Leica Q2 Firmware 2.0

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 2/15/2020 at 8:44 PM, errebe said:

Well, if you think the 50mm or 75mm frames are pinholes, nothing else to say... stay safe.

Yes, whatever... It is a legitimate point that you obviously fail to see. There is something to be said about the fact that this particular feature is implemented the way I propose from just about everyone else. And yes, the 75mm frame lines are virtually unusable for a lot of people and it has nothing to do with smart you-know-what remarks about staying safe. Nuff said;)

Edited by acg69

I have what will probably be an easy question to most but I am stumped. I just updated the software on my Leica Q2 before a wedding yesterday. I got to the wedding and in AF, I often could not move the focus on field or face detection where I wanted to.  Thus, I had to resort to manual which was ok in good light but not in very low light. At that point, I had to turn to my Nikon z7. ... very frustrating. 

I suspect & hope that it Is simply a setting that I missed!  Can you guys help?

Best

26 minutes ago, elopezso said:

I have what will probably be an easy question to most but I am stumped. I just updated the software on my Leica Q2 before a wedding yesterday. I got to the wedding and in AF, I often could not move the focus on field or face detection where I wanted to.  Thus, I had to resort to manual which was ok in good light but not in very low light. At that point, I had to turn to my Nikon z7. ... very frustrating. 

I suspect & hope that it Is simply a setting that I missed!  Can you guys help?

Best

Bummer. I’m very unsure how to help. What was scene mode in? It should be PAS OR PASM. 

If you meant you could not move the focus point, that can be done with the 4-way controller of if Touch AF is on with touching the rear LCD. I don’t think you can select a focus point or area with face detection. 

Edited by Leica Guy

FWIW, I think most people agree that locking down the thumbwheel button exclusively to focus zoom in manual focus mode was a mistake. We may just disagree on whether it's so bad that we would give up all the significant improvements that came along with it in 2.0. That probably comes down to shooting style.

• Like 2

For me it’s an annoyance and a disappointment, but the improvements overall are a considerable upgrade for operating the Q2. Hopefully Leica will fix soon. I get the frustration, but it’s not at all a deal breaker for me. 

Edited by Leica Guy

4 hours ago, acg69 said:

Yes, whatever... It is a legitimate point that you obviously fail to see. There is something to be said about the fact that this particular feature is implemented the way I propose from just about everyone else. And yes, the 75mm frame lines are virtually unusable for a lot of people and it has nothing to do with smart you-know-what remarks about staying safe. Nuff said;)

Ufffff... pls don’t get so bitter for no reason... ‘stay safe’ was just good will comment... stay as you wish...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, Leica Guy said:

For me it’s an annoyance and a disappointment, but the improvements overall are a considerable upgrade for operating the Q2. Hopefully Leica will fix soon. I get the frustration, but it’s not at all a deal breaker for me. 

It’s more than an annoyance as it ruined my photo taking ability. I think it’s a bug. I took out the battery this morning & put it back in and voila the problem appears to be gone. We will see. 

i know about setting on PASM or PAS. I also know how to use the thumb wheel. Hear is what was happening;  On the field focus setting, the focus box was surrounded by the red arrows or whatever and thus no matter what I did with the thumb wheel, the focus box would not move. So, I switched it to face detection. When it detected a face, perfect. But, of course, when it did not..... Then, I switched to manual focus.....

Has anyone else experienced this phenomena?

4 minutes ago, Leica28 said:

I have mine set to "spot" focusing and thus am able to move the + sign around the screen with the 4-way button.

I hear you, my friend.  Spot focus would have been fine if I was working in a more laid back setting but not for a fast-paced wedding. 

Thx for commenting. 

14 minutes ago, elopezso said:

It’s more than an annoyance as it ruined my photo taking ability. I think it’s a bug. I took out the battery this morning & put it back in and voila the problem appears to be gone. We will see. 

i know about setting on PASM or PAS. I also know how to use the thumb wheel. Hear is what was happening;  On the field focus setting, the focus box was surrounded by the red arrows or whatever and thus no matter what I did with the thumb wheel, the focus box would not move. So, I switched it to face detection. When it detected a face, perfect. But, of course, when it did not..... Then, I switched to manual focus.....

Has anyone else experienced this phenomena?

My message that it was an annoyance was not directed at your problem, but at the comment just prior to my reply. 

It does sound like your problem may be a bug. I’ve not experienced it or heard of anyone else with this symptom. On my camera when in field mode I can adjust the size with the Thumb Wheel then the Set button locks it in. 

Have you tried Resetting the camera? Removing the battery did a re-start, but I wonder if a reset would be even better. Certainly if it happens again, I’d do that. 

7 hours ago, Leica Guy said:

My message that it was an annoyance was not directed at your problem, but at the comment just prior to my reply. 

It does sound like your problem may be a bug. I’ve not experienced it or heard of anyone else with this symptom. On my camera when in field mode I can adjust the size with the Thumb Wheel then the Set button locks it in. 

Have you tried Resetting the camera? Removing the battery did a re-start, but I wonder if a reset would be even better. Certainly if it happens again, I’d do that. 

Thanks, will do a reset if it happens again. If I hadn’t been stressed at the wedding, might have taken the battery out or reset the camera but since I was taken by surprise as the wedding was about to begin....

Thx for commenting. 

This thumbwheel issue seems to be a bug, and apparently unknown from Leica ?

Question:

I did the recent firmware upgrade of the Q2. Unfortunately, as I use the Q2 only in manual focus, it seems we’ve lost a very important feature which is ISO setting on the thumbwheel.

Answer:

===============

Many thanks for your request.
You can switch from exposure to ISO with the setting right thunbwheel button.
If you press this button longer, you can assign the desired function to this button.
A downgrade to a previous firmware version is not possible.
Do not hesitate to contact us again if you have further questions.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / kind regards

===============

So I wrote back asking them to try it on a Q2. We'll see.

Edited by snooper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If we all sent a email to CS. It will be solved faster than later. 

The issue might not annoyed you at first. Then you will realised that the more you actually use it. It will drive you crazy each time the magnification kicked in for no reason. 

20 hours ago, acg69 said:

Yes, whatever... It is a legitimate point that you obviously fail to see. There is something to be said about the fact that this particular feature is implemented the way I propose from just about everyone else.

Everyone else who has a deep heritage in, and which still manufacturers, rangefinder cameras?  Who would that be?

Leica obviously thought the rangefinder style presentation with the crop lines was something in keeping with their heritage and an approach that most Leica users would appreciate.

Personally, I'd probably prefer the zoom to full screen but I am sure as heck not losing a moment's sleep over it one way or another.

Edited by Chippy_boy

I do not think disabling the custom functions when in MF is a bug. It looks to me to be a poor implementation for accessing a new feature. Leica does follow this forum so I expect they’re aware of the high level of frustration. Hopefully that translates to a better solution sooner rather than later. Until then, I plan to access the common functions when in MF by pushing the Menu button and using the quick menu. 

5 hours ago, elopezso said:

Thanks, will do a reset if it happens again. If I hadn’t been stressed at the wedding, might have taken the battery out or reset the camera but since I was taken by surprise as the wedding was about to begin....

Thx for commenting. 

A wedding is the last place I want my camera to malfunction. Already stressful and a pressure situation. Sounds like you made the best of it. My comments were never meant to lessen the challenges you faced and that the camera was operating in a weird way. Hopefully you still got most shots. 

• Like 1

The general consensus seems to be that Leica realises it's made a bit of a dog's dinner of 2.0 as far as the R wheel button's concerned.

So bring on 2.1...and I'm sure those of us who are less than ecstatically-happy with 2.0 will work round things as they presently are.

If I WERE in the least inclined to ditch my Q2- which, thank the Lord, I'm not, sir- what in the name of Jacques-Henri Lartigue would I exchange it for? The idea is ludicrous; the pleasure momentary; and the expense damnable....😉

One hope's one hasn't made such a, er, dog's dinner, of this posting as one did of one's first!

Herz. Gluck.....

JLC.

You know, this is my first experience with a level of rudeness uncommon on this forum.  The purpose here, as I understand it, is to learn, support and enjoy the Leica Q2.  This is a place of civil discussion aimed at becoming better as photographers when using a marvelously complex yet satisfying machine. I have to say that recent posts are simply making that experience less than it should be.  Let's all remember we are friends here...not here to assert our place as the smartest guy in the room.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

On 2/7/2020 at 6:24 AM, rfunnell said:

You're right It has silently disappeared  not to be talked about again.

I asked about it through the fotos app 9 months ago and was told to 'be patient'.

My GPS / Bluetooth Icon is still there and works with Fotos the same way it always has.  There is no big change with this firmware that I know of other than transfer speed - I have not tested this. 

However, you do have to go into Fotos and delete the Q2, then repair it following the instructions.  Then you will see the GPS Icon when connected to Fotos and for a brief period after disconnecting (and GPS will still work for a few non-remote shots before it stops as it has in the past).

Edited by bullmoon