M10M - who will be joining the stampede?

jaapv

• jaapv changed the title to M10M - who will be joining the stampede?

Okay, I'll bite - but if it is introduced in January, it will probably be Christmas before they are readily available.

That works out - it gives me most of the year to round up the €8000/$8900 USD it is said will be the retail price. 

41 megapixels is huge - but 12,500 ISO capability??  why not 50,000 like the Q2?

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

I am in.

ISO capability will be higher than 12,500. that is just EXIF data and not the camera's capability.

13 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

41 megapixels is huge - but 12,500 ISO capability??  why not 50,000 like the Q2?

Edited by dkmoore
  • Thanks 1

This has to be a money-no-object kind of purchase, for the person who's passions and means are well aligned. I'm in the market for a digital M at some point (currently film only user) and the idea of tying up that much cash with the restriction of mono only is not an easy choice even though the technologist in me loves the concept of a pure mono. 

I wonder, at what point in terms of technology development, does the mono-only version stop making less sense because the results of colour conversion are really that good ?

I won't be in the stampede, but I will be watching...

Edited by Mr.Prime
  • Like 1

I will have a look at it. I doubt, there will be a proper SL2 like resolution EVF "mount it on top of the camera" coming with it. 

For the time being, ...... I found below solution to serve monochrom needs (picture taken with an M8) :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Although I love my M246, I do not feel the need to jump to the next version.  No camera is perfect and the 246 has it's issues (wish I had lower ISO so I did not have to use ND filters with fast lenses during daylight street shooting), but I have not been limited by resolution or dynamic range.  I am sure that I will be tempted, but I am not in the 'I need to get it now' mode.  At least not until I can see what it can truly do, in regards to my style.  That being said, I am very happy that it is being produced as it is a sign of Leica's uniqueness.

• Like 1

At my print sizes and style, the MM1 more than suffices.  The appeal for me would be more about the M10 platform benefits compared to the M9...form factor, better VF, 2m frame lines, quiet operation, robust build, etc.  The extra MP could be more disadvantage than advantage, but that would require testing.  At any rate, not worth the launch price for me, and my priority early this year will be to fit the SL2 and native lenses into my workflow.

If GAS intervenes, I would be more inclined to pick up a bargain S007 and S 70 Summarit if the S3 further depresses used prices.  The b/w conversions, including tonal transitions, from the S can be marvelous.  And that OVF is still gorgeous.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

At my print sizes and style, the MM1 more than suffices.  The appeal for me would be more about the M10 platform benefits compared to the M9...form factor, better VF, 2m frame lines, quiet operation, robust build, etc.  The extra MP could be more disadvantage than advantage, but that would require testing.  At any rate, not worth the launch price for me, and my priority early this year will be to fit the SL2 and native lenses into my workflow.

If GAS intervenes, I would be more inclined to pick up a bargain S007 and S 70 Summarit if the S3 further depresses used prices.  The b/w conversions, including tonal transitions, from the S can be marvelous.  And that OVF is still gorgeous.

Jeff

What if it has IBIS? Does that change your mind?

I've never had a Monochrom.
I sold my M240 because it wasn't getting used beside my CL and SL.
I see and shoot in colour, converting to B&W only when the colour shot looks rubbish ('Break glass and the click the SilverEfex Full Monty option').
But strangely the idea of an M10M draws me.
GTBMS

• Like 2

Not for me - at least not for a year or three or unless that elusive lottery win should transpire. The MM1 is my favourite camera ever, and the only thing which I find it lacks is Live View for portraits and for a couple of lenses with focus shift. Otherwise there's no need for me to spend all that money - the results can't be any better than what comes out of that first Monochrom and may even have less character. 

Edited by Musotographer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

When the the stars line up, ie: money and availability. I will upgrade...

I Loved the MM1, but the coverglass issue caught me (on two M9s and MM1). The M246 is better in all ways other than image quality. I'm hoping that the M10m is best of both worlds. The M10p is certainly better than the M240.

Edited by Soden

52 minutes ago, dkmoore said:

What if it has IBIS? Does that change your mind?

Maybe, but that would be a fix to a potential problem (from unnecessarily  high MP) that I haven’t had with an M in 35+ years.  And I’d be surprised if it could come in the same M10 form factor, at least not with some other trade off(s)... possibly weight, battery life, etc.  The SL2 will be my complementary system for the M when things like IBIS is important (especially with slower zooms and longer lenses), along with AF, weather sealing, etc.

But that’s speculation; I don’t like to react to or evaluate products that I haven’t tested, let alone ones that don’t yet exist.  

Jeff

• Like 2