Leica Q2 Firmware 2.0

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, Stevejack said:

Really disappointed that there is no option to set the right wheel button back to ISO.

That's how I've been shooting and I don't need to take my eye off the EVF to switch. What a disappointment... Now I need to use the FN button which is a pain. 

Leica giveth and Leica taketh away

Not sure what you mean. I press the button and turn the wheel to change ISO. By default, the wheel is set to exposure compensation. Am I missing something?

• Like 1

Thumbs-up here for FW 2.0. Some really useful additions and improvements.

But... I don't get the wheel button decision.

I just don't see the point of its function in manual focus, which seems to be "zoom to check focus", with no option to override.

When I want to check focus in MF I'll just nudge the focus ring, which (in my set-up) zooms and activates focus peaking.

If people asked for this, fine. But give the rest of us the the option to retain the function we chose for that button (ISO switching in my case).

It's really bad UX to arbitrarily remove the function of a button as a result of actions taken elsewhere, especially when that button is the easiest one to find by touch.

Did somebody on the design team actually say: "Manual focusers never need to switch ISO in a hurry"? Because if they did, they were wrong.

To reiterate, I'm really pleased with FW 2.0, but this one thing is puzzling.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Wireman said:

Thumbs-up here for FW 2.0. Some really useful additions and improvements.

But... I don't get the wheel button decision.

I just don't see the point of its function in manual focus, which seems to be "zoom to check focus", with no option to override.

When I want to check focus in MF I'll just nudge the focus ring, which (in my set-up) zooms and activates focus peaking.

If people asked for this, fine. But give the rest of us the the option to retain the function we chose for that button (ISO switching in my case).

It's really bad UX to arbitrarily remove the function of a button as a result of actions taken elsewhere, especially when that button is the easiest one to find by touch.

Did somebody on the design team actually say: "Manual focusers never need to switch ISO in a hurry"? Because if they did, they were wrong.

To reiterate, I'm really pleased with FW 2.0, but this one thing is puzzling.

The value of the change to a magnified display is for manual focusing in macro mode. It is absolutely helpful and operates exactly like my Canon DSLR’s. I agree that the loss of custom functions on the Thumb Wheel is very disappointing. I love the new feature especially when in situations like photographing flowers when outside in the presence of wind. It makes a big difference. I wish they had kept the Thumb Button functions unchanged and implemented the magnify mode with the set button or 4-way controller. Hopefully they’ll see these complaints and fix on the next release. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 hours ago, Leica Guy said:

The value of the change to a magnified display is for manual focusing in macro mode. It is absolutely helpful and operates exactly like my Canon DSLR’s. I agree that the loss of custom functions on the Thumb Wheel is very disappointing. I love the new feature especially when in situations like photographing flowers when outside in the presence of wind. It makes a big difference. I wish they had kept the Thumb Button functions unchanged and implemented the magnify mode with the set button or 4-way controller. Hopefully they’ll see these complaints and fix on the next release. 

OK. Makes sense. Maybe just toggle the function change when MF+macro is selected, assuming that's the primary reason for the decision.

On 2/8/2020 at 9:11 AM, iRandom said:

The digital zoom equivalent mm is already shown in the corner of the framelines. An option could easily be implemented - something like Digital Zoom preview: None, Partial, Full. None is what we have today. Partial is my proposal to zoom 10-20% larger FOV than the framelines. Full is zoom without showing any framelines - in this case a new icon could be added to indicate the zoom. The beauty of an EVF style camera is that these sorts of options can easily be implemented in software.

It is all kind of a moot point for me since I shoot DNG only and have moved to SW that doesn't automatically apply the crop from the zoom. 

I really like your idea for None, Partial, or Full, set via a menu option.  Hopefully Leica will give it some consideration. While they are at it, would be nice in image review if each click on the thumb wheel would be one crop; one click for 35mm, two clicks for 50mm, three clicks for 75mm, four and beyond to pixel peep.  

Leica, regarding the newest firmware update: please make the change in the right button function when in manual focus optional. I much prefer the original way this operated. I often use manual focus, especially when shooting landscapes and would like that button to still control ISO in that case. I use hyperfocal settings using the depth of field scale engraved on the lens. That is one of my favorite features of the Q2. For landscape shooters, digital lenses without engraved focus and depth of field scales are useless. 

Also, if you employ the digital zoom to the viewfinder, please make that optional as well. As an old M user, I prefer the way it works now but can see how others might prefer the zoom. 

Finally, please allow GPS data from a smart phone to be transferred to the camera data when FOTO is running and the image is triggered by the Q2’s shutter button.

FYI you should not upgrade to FW 2.0 until Leica fixed the non functional right wheel button in manual focus mode ! 
Incredibly annoying bug. 
Leica should even pull off the FW from its website. 

Edited by nicci78

1 hour ago, nicci78 said:

FYI you should not upgrade to FW 2.0 until Leica fixed the non functional right wheel button in manual focus mode ! 

With respect, I think this is unduly alarmist. It's clearly your view and very important to you. Bear in mind there are others of us who have benefited significantly from the firmware update with things such as avoiding accidental video and the much better auto exposure/auto focus lock.

Stephen

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Having a crippled camera in manual focus mode, is a critical issue for everybody. 

Leica has to address it ASAP. 

Camera works perfectly in MF, and ISO selection has to be done from the menu. It is not as good as it was before, or as it is in AF modes, but you can't call it a crippled camera 😉

It is not only ISO ! In manual focus, you lose ALL direct access to any function (white balance, metering, ISO, etc)  that you can otherwise access in AF mode. 

Everything that you can normally assigned to the right wheel function button is broken. Only access to stupid and redundant magnification for manual focusing. 
This is a big issue to lose access to the most practical and useful function button. 
It is not like Q2 has many to spare. It only got two. So losing 50% of them is a big deal. 

18 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Having a crippled camera in manual focus mode, is a critical issue for everybody. 

Leica has to address it ASAP. 

Sorry but that is complete nonsense.

Yes, it's a strange decision by Leica and hopefully they will change it. But your reaction is completely over the top.  I don't even notice it since I usually use auto-focus, as I suspect is the case for most Q2 owners.

That it is a big deal for you, we can see. It isn't for everybody.

Edited by Chippy_boy

1 hour ago, Chippy_boy said:

Sorry but that is complete nonsense.

Yes, it's a strange decision by Leica and hopefully they will change it. But your reaction is completely over the top.  I don't even notice it since I usually use auto-focus, as I suspect is the case for most Q2 owners.

That it is a big deal for you, we can see. It isn't for everybody.

I would add that while not as convenient, the one push of the menu button gets you to the quick menu which then covers the commonly used items such as ISO. I too am disappointed, but it’s not a critical concern for me. 

You are too kind with Leica. 
It is a mistake for sure. Not enough beta testing. They missed the issue. And they have to address it as soon as possible. Not in 6 months ! 

I expect that my 4990€ camera to work the exact same way in AF and in MF. Not some fully functional AF mode and a crippled MF mode. 
Don’t tell me that I can just use the function button in AF only. Then that in MF I will have to rely on the menu ? It is a really bad joke. 

Q2´s AF is too dumb to be rely on exclusively. I need to switch to MF when required. And I do not want to remember that for some stupid reason. I will not be able to change white balance or whatever in a pinch. 

Edited by nicci78

On 2/7/2020 at 11:54 AM, acg69 said:

World peace is a big deal, true...But there is something to be said about what is considered common / best practice and for a good reason too:) If they implement the way I propose (and other companies do anyway) they will accommodate those fortunate enough to be able to compose well through a peephole, as well as us less fortunate folk who would like the benefit of the whole LCD.

Well, if you think the 50mm or 75mm frames are pinholes, nothing else to say... stay safe.

16 hours ago, nicci78 said:

You are too kind with Leica. 
It is a mistake for sure. Not enough beta testing. They missed the issue. And they have to address it as soon as possible. Not in 6 months ! 

I expect that my 4990€ camera to work the exact same way in AF and in MF. Not some fully functional AF mode and a crippled MF mode. 
Don’t tell me that I can just use the function button in AF only. Then that in MF I will have to rely on the menu ? It is a really bad joke. 

Q2´s AF is too dumb to be rely on exclusively. I need to switch to MF when required. And I do not want to remember that for some stupid reason. I will not be able to change white balance or whatever in a pinch. 

You tell 'em mate. I am sure they will obey your orders.

On 2/14/2020 at 9:27 PM, nicci78 said:

Incredibly annoying bug. 
Leica should even pull off the FW from its website. 

I did upgrade already, but I think you’re 100% right... this is a big bug... it’s amazing (or not?) how Leica did this stupid change... and yes, hope we don’t have to wait 6 months until they fix it... not to talk about other bugs, like losing file coding name and other adjustements when you change the battery, or even switch on and off... unbelievable...!!!

• Like 1