Lost Film!

RobM

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My third roll with the Leica M-A was sent to Ilford/Harman in one of their own-label plastic bags for development. It included 34 shots from my on-going Water of Leith project (my local river) and two shots of my wife and daughter on Christmas Day. Just over a month later, and Harman say it never arrived.

I had intended to wait until the holiday period was over before posting it off, but Harman had an offer of a free fridge magnet for those who sent their rolls between Christmas and New Year. How could I resist?!

Well, it does seem lost, and I have been deeply saddened about it, more than I thought I would be. But two positives have come out of the experience:

1. Harman sent me not one but two very nice fridge magnets, and an FP4 lapel badge - it wasn't their fault it got lost in the post, so they didn't have to make this nice gesture, and

2. I have decided to bite the bullet and develop my own films from now on. I've resisted doing so for years, but as at least half of my images are from film, it is definitely something I should have started doing some years ago. It will also save me money in the long run. I'm going to start simply with Ilford HP5 and Cinestill Df96 Monobath, a changing bag, Paterson tank, etc, and hopefully grow in confidence from that to specific developers for specific jobs. 

Every cloud has a silver-halide lining! 🙂

• Like 8

6 hours ago, ironringer said:

A question to the OP in Edinburgh - was your return address marked on the mailing bag, to ensure safe return to sender? It is extremely rare for the Royal Mail to loose anything.

It wasn't. Stupid, I know. However, have you seen the Ilford post bags? Big writing with their name and address, and the contents include my address. I have some hope that it might yet turn up.

• Like 3

Bummer, lost film is always bad news, used to shoot 100's of E6 film for photography of eye patients. Every once in a while the lab would lose a roll (or send it to another hospital doing the same imaging). We would have to call the patient bring them back in, they were always happy, not, never fun.

I started using film when I received an M3 this fall, first rolls of b&w from labs were awful, I had a stainless steel tank, needed graduates and chemistry, liking my developed film so much better than I was getting from the labs I tried, really worth it. I am using Tmax 400 I bought this fall. with the SS tank was a 100ft roll of Tmax 100, using TMax Pro developer. The TMax 100 has to be 15 years old but still getting good results. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Graham (G4FUJ) said:

I'm in the fortunate position of having a good local lab where I can deliver and collect, without relying on any kind of post / courier service.

I hope your film turns up eventually Rob.

Many thanks, Graham. Lucky you 🙂 Mind you, I'm now looking forward to developing them myself. Well, I say that now...we shall see.

• Like 1

I have only sent off one roll of B+W in my life, and this was quite recently. I was being lazy, but also a little curious as to the outcome. It came back with more than a few scratches on. I won't be doing that again.

On 1/31/2020 at 7:50 AM, RobM said:

I have some hope that it might yet turn up.

I'm sure it will.

There's a very good App which you must download. I'm sure you will have heard of it. THIS is the web version, but the App provides you with a timer for each stage of the development process, and allows you to adjust your times for your particular technique. Well worth downloading.

Pete

8 hours ago, Stealth3kpl said:

There's a very good App which you must download. I'm sure you will have heard of it. THIS is the web version, but the App provides you with a timer for each stage of the development process, and allows you to adjust your times for your particular technique. Well worth downloading.

Fabulous app. Definitely one of the best investments I made for developing, which I’m very new too. 😎

• Like 2

I won't need the app yet, if using the Cinestill monobath, which seems straightforward to use. I'm more worried about getting the film out of the canister and into the tank while doing so in a dark changing bag. I'll use old negatives for practise before using the real thing. But it will take a few days before all the paraphernalia arrives. In the meantime I'm watching a number of helpful videos. 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 1:42 AM, ironringer said:

A question to the OP in Edinburgh - was your return address marked on the mailing bag, to ensure safe return to sender? It is extremely rare for the Royal Mail to loose anything.

Extremely rare? Not in my experience! Tickets I bought failed to turn up before Xmas and I regularly receive mail that isn't even addressed to me - I do the decent thing and post it on but I am sure some people don't bother.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RobM said:

I'm more worried about getting the film out of the canister

When I rewind my film, I make a point of not taking it completely into the canister (and bite off or crease the remaining leader so I don't accidentally reload the film). If I do take it into the canister, I pull the leader back out with a film picker. Then, at home, I neatly trim off the end of the film and take off the corners to make threading onto the reel easier. In the changing bag, I feed out the film a little at a time from the canister as I load it onto the reel so as to avoid a roll of loose film going crazy like a python in the humid bag getting covered in finger prints and detritus from the inside of the bag. When no more film can be fed from the canister, I use some scissors to cut the film from the canister. Does that make sense?

Pete

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

Extremely rare? Not in my experience! Tickets I bought failed to turn up before Xmas and I regularly receive mail that isn't even addressed to me - I do the decent thing and post it on but I am sure some people don't bother.

I find the Royal Mail very efficient. For example, I posted a parcel special delivery (with my return address in tiny print on the back of the parcel) on a monday, and on the tuesday the parcel arrived at my house cutting out the middle man i.e. the intended recipient.

With hindsight I should've missed out the walk to the post office, and just knocked on my door and handed it to myself. It would've saved a days wait.

Pete

Edited by Stealth3kpl
  • Haha 4

49 minutes ago, RobM said:

I won't need the app yet, if using the Cinestill monobath, which seems straightforward to use. I'm more worried about getting the film out of the canister and into the tank while doing so in a dark changing bag. I'll use old negatives for practise before using the real thing. But it will take a few days before all the paraphernalia arrives. In the meantime I'm watching a number of helpful videos. 

I wouldn't bother with cinestill monobath, get some Ilford ID11 or Kodak d76 stop bath and some fixer, its not difficult if you can use a thermometer and a timer. You are in Edinburgh yes? why not go into Camerabase in Corstorphine everything you need you will get there. As for getting the film out I just stick my thumb nails in the film slot and bend it open, cut or tear the film and as long as you don't have any rough corners the film will load fine. Ilford have some good tuition type stuff on youtube.