M10-D owners - are you happy?

MRJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, fenykepesz said:

instead of that problematic wheel solution. 

I’ve always tended to put the camera in my bag back down with lens facing up. Means I can fit any size lens in my small bag. I’ve stopped doing that now as I’ve had a couple of instances where the camera turned into WiFi. 

i like the dual design but a locking mechanism of some kind would have been good. 

I’ve loved the thumb rest since its announcement  Using it has sealed it’s practically. It should head to all M cameras. I’d even strip back the small bump thumb rest on the main body to bring the original rounded shape back as with all the bodies up to the M9. 

6 minutes ago, WvE said:

Yes please, let all future M's have the thumb rest; it would even be more brilliant if you switch on the camera with it. 

It is a simple but lovely addition. I do unknowkingly fiddle with the lever a great deal , flicking it. If it was an on/off, I wonder what effect that would have?

Edited by TangoCharlie27
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, AndreasG said:

Unfortunately, no way to switch it on! But to be honest, I don't miss this function.

Thank you. I asked because I tried it at the store with the M10-P and it was on. I thought it would be on the M10-D too.

thank you again 

• 2 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

i come back to this unfortunate wheel issue with my M10-D : as mentioned earlier i had to tape it down so that the main power switch and the exposure compensation stay in place.  but this made it difficult to read their positions as you see in the picture below. for that reason i drilled 4 little holes in the brass rings and put into three of them drops of tempera paint mixed with white glue.  i am quite happy with the result :

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

so, if i knew the right email address to send my suggestions to Leica i would write them 1) about this wheel problem, then 2) about building the power switch into the thumb rest, 3) about improving the way how to set date & time without that foto app, and about some other lens related ideas...  any idea how to contact Leica about this ?

10 hours ago, fenykepesz said:

i come back to this unfortunate wheel issue with my M10-D : as mentioned earlier i had to tape it down so that the main power switch and the exposure compensation stay in place.  but this made it difficult to read their positions as you see in the picture below. for that reason i drilled 4 little holes in the brass rings and put into three of them drops of tempera paint mixed with white glue.  i am quite happy with the result :

so, if i knew the right email address to send my suggestions to Leica i would write them 1) about this wheel problem, then 2) about building the power switch into the thumb rest, 3) about improving the way how to set date & time without that foto app, and about some other lens related ideas...  any idea how to contact Leica about this ?

This was an issue I bought up on the Forum less than a month after buying my M10D, in my opinion the rear switch is a terrible piece of design from Leica on what is otherwise my favourite digital M.

My D wears black tape over the dial too, though not as drastically as yours in your photograph. I just simply cut half-moons of black paper camera tape applied a small one to the exposure compensation dial and other larger one outside that to stop the damn on/off switch from being accidentally pushed too far to the WiFi position. In fact I turn the camera on and then tape the switch in place leaving the camera on all day or even longer sometimes with auto-off set to 2 minutes and that works fine, I rarely need to resort to a second battery in a day's outing and I never use the pretty useless wifi functions to download or view images. I've only changed the camera set-up a couple of times in the year or so of ownership and that was at the beginning trying to settle on a set-up that suited me. It's been set as is for at least 9 months so Fotos and the wifi have no real value for me beyond set-up, in fact I wish Leica had made it possible with a meaningful firmware update, ( of which there's been none since release ), so that some basic set-ups beyond the time / date setting mode could be made "in camera" without having to resort to Fotos. I think the M10D is Leica's "forgotten"  M for all the attention they've given it since it was released.

If Leica wanted to keep the on/off/wifi switch where it is for whatever reason I wish that they'd make a retrofit dial that can be locked so one cannot accidentally go past "on" to the wifi position, a simple press lock would do the trick and if that was done then 80% of my problems with this feature would evaporate even though I agree with you that the switch should have been elsewhere in the first place.

I did recently buy a half case from Luigi for the M10D and that does help some in that the on/off/wifi dial although fully exposed and accessible by a hole cut in the back of the case is sort of protected from side pressure by the thickness of the leather case and this maybe stops the dial being turned by rubbing against clothing or the camera being pulled out of a bag, but I still keep the black paper tape on too. Belt and braces.....

I've posted about the switch issue several times on these forums, Leica supposedly reads the posts we've been told, plus I've also emailed Leica at least twice about it and sent in "reports" from the Foto's app' on the problem I experience with it...........All without a single response from Leica, nada, so I guess they don't care or agree. It's a shame that such a "prestige" company that prides itself of the quality of it's product just chooses to ignore feedback from it's customers but this is something I have got used to. As to who to contact at Leica, just make yourself really annoying here: info@leica-camera.com, who knows, you may get a response. A squeaky wheel and all that.................Good luck!

Edited by petermullett
spelling

13 minutes ago, AndreasG said:

I still cannot complain about the functionality of the M10-D switch, the force to turn on/off required is appropriate, no risk of accidental on/off. You better send your camera to Leica for a (free) repair, I would not accept such a malfunction.

It was Andreas and was found to be "in specification".........Everyone's take on any piece of gear can be different of course depending on one's mode of use, my problem with the switch is that for me it's an unsatisfactory piece of design and that it really should have been elsewhere on the body, namely where all the digital M's on/off switches are, around the shutter button and likewise the exposure compensation handled with the thumb wheel.

Edited by petermullett

Totally agree with @AndreasG.  Mine has been perfect, but I wouldn't put up with black tape or drilled holes to make it work.  The answer is simple: just send it back to Leica and tell them to fix it.  I had a problem with the original MD - when you set the ISO to 800 it exposed for 6400.  Sent it back and the camera was returned within two weeks, fixed and with a full CLA.  Hope you haven't invalidated the warranty by messing about with it.

As far as the design of the on/off switch is concerned, it is what it is, and no amount of complaining to Leica will change that.  Some like it, some don't, and those that really don't probably end up buying a different camera.  C'est la vie . . .

36 minutes ago, T25UFO said:

Totally agree with @AndreasG.  Mine has been perfect, but I wouldn't put up with black tape or drilled holes to make it work.  The answer is simple: just send it back to Leica and tell them to fix it.  I had a problem with the original MD - when you set the ISO to 800 it exposed for 6400.  Sent it back and the camera was returned within two weeks, fixed and with a full CLA.  Hope you haven't invalidated the warranty by messing about with it.

As far as the design of the on/off switch is concerned, it is what it is, and no amount of complaining to Leica will change that.  Some like it, some don't, and those that really don't probably end up buying a different camera.  C'est la vie . . .

+1

Also no problems. Never even thought about it, till I read this thread. I do however like the 'old' on/off swith of the M-D type 262 better. 

i agree, Poli and Petermullet.  in my opinion it is the position and the ergonomics of the on/off switch that is simply more intuitive on the M-D or the M60, or many other cameras built over decades - see pic below which i had found some day on the web :

this is the point i want to convey to Leica, for their 'next M*-D'.  i don't want to look at the wheel for knowing what state it is in (on/off/wifi) - it's confusing, distracting and costs precious seconds.  repairing the wheel doesn't change this ergonomic aspect, though perhaps it would help with not having to find the camera wifi turned on accidentally in a backpack and its battery drained in no time.  by the way, i feel that leaving the camera on all the time also drains the battery significantly faster.

having said all this, i still love the M10-D and the thumb rest , no doubt about that !

Edited by fenykepesz
  • Like 1

Leaving the camera turned on, with the 2 minute sleep enabled, doesn't drain the battery very much at all in fact. As I said in the post I can turn my M10-D on at the beginning of the day and tap the shutter release to wake when I want to make a shot. Most days, used in that way, it only takes one battery for the whole day's use. I've even tested this by having the camera turned on but not used for two or three days and the battery only loses 10-20% ........and the tape can stay in place!

1 hour ago, fenykepesz said:

i agree, Poli and Petermullet.  in my opinion it is the position and the ergonomics of the on/off switch that is simply more intuitive on the M-D or the M60, or many other cameras built over decades - see pic below which i had found some day on the web :

this is the point i want to convey to Leica, for their 'next M*-D'.  i don't want to look at the wheel for knowing what state it is in (on/off/wifi) - it's confusing, distracting and costs precious seconds.  repairing the wheel doesn't change this ergonomic aspect, though perhaps it would help with not having to find the camera wifi turned on accidentally in a backpack and its battery drained in no time.  by the way, i feel that leaving the camera on all the time also drains the battery significantly faster.

having said all this, i still love the M10-D and the thumb rest , no doubt about that !

Really sorry you have this problem, but important to differentiate between a design fault and a camera fault.  The camera was designed with a rear on/off switch, which you either like or dislike, but if the switch doesn't work properly, then that is a camera fault and Leica should fix it.

My guess is the on/off switch was moved so that Leica could more easily incorporate the lever/thumb rest.  It wouldn't be impossible to have the on/off switch AND the lever (the M7 has this out of necessity - need to wind the film on) but probably easier form an engineering standpoint to separate the functions.  Unlike @petermullett I find the wi-fi useful and that switch has to go somewhere!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, T25UFO said:

I sent mine back. Took a while. 
But is it not a design fault? It never feels quite right to me. 

• Like 1

I never had a problem with the on/off switch. Works great for me (since over a year), never have switched it on accidentally. 

I was used very quickly to the new position to turn the camera on (coming from an M240). 

If you habe problems with it I would send it to Leica (and I would never drill some holes in my Leica) 😳

Edited by humerc
  • Like 2

it is actually more like a 'scratch', perhaps a millimeter deep, drilled only with the very top end of a 1.6mm strong drill, and then filled with some color.

at least this way i was able to see that these wheel rings are made of brass or some yellowish metal, and not some el cheapo plastic :)

Edited by fenykepesz

13 hours ago, fenykepesz said:

it is actually more like a 'scratch', perhaps a millimeter deep, drilled only with the very top end of a 1.6mm strong drill, and then filled with some color.

at least this way i was able to see that these wheel rings are made of brass or some yellowish metal, and not some el cheapo plastic :)

Made of brass?  That's interesting because a lot of users (on here?) were calling for the plastic dials to be made of metal. Maybe they were deceived.  The cog always looks a little distorted to me. Also, how the hell does a cog activate a physical switch.  I'm curious.