M10M - who will be joining the stampede?

jaapv

On 1/11/2020 at 6:03 AM, Mr Fjeld said:

I bought the M246 because it was the only monochrome camera available from Leica at the time. There really is no need to purchase a new camera as the 246 is all I ever need.

Maybe the M10M is a little thinner, a little lighter, has a marginally enhanced field of view and more pixels, but I would rather concentrate on becoming a better photographer. I still havent taken my best photo!

So the 246 is staying!

I have two fat Ms, the stainless steel Edition 60 which is the ultimate M, and the 246.  They share fat, powerful batteries.  After handling them, M10 feels skinny.  Handling fat Ms is much easier.  

Edited by setuporg
  • Like 1

The beauty of the Monochroms is that  so many would-be Cartier-Bressons who get one on a whim quickly realize it's really not what you want to carry in the brilliant foliage season, or on the beach, and quickly dump them...  So we'll most likely quickly see used one with a decent discount.  I found so many colors I missed when carrying only the 246 or MP with BW film, I'd rather have two bodies with me if I carry a BW one.  Late evening or rain are ideal conditions for Monochrom, when the colors faint and cats' eyes glint.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, setuporg said:

The beauty of the Monochroms is that  so many would-be Cartier-Bressons who get one on a whim quickly realize it's really not what you want to carry in the brilliant foliage season, or on the beach, and quickly dump them...  So we'll most likely quickly see used one with a decent discount.  I found so many colors I missed when carrying only the 246 or MP with BW film, I'd rather have two bodies with me if I carry a BW one.  Late evening or rain are ideal conditions for Monochrom, when the colors faint and cats' eyes glint.

Good points, but ultimately it all comes down to personal preference. The emotional response I get to a beautiful b&w photograph is far stronger than what I get from color images. I've seen some great color landscapes but never anything that moves me like images by Ansel Adams, Brett Weston and several other b&w masters.

I'm in sync with what Jeff mentioned earlier about the mindset of taking a b&w only camera out. I believe it changes the way one sees light and looks for images. Rather than being influenced by eye popping fall colors or sunset/sunrise photos, when carrying a Monochrom camera I look for light, shadow, form, texture and meaningful content. I don't often succeed in putting it all together, but it happens a lot more than when I'm carrying a color body with the thought that I can always convert if I don't like my results.

For the M10 Mono, color me in.

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fotografr said:

Perhaps. But the waiting.....

I’d feel that way too if the MM1 was lacking IQ wise (printing) for me, or if it broke down.  Unless maybe someone dropped $10k in my mailbox. :)  (My tax guy once surprised me with a totally unanticipated check, many times that amount, 5 years after I retired... that was fun.)  

Enjoy... and bring on the early adopter posts.

Jeff

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, setuporg said:

Jeff, I can’t help coming back to how amazingly the S renders vs anything else — so blow that $10K on that if you get it!  I guess the difference between S and M is more than M10M and M10 will be, but, we’ll see...

That was Brent’s good fortune, not mine.  But if you have a spare $10k, I’ll provide my address so I can properly test. 

Jeff

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, setuporg said:

If you are ever in the Bay Area I’ll gladly lend you the whole system in its Compagnon bag so you can test.:)

I lived there 7 years just before retirement, and have since tested the S006 and briefly demoed the S007. I ordered a Compagnon messenger bag for my SL2 system, but was disappointed and returned it.  Thanks for the offer, though; I miss the area and friends.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

I’m 100% getting one. I’ve been on the wait list at the local Leica store for a good 18 months now, and checked in with them yesterday to confirm I’m at the top of the list.

I didn’t bother updating my MP240 to the M10, and 80% of what I shoot is black and white, so it feels like a no brainer to me. 

Can’t wait! 

• Like 2

I might join the gang. I loved the MM1, but got scared by the sensor issues, then turned it back with Leica's offer on the 246 which I found a bit less attractive. Sold it with no regrets. Now if the M10M embarks a Q2/SL2 sensor...

If possible I would try it with the APO M 50mm and then.. why not ?

On 1/14/2020 at 5:47 PM, Jeff S said:

That was Brent’s good fortune, not mine. 

Jeff

Some might call it good fortune. Others might call it bad business management to have spaced out that it was a due payment.

Edited by fotografr

On 1/14/2020 at 8:35 PM, Artin said:

I have never understood the whole monochrome concept,  I have produced stunning monochrome images from my MP 240 , my M9 , and my sl2 .. even my Nikon’s .. to throw down 10,000 dollars on a Monochrome. No thanks not for me. I’ll wait for the M11 and see what it will offer.

I know. If only Ansel had shot his Yosemite series in color! And wouldn't "Moonrise" look fantastic with a magenta sky rather than that deep, deep black?

Just some ribbing. I honestly don't mean to put you down. I realize a lot of people don't get the B&W mindset that takes over when the choice of which medium to go with is removed. It truly does impact the way one sees when out with a camera. Some of us, and maybe we're all old timers, would be perfectly happy never shooting color images. If the new Mono is what I'm hoping for, I can easily see going that route.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2020 at 3:35 AM, Artin said:

I have never understood the whole monochrome concept,  I have produced stunning monochrome images from my MP 240 , my M9 , and my sl2 .. even my Nikon’s .. to throw down 10,000 dollars on a Monochrome. No thanks not for me. I’ll wait for the M11 and see what it will offer.

I tend to fully agree, does one really see so much noticeable difference between the monochrome images of a monochrome M and a "normal" M? 

39 minutes ago, WvE said:

I tend to fully agree, does one really see so much noticeable difference between the monochrome images of a monochrome M and a "normal" M? 

As so often with Leica cameras: it's not about the result, it's about how to get there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, fotografr said:

Some might call it good fortune. Others might call it bad business management to have spaced out that it was a due payment.

I thought the same when my tax guy surprised me with a six figure refund, 5 years after retirement, that I had not planned for.  But I got over it and learned to accept it .😀

Jeff

2 hours ago, rim_light said:

As so often with Leica cameras: it's not about the result, it's about how to get there. 

Isn't that true with any camera? There are always factors one considers when buying gear and what it come down to is what one feels comfortable with and produces the desired result.

What puzzles me most is why anyone cares why another person might prefer to use a Monochrom camera versus convert from color. Why do some of us have to keep explaining and defending our passion for B&W shooting?

Any Leica photographer should be quite happy to see so much excitement over this new Monochrom. It's helping the financial stability of the company.

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 7