M10-D owners - are you happy?

MRJohn

Have you sent this video to Leica? If not I'd email it to Customer Service before you have them arrange to have the camera collected and shipped in for service. I don't know how many times I can say this, but that rear dial is really stupid and badly conceived. Why they didn't keep the on/off switch around the shutter dial I don't know as it's where everyone's M muscle memory is comfortable. There's the the "new" thumb grip/faux wind lever there of course and that they might argue would have made keeping the on/off switch there a problem, but film M's like the M7 are fine with that film-wind lever/shutter release/camera on-off arrangement. An alternative "switch" for the WiFi might have had to have been found perhaps if it was thought that the on/off switch would not be a good place to add that function but that wouldn't have been too hard a problem to sort,  maybe activate the WiFi with a +5 second press on the front Focus Aid button for instance (?)

.......What a PITA, rattle a cage over this!

Edited by petermullett

9 minutes ago, petermullett said:

Have you sent this video to Leica? If not I'd email it to Customer Service before you have them arrange to have the camera collected and shipped in for service. I don't know how many times I can say this, but that rear dial is really stupid and badly conceived. Why they didn't keep the on/off switch around the shutter dial I don't know as it's where everyone's M muscle memory is comfortable. There's the the "new" thumb grip/faux wind lever there of course and that they might argue would have made keeping the on/off switch there a problem, but film M's like the M7 are fine with that film-wind lever/shutter release/camera on-off arrangement. An alternative "switch" for the WiFi might have had to have been found perhaps if it was thought that the on/off switch would not be a good place to add that function but that wouldn't have been too hard a problem to sort,  maybe activate the WiFi with a +5 second press on the front Focus Aid button for instance (?)

.......What a PITA, rattle a cage over this!

I'm quite happy with the layout and love the thumb grip.  I usually leave the camera on anyway and occasionally dial it to wi-fi to download the images.  It's just not working.

Am 27.11.2019 um 16:44 schrieb petermullett:

Owning both I can say that for personal photography yes, in a heart-beat.....but for any paying job on which I might be using a Leica M, no. That would have to be a M10 with a LCD.

But having said that and despite some features on the camera that still confound me the M10-D is easily my favourite Digital Leica M to date.

Got back into M-System with the M10-D 😀 - best ""M" and M-experience I ever had (since M9)

• Like 4

i am absolutely fond of my M10-D, thumb grip, layout, simplicity, you name it...

but i never use the wifi thingy except for adjusting date/time once in a while - is there no way to adjust date/time differently and still precisely, let's say with a new firmware and some button/key combination ?

and then i am annoyed by the exposure compensation wheel as it is much too loose and keeps changing position so that i actually had to tape it down entirely !  i anyway never made use of it.  i am also not too happy with the main switch itself because it's too soft and can also change position on its own, in a bag for example - which is particularly painful for the wifi position as it drains the battery in an hour or so !

but, in toto, as a whole, i love my M10-D and especially the work style it forces me into - which doesn't differ at all from the way i worked with non-SLR film cameras in the past.  i am here the master taking the picture, not some mindless algorithm, and it's me who screwed up if a setting was wrong.   i can't imagine a better camera for my needs as hobby photographer.

PS 1: now something that doesn't really belong here - but i can't understand Leica why the 35mm Summilux doesn't feature a knurled or ridged distance focus ring to make my life easier while focusing...?

PS 2: and let me express many thanks to folks here in this forum who pushed me with chutzpah into getting the M10-D !!!

Edited by fenykepesz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I got my M10-D around 11 months ago, I cannot complain about the main switch or the exposure compensation, both dials move gently, not too soft, not too hard. WiFi (takes approx. 40sec to initiate it...) I use occasionally to try out different settings, but never for image downloads. Now, after around 4000shots, I can say, I would buy the camera again. The only thing to improve is to shorten the wake up time.

• Like 1

So, as I have said more than once in the M10-D threads I am really happy with this "LCD-less" version of the M10 and again despite a couple of real complaints about the camera's design and function this remains my favourite digital M to date.

However, this is how it goes out with me, black paper camera tape over the rear off/on/wifi outer dial to stop the damn thing turning on the Wifi function that I rarely use but still without the tape I can accidentally turn WiFi on anyway by turning the dial beyond "on" and then discover that error when the battery craps out prematurely, ( I keep it taped to the "on" position all the time and for me that works fine with one battery lasting for my usage most of a day ). I also tape off the compensation dial to minus one click as that dial too has been known to wander with camera handling. Lastly I tape the hot-shoe cover because having lost one within a week of ownership and had to buy a stupidly expensive replacement black tape comes to the rescue yet again.

I actually do not have much problem with taping the camera in this way, coming from cinematography it is normal to have tape all over the gear here and there, BUT I have to say that to have to do this with a $7500 stills camera body should really not happen, it should have been designed better. I have contacted Leica several times about this and other M10-D issues but all have been ignored which is a shame. Even if they do not agree with users suggestions and yes some complaints a constructive reply would be good now and again

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

3 minutes ago, AndreasG said:

I am curious, what is your reason for this permanent overexposure?

Hello Adreas, I don't have the camera in front of me right now but the setting is actually one "click" under-exposure......I find that works best for me overall.

M10-D is my favorite digital Leica M, not perfect but good enough.  Camera setting from Leica FOTOS is OK but could be improved substantially, and faster.  

My image journal with Leica M10-D since January 2019, https://www.kaisernchen.com/post/leica-m10-d-diary  almost a year with Leica M10-D and keep going. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, kaisernchen said:

M10-D is my favorite digital Leica M, not perfect but good enough.  Camera setting from Leica FOTOS is OK but could be improved substantially, and faster.  

My image journal with Leica M10-D since January 2019, https://www.kaisernchen.com/post/leica-m10-d-diary  almost a year with Leica M10-D and keep going. 

Lovely photos and a good read, although I don't think I would leave my M10-D half buried in the snow!  Q2 and M10-D make good travel companions.

5 hours ago, TangoCharlie27 said:

they are my two travel cameras, especially with the Q2 being somewhat waterproof.  But my M10-D is currently in the Leica Hospital!  :(

M10-D deal with varies weather nicely although I have no being using it under poring rain.  The bigger problem is the water drops in the front element and difficult to keep it clear.  M10-D is robust. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2020 at 1:24 PM, Anika said:

What would be the perfect setting then?

For me I shoot DNG RAW, auto white balance. You also set up the drive mode and ISO settings ie your exposure for the M on the ISO dial. 

Once I did that I’ve never gone into these setting again. Maybe once to change the drive more for a special shoot I was doing. 

coming back to the issue of the  M10-D's main switch : i would have loved to see the new M10 monochrom's main switch on my M10-D, instead of that problematic wheel solution.  meanwhile i got used to the wheel - but in my opinion having the main switch associated with the shutter button is more intuitive and more common.

to petermullett : my black tape solution looks very similar to yours...

now, to turn the tables, i would love to get an M10-M without that screen, and then call it a M10-DM or something similar.  the exposure compensation button may still come as a metal wheel as it's the case on the M10-D or the M60 or M-D, but perhaps with some sort of a safety lock.  and then last - of course, how could i forget - an M10-DM with that lovely thumb rest which i begin to appreciate the more i use the M10-D.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, fenykepesz said:

... and then last - of course, how could i forget - an M10-DM with that lovely thumb rest which i begin to appreciate the more i use the M10-D.

I also like the thumbrest but I think that thing is the reason Leica had to move the switch to the rearside. Otherwise you would turn the camera on (or off) by flipping it out (or in).