M10M - who will be joining the stampede?

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was planing to order one or pick one up tomorrow (If they have one). I was out shooting tonight with my M Mono and realized I’m very happy with this first model. 

There is nothing like a bit of tech and especially quality engineering from Germany.  How can one not! But what a ride it’s been with the MM1, with it’s rangefinder adjustments, sensor replacement and constant need for cleaning dust. It goes everywhere I go. For the past 7 years this camera has helped me as an image maker and as a person, improving who I am. 

Maybe the new M10M is an extravagant purchase for me but “god knows” I deserve it. 

k

• Like 5

On 1/16/2020 at 1:55 PM, Tailwagger said:

Most folks outside these walls find the notion of spending eight large on any camera perplexing. 

... it suggests to me that it will be a while before we see a color version of this sensor in an M body.

Oh well, predicting the future is always a crap shoot...  M10R  On the other hand most of the comments on DPR around the Monochrom support the assertion that the think we're all a bunch of nut jobs. 🙂  So 50% right.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Kendoo said:

I was planing to order one or pick one up tomorrow (If they have one). I was out shooting tonight with my M Mono and realized I’m very happy with this first model. 

There is nothing like a bit of tech and especially quality engineering from Germany.  How can one not! But what a ride it’s been with the MM1, with it’s rangefinder adjustments, sensor replacement and constant need for cleaning dust. It goes everywhere I go. For the past 7 years this camera has helped me as an image maker and as a person, improving who I am. 

Maybe the new M10M is an extravagant purchase for me but “god knows” I deserve it. 

k

Testing the M10M, as awesome as it is, also made me appreciate the MM1 more.  I made identical images with same lens, subject and setting with tripod-mounted M10M and MM1, printed them identically on 8.5 x 11 paper and showed them both to non-photographers.  100% of the time they chose the prints from the MM1.  They couldn't say why, but they consistently liked them a little better.

I'm not saying the MM1 produces better prints, and the subject material was rather boring (doors, etc), but at that print size the MM1 images still held some magic.  For all its quirks it's still a great camera.

• Like 6

Just now, Likaleica said:

Testing the M10M, as awesome as it is, also made me appreciate the MM1 more.  I made identical images with same lens, subject and setting with tripod-mounted M10M and MM1, printed them identically on 8.5 x 11 paper and showed them both to non-photographers.  100% of the time they chose the prints from the MM1.  They couldn't say why, but they consistently liked them a little better.

I believe it. There's certainly a more dreamy tonality to the CCD that makes the 246 and the sample output from the M10M seem somewhat clinical by comparison.  I also suspect that since color dominates the landscape, not only in print but video and movies as well, that as the look is constantly evolving right before everyones eyes, increasing acuity doesn't alter the general notion of what a photograph should look like.  B&W images, OTOH, aren't in the day to day consciousness of most, thus the historic notion of what such images are supposed to look like still holds... ie. they aren't supposed to be so razor sharp. 

The latest Monochrom looks to be a challenging device in that regard.  A lot of the sample output I've seen leaves me a little cold. OTOH, a few samples have been utterly spectacular. To my eye, the M10M offers a somewhat new dialect of B&W. I doubt I'll be participating, at least in the foreseeable future, but I do look forward to seeing the work of others who master it.  

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Likaleica said:

I'm not saying the MM1 produces better prints, and the subject material was rather boring (doors, etc), but at that print size the MM1 images still held some magic.  For all its quirks it's still a great camera.

The MM1 is a great little machine, as long as one can deal with the older platform quirks. I have no issues with its IQ and subsequent print results given my print sizes, typical shooting conditions and overall workflow.  But I bet many of those making the switch, even based on smaller prints, will convince themselves otherwise.     I don’t doubt, however, that the shooting and handling experience will be greatly enhanced.

Jeff

• Like 2

I'm staying on the list for now, but after taking my MM1 out this morning following a beautiful snowfall last night, I'm trying to figure out why I need better image quality than I get from this camera.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 19

1 hour ago, fotografr said:

I'm staying on the list for now, but after taking my MM1 out this morning following a beautiful snowfall last night, I'm trying to figure out why I need better image quality than I get from this camera.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

That's a very lovely image.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fotografr, It's, a extremely lovely image, especially made more impactful with the birds on the branches.  I too have always been enamored with my MM1 and although there are certainly advantages for a variety of shooting situations with both the M246 and M10-M cameras, the MM1 I feel has a very unique signature not duplicated by either.  Sort of analogous to the M9 vs. some of their CMOS successors.

Dave (D&A)

I have a Leica X-Vario and love the idea of a M monochrom but don't really want to deal with those massive files.  The B&W jpegs from the xv are great and are tiny files compared to the new M10M.  Having said that I will drop in here from time to time and check out out the images.  

Have fun with your new toys.

I think I'm going to be sticking with my M9M as it produces everything I need and want. As explained in another thread, I had the original Monochrom and loved it. However at the time I also had the M240 and didn't like having to take two lots of batteries and chargers and so upgraded (I use that word loosely) to the 246. That got stolen and I've now replaced it with the original M9M.

I ordered mine in the city today, and officially the first order at my Leica resellers. They told me some people are still waiting for the Leica Q2 to arrive and they were ordered on release. 

Leica Australia determine where "in stock" cameras are dispersed once they arrive in Australia. I think they get snapped up pretty quick on the East coast? There are no Leica Stores in Perth however two in Melbourne and one shop in Sydney. We are on the other side of Australia and its "like a Leica desert". I hope one arrives in reasonable time. 

It is very beautiful.  And I really like the ISO knob and think that it will be very useful.  But I stick with film.  I think Leica should pioneer technology that makes a sensor that has much more malleability in the highlights, as this is the MM's achilles heal and I am not convinced that a breakthrough has been made in this regard.  I could be convinced otherwise as more photos come through (with perhaps a greater focus on controlling the highlights in PP).

Edited by A miller
  • Like 2

All this emphasis on vivid tones of monochrom or should I say 256- greyscale, something you can do it on Dxo or photoshop. Can you actually distinguish more than 256 different shades of grey or if these high end printers can correctly and accurately print all the shades and render all the details. 

I really want to see a comparison between M10M and M10 images converted to B/W. For now MF film works for me.

I'll most likely wait for M10X or M11.