Leica Q2 Firmware 2.0

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One month later. Still no corrective firmware update for broken manual focus mode ! 
You see when you are too kind with Leica. Nothing happens. Will they update in one month? Nope. In 6 ? Within a year ?  Only with Q3 ? 

Really at least when you make a mistake, you should correct it ASAP. I am very disappointed with Leica. At least give us a timeframe. 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2020 at 9:30 AM, nicci78 said:

One month later. Still no corrective firmware update for broken manual focus mode ! 
You see when you are too kind with Leica. Nothing happens. Will they update in one month? Nope. In 6 ? Within a year ?  Only with Q3 ? 

Really at least when you make a mistake, you should correct it ASAP. I am very disappointed with Leica. At least give us a timeframe. 

Yes - would be nice.  I'm trying to get used to doing it from the new menu screen, but ugh - not as handy.

On 3/8/2020 at 1:30 PM, nicci78 said:

I would just sell the Q2 if I were you. You obviously don't like it (in its current form) or Leica very much, so you'd probably feel happier and we wouldn't have to hear you moan about it 20 times.

The way you keep banging on about it in such derogatory terms, like Leica owe you or something, I can tell you if I worked in development there I'd consider putting a fix at the bottom of the queue.

Edited by Chippy_boy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I note that you describe yourself as an Advanced Member, Chippy Boy.

What extra distinctions does a contributor need to accrue in order to advance to this exalted status?

Herz. Gluck.....

JLC.

Edited by PLOOT

27 minutes ago, PLOOT said:

I note that you describe yourself as an Advanced Member, Chippy Boy.

What extra distinctions does a contributor need to accrue in order to advance to this exalted status?

Herz. Gluck.....

JLC.

He didn't describe himself, it's based on the number of posts that this person made....that label changes automatically. 🤭

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

17 hours ago, LordCho said:

Man the hate that floats around Leica forums is incredible... people just don't get along here much... so opinionated.

I have seen this on a few of the threads here. 

The large majority of posts, though, are people sharing photos are their own insight on a product or technique and on occasion Leica rumors or lore.  I have found it very helpful.  Generally the opinions are constructive, but and only occasionally do I see a personal attack.  A far better ratio than I have seen in other corners of the web.

I am a new Lecia user and have been very happy with the site.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I’ve observed that when new cameras are introduced we get a wave of new forum participants. Lots of really good learning and collaboration plus sharing of photos. A small percentage of folks who either are genuinely disappointed and vent as well as a few who just enjoy being argumentative. In the past these folks have not stayed around and the discussions have settled down. The new camera becomes well understood including any idiosyncrasies that are “accepted”. The forum again returns to its typically supportive and courteous venue. I’m hopeful we’re  again moving back there. 
There’s also a learning “Leica” for folks that have bought their first of the brand. They spent a lot of money and a big premium. They expect perfection. Unfortunately, there are no perfect cameras. 
I’m more and more choosing to just ignore the arguments. If it gets too commonplace, I’ll move on.
I will say that this forum has done more to re-excite me about photography than any club or camera. I’ve been taking photos for 61 years. 
Dan

Edited by Leica Guy
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4

Am 13.3.2020 um 07:57 schrieb Leica Guy:

A small percentage of folks who either are genuinely disappointed and vent as well as a few who just enjoy being argumentative.

You nailed it!

This is a common problem with high priced items, people want total perfection and then stumble over some minor issues and become disappointed.
There is no perfect camera and a after switch from one brand to another it is always necessary to adapt on the new camera.
In analog times the switch from one brand to another was rather simple as there where only a few buttons and dials and they where almost identical on each SLR.
Today DSLR's have a overhelming amount of useful (and some not so useful) settings, dials, buttons, etc to give us more "creativity" but this need to mastered.
The backdraw of this software solutions is that we have to learn how to master the camera and this can be a "steep" curve moving over to a new system.
It also seems to me that some of the "complainers" are using the Q/Q2 in a way she was not designed for and that reason she show some "flaws" to someone.

The good thing on LEICA is that almost nobody complains about the stronges parts of a LEICA camera;
- build quality
- optical quality of their lenses
- the combination of the Q2's sensor and the lens

I consider the complaints about the software here as minor and they can be used to archiev the same with a different use or a workaround,
and i don't see a reasen to badmouth or bash LEICA for their way to program the firmware and include/exclude firmware options/functions.

if someone has serious problems to use his Q/Q2 then he should think about selling the camera and buy one she/he feels more comfortable rather
then be annoyed on every use.
I could use my Nikon D800 blindly and understood the menu and fuctions because i used her a lot and second
as it is cruical to understand the camera and it's functions for underwater photograpy as there can be unacessible settings whil in the housing.
If i would feel uncomfortable with my Q then i would have not switched over to the Q2 and tested another camera.

However, befor forking out 5000k in a cameri it is usually a good idea to rent it for a day or more to check if she "fit like a glove",
this avoid frustration and/or expensive wrong purchases.

Chris

Edited by PhotoCruiser
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, PhotoCruiser said:

You nailed it!

This is a common problem with high priced items, people want total perfection and then stumble over some minor issues and become disappointed.
There is no perfect camera and a after switch from one brand to another it is always necessary to adapt on the new camera.
In analog times the switch from one brand to another was rather simple as there where only a few buttons and dials and they where almost identical on each SLR.
Today DSLR's have a overhelming amount of useful (and some not so useful) settings, dials, buttons, etc to give us more "creativity" but this need to mastered.
The backdraw of this software solutions is that we have to learn how to master the camera and this can be a "steep" curve moving over to a new system.
It also seems to me that some of the "complainers" are using the Q/Q2 in a way she was not designed for and that reason she show some "flaws" to someone.

The good thing on LEICA is that almost nobody complains about the stronges parts of a LEICA camera;
- build quality
- optical quality of their lenses
- the combination of the Q2's sensor and the lens

I consider the complaints about the software here as minor and they can be used to archiev the same with a different use or a workaround,
and i don't see a reasen to badmouth or bash LEICA for their way to program the firmware and include/exclude firmware options/functions.

if someone has serious problems to use his Q/Q2 then he should think about selling the camera and buy one she/he feels more comfortable rather
then be annoyed on every use.
I could use my Nikon D800 blindly and understood the menu and fuctions because i used her a lot and second
as it is cruical to understand the camera and it's functions for underwater photograpy as there can be unacessible settings whil in the housing.
If i would feel uncomfortable with my Q then i would have not switched over to the Q2 and tested another camera.

However, befor forking out 5000k in a cameri it is usually a good idea to rent it for a day or more to check if she "fit like a glove",
this avoid frustration and/or expensive wrong purchases.

Chris

Yes, we are in total sync. My Canon 5D3 is a long way from perfect, but I know it really well. I can and have operated it in total darkness with no problems. It’s been a real workhorse and rock solid. 

I had a Q for 3 1/2 years before upgrading to the Q2. I was pleased as punch with the Q and now the Q2. Neither was perfect, but IQ was close to it. 

I often find it part of the fun challenge to understand a cameras limitations or idiosyncrasies and then work around them.  

Thanks Chris. 
Dan

• Like 3

I agree with the previous posts regarding why some people -- and perhaps especially first-time Leica owners -- get so disappointed.

I also think this may happen more with the Q2, both because it's somewhat more affordable than the M and SL families and thus may attract new Leica users, and because it is not (in my opinion) a general-purpose camera. Between the 28mm focal length and the fairly narrow range of applications where the user interface and functionality really shine, a new Q2 owner may be less likely to find that it falls in their photographic sweet spot. If someone buys a Q2 and doesn't like the focal length, they are really out of luck. If they thought they could use it to photograph wildlife, sports, or quickly moving small children, they're going to be disappointed. If they believe that what Leica calls "Face detect AF" really detects faces, well, caveat emptor -- they should have bought a Sony. But someone who loves the focal length, uses the very fast and capable spot AF or manual focus, and finds the physical controls fluid and intuitive is likely to love the camera.

I love my Q2, and with minor exceptions it does exactly for me what I thought it would, even more so with the 2.0 firmware. But I also have long term plans to buy a second camera, to use in situations where the Q2 is not a good fit. (That will probably be an interchangeable-lens autofocus camera and one or two longer lenses.) Luckily, for about 80% of my work the Q2 is just right. And where it isn't, I am experienced enough not the blame the camera.

• Like 7

Dear Leica Forum:
Good morning.
I have had a Leica Q2 for a few months and after updating the software, and making some settings, the central button of the directional selector does not allow activating the video function. I have reconfigured the Leica several times, without getting the center button again to select the video option.
Please, what should I do to get the center button back to allow access to video?
Thank you very much, greetings,

4 hours ago, Jose Pedro Campos said:

Dear Leica Forum:
Good morning.
I have had a Leica Q2 for a few months and after updating the software, and making some settings, the central button of the directional selector does not allow activating the video function. I have reconfigured the Leica several times, without getting the center button again to select the video option.
Please, what should I do to get the center button back to allow access to video?
Thank you very much, greetings,

With firmware 2.0 video activations have moved to the touchscreen. After pressing the Menu button and the new overview screen comes up, touch the Video option tab in the touchscreen to switch to video.

• Like 1

If you break it, fix it. 
Nobody ask for perfection. Just to use it the way it has always worked. 

Leica broke Q2 manual mode with latest firmware. They even acknowledge the problem via email response from CS.

So what’s the problem? The fix is very late. And now with COVID-19 it may never come this year. 

Stay safe and healthy. Be strong if you suffer from the disease. 
Protect the other and stay at home. 

• Like 2