute for the other, and nor could the S5 (substitute for the CL).

It is really interesting that you regard the CL and SL2-S as complementing one another and using them for different purposes. I find your remark particularly interesting as you opted for the SL2-S rather than the higher megapixel SL2. Once in a while I am tempted by some aspects of full frame cameras like the SL2-S which will always distinguish them from an APS-C system like the CL (i.e. the better high ISO performance of a full frame sensor compared with an APS-C sensor of the same generation and same pixel count). Hence I would be highly interested in your usage of the two systems and why you believe that they cannot substitute one another. Would you mind elaborating on your experience and the respective purposes. Thanks in advance! 

Delays are to be expected in all sectors at this stage. There's a significant global chip shortage that has been going on for a few months already. It's affecting all electronic manufacturers, regardless of the market. Have a look at the Sony Playstation 5 release, despite it has been launched in November, it's still very hard to get one and street prices are up to 3x the original price. Same for graphic cards, laptops, smartphones and yes, cameras too. If a behemot like Sony can't keep up production for one of their best selling products, imagine what it can do to a small company like Leica. I won't expect a CL2 anytime soon. At least not before the first quarter of 2022.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/the-global-chip-shortage-what-caused-it-how-long-will-it-last/

Edited by Simone_DF
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, lct said:

Panasonic cameras have thick sensor stacks i've been told. Too thick for M wides anyway. As for comparing the size of the CL to that of the S5... 

While this is true, remember that with the CL you're basically cropping. If you set the S5 to crop mode, the problem is gone on the S5 as well.

But the smearing doesn't apply to all lenses, it's mostly for wides and certain other lenses like the 50 Lux.

AFAIK almost all recent Voigtlanders perform very well since they are specifically designed to work on both Leica and Sony bodies