M10-D owners - are you happy?

MRJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 8/3/2019 at 1:54 AM, jakontil said:

Hi john,

does the case compatible with the leica mate? For swapping the battery? 

I have one since the m10D eats up a lot of power just for convenience purposes

in my case you have to remove the case if you want to swap the battery, maybe Luigi has two versions of the case

On 5/11/2019 at 7:04 PM, KFo said:

I’m also big on taping switches in position when they get moved too easily.  I never use the off switch on my M10P.  Power save is set to 2 minutes (wish it had a 30 second setting).  I let the camera turn itself off.   Tap the shutter release to turn on...

Ok, I'm still not happy with the new positioning of the on/off switch on the M10-D but thanks to a number of posts concerning the D here on the forum I have found that just leaving the camera turned on with the minimum 2 minute sleep time selected does in fact do what I need. Now I can in most part ignore the new on/off switch and just wake the camera up with a tap on the shutter when I want to take a shot. In fact as a test I've even left the camera turned on for a couple of days without using it and it's only resulted in around a 5% drop of battery capacity. So, thanks for the helpful hint, that one works for me but I still have a camera with black tape on it !

I really do wish though for better / extended use of the thumb-wheel, surely Leica could give it more functionality that it has at present?.......Suggestions anyone?

35 minutes ago, petermullett said:

Ok, I'm still not happy with the new positioning of the on/off switch on the M10-D but thanks to a number of posts concerning the D here on the forum I have found that just leaving the camera turned on with the minimum 2 minute sleep time selected does in fact do what I need. Now I can in most part ignore the new on/off switch and just wake the camera up with a tap on the shutter when I want to take a shot. In fact as a test I've even left the camera turned on for a couple of days without using it and it's only resulted in around a 5% drop of battery capacity. So, thanks for the helpful hint, that one works for me but I still have a camera with black tape on it !

I really do wish though for better / extended use of the thumb-wheel, surely Leica could give it more functionality that it has at present?.......Suggestions anyone?

What do you think of the startup time after sleep. I am surprised it’s slower than my m-d was. Had not expected that with the maestro II processor... 

43 minutes ago, petermullett said:

I've noticed my M10D can turn on in my bag. Never had this problem with my M10. Will probably set the auto sleep to 2 mins so hopefully that will stop it getting warm in my bag 😳

I've never foundy start up time an issue. 

vor 2 Stunden schrieb SiOnara:

've noticed my M10D can turn on in my bag. Never had this problem with my M10. Will probably set the auto sleep to 2 mins so hopefully that will stop it getting warm in my bag 😳

That surprises me, because it needs quite some force to turn the M10-D on, at least in my case.

9 hours ago, poli said:

What do you think of the startup time after sleep. I am surprised it’s slower than my m-d was. Had not expected that with the maestro II processor... 

yes it is too slow, but probably the same for me if I didn't keep it in sleep mode as my M muscle memory fumbles to first try to turn the M10-D on at the shutter lock that isn't there anymore. I just try to anticipate when I need the camera awake and tap the shutter so it's more or less ready in time to grab a shot........Perhaps a long overdue firmware upgrade for the camera will be able to solve the slow awakening time, I hope that will happen as it will help a lot.

9 hours ago, SiOnara said:

I've noticed my M10D can turn on in my bag. Never had this problem with my M10. Will probably set the auto sleep to 2 mins so hopefully that will stop it getting warm in my bag 😳

Yes that used to happen frequently for me too. I don't usually carry the camera in a bag, just "bare camera" on a shoulder-strap, but I found that it would turn on too easily by rubbing against clothing whilst on the shoulder strap or even by me mishandling it. Accidentally turning on to the WiFi setting is the worst error, that used to happen too often with the battery draining very quickly as a result. Leica should have designed in a simple press-lock to prevent turning the on/off dial too far left into the WiFi setting accidentally.........so now I've a piece of black paper camera tape over the rear dial to prevent those "accidents" and also to stop the exposure compensation setting drifting too which I've had happen as well.....and no, I don't think the dial on my camera is faulty or too loose, it's just an unfortunate bad design decision by Leica in my opinion.

In sleep mode I have not noticed the camera warming at all, using sleep-mode is a good solution for my use of this camera.

A decent half case for the M10-D would help as the dial's functions wouldn't be that liable to rub against clothing or a bag's interior directly but I am waiting to see if my favourite camera protection manufacturer will produce as they've promised a half case / protector for the M10/M10-D that will do the trick, in the meantime black camera tape rules!

Edited by petermullett
spelling

Advertisement (gone after registration)

30 minutes ago, petermullett said:

Yes that used to happen frequently for me too. I don't usually carry the camera in a bag, just "bare camera" on a shoulder-strap, but I found that it would turn on too easily by rubbing against clothing whilst on the shoulder strap or even by me mishandling it. Accidentally turning on to the WiFi setting is the worst error, that used to happen too often with the battery draining very quickly as a result. Leica should have designed in a simple press-lock to prevent turning the on/off dial too far left into the WiFi setting accidentally.........so now I've a piece of black paper camera tape over the rear dial to prevent those "accidents" and also to stop the exposure compensation setting drifting too which I've had happen as well.....and no, I don't think the dial on my camera is faulty or too loose, it's just an unfortunate bad design decision by Leica in my opinion.

In sleep mode I have not noticed the camera warming at all, using sleep-mode is a good solution for my use of this camera.

A decent half case for the M10-D would help as the dial's functions wouldn't be that liable to rub against clothing or a bag's interior directly but I am waiting to see if my favourite camera protection manufacturer will produce as they've promised a half case / protector for the M10/M10-D that will do the trick, in the meantime black camera tape rules!

I have the Luigi half case for the M10-D which solves the turning on problem although, given the force required to turn the dial I fail to see how this can happen. The only disadvantage that I can see to this case is the need to remove it to access the SD card or battery, however the same could be said for accessing the film with a non digital camera.

Since we are talking about weird little things in the design of the m10-d. I have noticed that when swapping SD-card -even if the camera is turned off - the red led at the back of the camera lights up for a second. Is that normal or do I have a funny m10-d 🧐

Edited by poli

5 hours ago, poli said:

Since we are talking about weird little things in the design of the m10-d. I have noticed that when swapping SD-card -even if the camera is turned off - the red led at the back of the camera lights up for a second. Is that normal or do I have a funny m10-d 🧐

that is perfectly normal, or not...

mine does the same thing too

I am leaning in the M10 d direction, but not having a cell phone, have a question.

Can one use a data-less iPad in a wireless situation to configure the camera?

Can an IPad on just wireless use the FOTOS app to connect with the camera?

John

Edited by inglis
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, inglis said:

I am leaning in the M10 d direction, but not having a cell phone, have a question.

John

Yes, both cases should work without any problem. The only issue is, that the Fotos App is not iPad optimized till now, so you see the app not fullscreen. Leica is working on an iPad optimized version (since a long time...).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, inglis said:

John

You see this is what's really annoying about Leica having made a truly excellent camera that's perhaps the best digital M ever, ( yes I know there's things about it that I've voiced dislike on here, so what... ), and then assumed that everyone has or carries at all times a "smart" 'phone too to enable set-up changes if and when needed. I don't get it. There are some that don't want to be tied to a phone in this way, myself for one.....The M10-D could have been designed and made so the user didn't have to be reliant on another electronic device and instead enabling set-up options by using the Visoflex screen for instance. I don't believe it would have been too hard to have made that happen. Everyone is way way too hooked on smart phone crack anyway, Leica in making the "minimalist" M10-D shouldn't have further fed the habit in my humble Luddite opinion.

1 hour ago, petermullett said:

see this is what's really annoying about Leica having made a truly excellent camera that's perhaps the best digital M ever, ... and then assumed that everyone has or carries at all times a "smart" 'phone too to enable set-up changes if and when needed. I don't get it.

I suggest the OP just forget the M10-D and get the M10.

Edited by pico
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, pico said:

I suggest the OP just forget the M10-D and get the M10.

Hello pico, I have both, the D and the regular M10 and unless I feel that I'm going to really need a LCD screen when I go out with an M it's the D that I more often decide to carry.....despite the few grumbles I do like the camera that much.

For a number of reasons I am interested in the M10 D over the M10, but presently do not have a cell or even an ipad new enough for FOTOS.

In part, I really like my m3 and see the M10 D--without the screen--as an interesting digital addition. 

So am debating whether to go with a D and use it for awhile with factory settings.

I could borrow a friend's phone to change a few settings.

Does anyone here operate in this fashion, and if so are you happy enough with the camera?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, inglis said:

For a number of reasons I am interested in the M10 D over the M10, but presently do not have a cell or even an ipad new enough for FOTOS.

In part, I really like my m3 and see the M10 D--without the screen--as an interesting digital addition. 

So am debating whether to go with a D and use it for awhile with factory settings.

Does anyone here operate in this fashion, and if so are you happy enough with the camera?

That's what I did. Go for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, inglis said:

Actually for all my stated dislike of the reliance of the M10-D on having to use a smart phone, ( or an iPad ), to change the camera's set-up it really isn't a big deal to totally ignore that facility once you have the camera tweaked to how it's going to best work for yourself. So yes you could easily do all that with a friend's 'phone. That's the case with me and my M10-D, since finding the settings that I prefer I've had no use for the option to change anything over a WiFi link to a 'phone or pad. I last changed a setting months ago when I decided to go with the DNG + Monochrome JPG file option and haven't changed anything else since.

I've never downloaded photo's via the WiFi link to Fotos either, that's another waste of time in my book. Why would you buy the screen-less M10-D and then want to burn so much battery life to view your images on a separate screen that you have to carry along with the kit too? Beats me.

With your film-use background it sounds like this camera would suit you very well, I'd go for it.

2 hours ago, inglis said:

No need for a smartphone, if you want to run it in the classic MD 262 fashion. If required, initially change settings to your liking with a smartphone of your Leica dealer. Honestly, an android phone can cost as little as 80 USD. A M10 battery is twice that. Pretty academic discussion. IIRC, I checked the settings once in the beginning and never changed it since.

• Like 1