M10M - who will be joining the stampede?

jaapv

9 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

Not me. The gamut of tonality, gradation and resolution where I want to be is in these two images, and for that, my M10 is perfectly adequate. Also, I prefer the greater flexibility of digital filters from processing than from glass contrast filters. I had the M-Monochrom and prefer the M10, also for having the choice of using the color version of the image whenever I want. Of course, the full quality of these images cannot be seen in the JPGs, but these can be printed at 150 x 100 cm without difficulty.

M10 | DR Summicron 50 | ISO 400 | f/5.6 | 1/60 sec | Bangkok

Bangkok — The Empire of Signs

M10 | DR Summicron 50 | ISO 400 | f/5.6 | 1/60 sec | Bangkok

Bangkok — The Empire of Signs

I agree with your comments about the flexibility provided by use of color channels when editing files.  It can provide significant advantages. The thing I like best about the MM1, which I have in addition to the M10, is the b/w state of mind provided when shooting.  I’m a disciplined shooter anyway (producing similar number of pics per outing with digital as in my b/w film days), but there’s still something special about an all-b/w workflow and consciously viewing the world that way, without choice.  The MM1 is for those days when I just feel like it.  And the results, sometimes, seem to have some special sauce that I’m not sure I’d get with the M10, but I’ll never know since I make pics, not A/B tests. I do know that the MM1 files are extremely malleable, even without use of color filters.

Having the MM1 fills those mindset and IQ needs for me, lessening any desire at this point for another version (beyond the M10 platform benefits, already noted). Nothing about the MM1 screams out to me that more MP is needed. It’s a Goldilocks camera as it is for my print sizes.The MM1 and M10 are both fully capable, provided of course that I do my part well.... shooting and PP/printing.  

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 3

Very tempted at least :). I did have the M246 (bought it when it came out) but sold it some years ago because I had too many cameras :).

BUT, B&W conversion from M10 are just fine. The M10M will boost some 80ish MP in "true resolution" (no bayer), so it will be MF more than anything. Unless (very unlikely) it comes with IBIS, this also means that all shutter times needs to be about doubled to get really sharp images. The camera will of course have fantastic ISO-performance and this will somewhat compensate for this "issue", but it might not be without other problems. Another thing is of course the processor, unless it comes with Maestro III (also a bit unlikely) the camera will probably feel a bit sluggish. BUT, this might just be me being pessimistic. In my dream world it has IBIS, Maestro III AND better battery life than M10. Then I will be more than tempted ;)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/9/2020 at 4:15 PM, Peter Kilmister said:

With my M10-P I get very good B&W by developing. I also have a quiet shutter. What would I get with an M10M except the use of B&W filters to strengthen parts of the grey spectrum?

Maybe I am naive?

Before you knock me down for this I wish to remind you that I do have an LFI.Gallery Master Shot accreditation for a B&W photo (taken with an M240-P).  Have you?

Oh good god, really? I think they would hand that “award” our to my cat and she does not even take photos.

And no, I am not getting the M10M either, I have black and white film for that...

Edited by Reciprocity

I bought the M246 because it was the only monochrome camera available from Leica at the time. There really is no need to purchase a new camera as the 246 is all I ever need.

Maybe the M10M is a little thinner, a little lighter, has a marginally enhanced field of view and more pixels, but I would rather concentrate on becoming a better photographer. I still havent taken my best photo!

So the 246 is staying!

• Like 6

No, my MM1 has a lot of life left in it.

Based on what we “know”(?j to date, the assumption is M10 body, 41MP monochrome sensor.

Now, this isn’t my area, but a number of questions do intrigue me - processing power, heat management, battery ...  Can all this be managed with the existing M10-P format, processor and battery?  Or would a bigger battery and new processor with better heat management be needed?  Removing the LCD might provide more space ...

• Like 1

indeed no screen would be interesting on a monochrome . What I heard - but that was almost a year ago - was that they were struggling to make the sensor fit into the M10 body, what ever that means given that I did not manage to get extra info at the time

Edited by Fedro
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fedro said:

indeed no screen would be interesting on a monochrome . What I heard - but that was almost a year ago - was that they were struggling to make the sensor fit into the M10 body, what ever that means given that I did not manage to get extra info at the time

am sure the Q2 sensor would fit in an m10 body?

• Like 1

Although I have a pretty nice set of Leica gear, incl M5, M7, MM1, M10P, I am not sure I would purchase a 41MP MMono3

that level of sensor resolution would be great for landscape, architecture - but for that I have Fuji GFX 50 gear. But to leverage then the power of the 41 MP, one should put the new Mono  on a tripod. People and street I don't need at 40 MP.

ratger than spending the money for a new MMono, it might be smarter for someone like me who runs a second system, to go to higher megapixels on that "other" side (like a Fuji GFX 100). 

The M's are really perfect for handheld stuff. Buying an M that really needs tripod work to get the full value ...not sure. 

well, one other option would be to then "switch" fully to M and sell my Fuji medium format gear. But that gear does color and autofocus too

so I think it depends on what other systems one has, what your lens portfolio is etc.

just the fact that I have a lot of M gear doesn't make me necessarily buy such an M

• Like 1

vor 18 Stunden schrieb IkarusJohn:

...Or would a bigger battery and new processor with better heat management be needed?  Removing the LCD might provide more space ...

I assume the much larger files need a different - or better - processor. This does not necessarily mean higher power consumption as the processes may be optimized so that they do not need as much energy. On the other hand monochrome processing leaves out some important steps a sensor for colored exposure needs, so this may compensate for a higher need of energy for larger files.

it would be interesting to know about the experience with the existing monochrome bodies: any difference between M9/MM1 or M Typ 240/Typ 246 as far as battery capacity is concerned? Or: do you get less exposures with a Q2 or SL2 compared to the Q/SL with smaller files?  

Removing the LCD would limit the M10-Monochrome to users who are appealed by the M10D - I think that target group would be too small.

There is a not too dissimilar thread running in the Monochrom sub-forum and there I wrote:-

So far I have resisted the lure of the Monochrom versions, but the temptations offered by an M7-sized digital monochrome hi-res camera might be too much to resist.  But then what to do with my M7, MP (alc) and R5?  A M10-M would make it hard to find the time to continue with 35mm b&w film (lots of it in the freezer!).  My New Year's resolution was "shoot more film" and so far this year I have used (and developed) seven rolls of 120 in my Hasselblad but the roll of film in my M7 is so far unused.  Which obviously leads to thoughts in the direction of 35mm hi-res digital monochrome coupled with medium format film (no way will I give up using film).  Hmmm...

I await Leica's announce with interest.

• Like 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb Keith (M):

...My New Year's resolution was "shoot more film" and so far this year I have used (and developed) seven rolls of 120 in my Hasselblad but the roll of film in my M7 is so far unused....

It seems as if the start of a new year was not the best time to bring a new camera to the market. Too many "New Year's resolutions" standing in the way of more sensor resolution...😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ll hold out for the “M11P” with the 47mpx sensor, Bluetooth, silent shutter and level. 
I love the B&W conversions that I get with Capture One Pro for my M10 and SL2 images so I don’t see the need for a b&w only M, for me that is.

Regards,

Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

I'm probably going to sit this one out. Upgraded from M10 to M10D already. Looking at the expected specifications

+ Higher ISO (assuming less noise)

+ Higher resolution (mainly used for cropping as I don't print bus size prints)

+ Better contrast/details

- Battery life with larger sensor and processing time

- I like my Lightroom and NIK digital filters vs extra filter glass

- higher resolution as I already have a 50MP Canon camera

- Cost - I have a M10D I really like already,

? unknown - I would want the Mono to also have display on rear deleted

? unknown - I doubt any stabilization fits  - not sure I need it though

? Fix the horribly slow Fotos connection and transfer speed - My #1 Gripe to Leica workflow

result - pass unless there is some major enhancement we get surprised by

As interesting as the M10M will be I have no intention of purchasing one.  My M10 with its 24mp sensor is more than adequate for what I photograph and using Capture One gives me more than satisfactory results when processed to monochrome.  Since I retain the successful DNG file along with the jpg image with a 41mp DNG I would undoubtedly have to  increase my data storage and backup facilities which I currently do not need to do.

Having said all that I still have my M6 if I ever get into a monochrome without digital processing mood...

1 hour ago, David Monkhouse said:

As interesting as the M10M will be I have no intention of purchasing one.  My M10 with its 24mp sensor is more than adequate for what I photograph and using Capture One gives me more than satisfactory results when processed to monochrome.  Since I retain the successful DNG file along with the jpg image with a 41mp DNG I would undoubtedly have to  increase my data storage and backup facilities which I currently do not need to do.

Having said all that I still have my M6 if I ever get into a monochrome without digital processing mood...

+1 on your post.

I agree that the current M10 is awesome. I ditched Lightroom about 3 years ago for Capture One Pro after struggling with image quality issues with my then Fuji X system. The difference in IQ and advanced image editing capabilities of C1P sold me on the application. In Nov 2017, I bought my first Leica, the M10. I have since sold all of my Fuji X gear and purchase a 2nd M10 body, a few Leica primes.

I'm very happy with the image quality of the Leica 24 mpx sensor as processed in C1P. I print to my Epson P800 from C1P. You really appreciate the detail and microcontrast of the Leica M system when you make 11" x 14" and 16" x 20" prints. Wow!

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

• Like 1