M10-D owners - are you happy?

MRJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, petermullett said:

One annoying thing I am finding about the decision of Leica to re-position the on/off/wi-fi switch to the back of the M10-D that on several occasions I have found that I have inadvertently turned the switch too far when switching the camera on and it's sat in the WiFi ON position long before I realise it........( The clue being that the camera gets warm, but of course then the battery exhausts itself really quickly then too ). I've already camera-taped the inner exposure compensation dial so that doesn't move on me again and now I'm trying to figure out how to prevent turning on the WiFi accidentally too as I rarely use it anyway.

There's nothing in any firmware update that can address what is to my mind this stupid oddity of design on Leica's part in what otherwise is a brilliant camera but I do hope that in any future MD's this inconvenient on/off/WiFi switch arrangement is reconsidered. Why they didn't leave the switch where it should be around the shutter release as on the previous MD and just have the ASA / compensation dial on the back of the camera I don't know, or at the very least why they didn't think that accidentally switching to WiFi could easily occur and build in an "idiot lock" that you have to press to turn the dial further to the WiFi position. That whole rear circular switch idea is in my opinion and experience badly conceived.

Interesting . . . my dial is quite stiff so never had this problem.  I agree that the original MD ISO dial would have been better, but it would also have meant a complete re-design of the M10 layout, which would probably not be practical.  In addition, having a three position switch around the shutter button wouldn't solve the problem of accidentally moving the switch to wi-fi.  On my M240 (and Q1) I regularly switched two clicks to continuous shooting when I just want single shooting.

To borrow from Abe Lincoln . . . Leica can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time but they can't . . . well, you know the rest 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, petermullett said:

One annoying thing I am finding about the decision of Leica to re-position the on/off/wi-fi switch to the back of the M10-D that on several occasions I have found that I have inadvertently turned the switch too far when switching the camera on and it's sat in the WiFi ON position long before I realise it........( The clue being that the camera gets warm, but of course then the battery exhausts itself really quickly then too ). I've already camera-taped the inner exposure compensation dial so that doesn't move on me again and now I'm trying to figure out how to prevent turning on the WiFi accidentally too as I rarely use it anyway.

There's nothing in any firmware update that can address what is to my mind this stupid oddity of design on Leica's part in what otherwise is a brilliant camera but I do hope that in any future MD's this inconvenient on/off/WiFi switch arrangement is reconsidered. Why they didn't leave the switch where it should be around the shutter release as on the previous MD and just have the ASA / compensation dial on the back of the camera I don't know, or at the very least why they didn't think that accidentally switching to WiFi could easily occur and build in an "idiot lock" that you have to press to turn the dial further to the WiFi position. That whole rear circular switch idea is in my opinion and experience badly conceived.

I’m also big on taping switches in position when they get moved too easily.  I never use the off switch on my M10P.  Power save is set to 2 minutes (wish it had a 30 second setting).  I let the camera turn itself off.   Tap the shutter release to turn on...

• Like 2

17 hours ago, petermullett said:

One annoying thing I am finding about the decision of Leica to re-position the on/off/wi-fi switch to the back of the M10-D that on several occasions I have found that I have inadvertently turned the switch too far when switching the camera on and it's sat in the WiFi ON position long before I realise it..

My dial is pretty stiff (usually I use two thumbs to turn it), so I do not have this problem. 

• Like 1

Thanks T25UFO, KFo and MRJohn...........maybe the exposure compensation dial moving is just due to my way of handling the M10-D, it's no big deal because as I said black camera tape's fixed that problem and as many of my cameras, still or cine, seem to have tape here and there that doesn't concern me too much. However I still would like to have a way to lock out going to the WiFi position on the circular switch.

On another subject, has anyone discovered any real usage for the "thumb wheel", does it do anything useful?....Should I read the manual again?

1 hour ago, petermullett said:

On another subject, has anyone discovered any real usage for the "thumb wheel", does it do anything useful?

It is almost designed for the EVF.

But you will also use it when set the date manually.

Thanks Coltma.........it's about time Leica found something more useful for that thumb-wheel to do...........Like having the camera's set-up menu in the EVF and the thumbwheel to navigate it. Not much chance of that happening I guess.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

23 hours ago, petermullett said:

On another subject, has anyone discovered any real usage for the "thumb wheel", does it do anything useful?....Should I read the manual again?

I think currently it's just to set the date. In future, I would like to see that extended with a firmware update to perform certain functions such as changing metering mode to save me having to use the Fotos App for that. Happy the thumb wheel is there so that the firmware people can think about some creative usability features for it.

On 5/12/2019 at 5:30 AM, MRJohn said:

My dial is pretty stiff (usually I use two thumbs to turn it), so I do not have this problem. 

Same. I don't have a problem with it. I can move it with one thumb, but two thumbs is slightly easier. I haven't experienced any issue of inadvertently moving it to WiFi.

22 minutes ago, mb_p said:

Same. I don't have a problem with it. I can move it with one thumb, but two thumbs is slightly easier. I haven't experienced any issue of inadvertently moving it to WiFi.

I would agree, very little chance of inadvertently moving it to WiFi. In fact the only complaint that I have (and it was entirely my fault) was when I checked my photos I found that I had, apparently, taken them in 2015. Note to myself: doublecheck when you set the date😊.

58 minutes ago, mb_p said:

I think currently it's just to set the date. In future, I would like to see that extended with a firmware update to perform certain functions such as changing metering mode to save me having to use the Fotos App for that. Happy the thumb wheel is there so that the firmware people can think about some creative usability features for it.

When the EVF is attached, the thumb wheel moves the magnified focal point. I like that option as it is.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2019 at 8:16 PM, horosu said:

a very bad decision on Leica's part- another way to interrupt the "flow" of picture-taking

I find the design perfect for me. I usually have the EC dial set -2/3 to protect highlights and leave it there. 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2019 at 9:19 PM, petermullett said:

If you like to take long exposures, all of the B settings longer than 8 secs up to 4 mins (depending on ISO) are reached through the thumbwheel and displayed in the VF20. 

Yes, read the manual again, but don't believe anything until you have tried it.

• Like 1

Well I probably skipped that piece in the manual Scott as it’s something that has pretty much no value for me.......but thanks for pointing it out, there may well be other M10-D owners for which this is handy to learn.

I still wish though that the thumb wheel could have other more useful functions available to it.

There is one other M10-D related wish that I'd like to resolve, albeit one that has little to do with Leica itself and that is finding decent camera body protection because as it is now my M10-D rolls out into the world naked without any sort of protection or half case, unlike it's LCD toting brother the M10 that has used the Leica half case since I bought both the case and the camera at the same time. I did hear that "Luigi" cases makes one for the 10-D but that website gives me such a headache I can't get past the first page without throwing in the towel.......

I'd love for these guys to make something for the M10-D and the M10's, https://tekiac.de/, I've their protective cover for the Q and I love it's functionality and design, the price is damn reasonable too, but so far they've only made covers for the Q's and the CL, a real pity. I did hear some months ago that a Tekiac M10 protector could be in the works, but despite nudging them on this a couple of times there's been no other word.

11 minutes ago, petermullett said:

There is one other M10-D related wish that I'd like to resolve, albeit one that has little to do with Leica itself and that is finding decent camera body protection because as it is now my M10-D rolls out into the world naked without any sort of protection or half case, unlike it's LCD toting brother the M10 that has used the Leica half case since I bought both the case and the camera at the same time. I did hear that "Luigi" cases makes one for the 10-D but that website gives me such a headache I can't get past the first page without throwing in the towel.

Go to Luigi's eBay site and simply order it, with or without a strap. I ordered mine on Saturday and it arrived, by UPS, on Tuesday. No need to go to his website. I can thourerly recommend it.

6 minutes ago, Matlock said:

Go to Luigi's eBay site and simply order it, with or without a strap. I ordered mine on Saturday and it arrived, by UPS, on Tuesday. No need to go to his website. I can thourerly recommend it.

Thanks Matlock, I'm sort of "over" high priced leather gear after finding and using the Q protector so I'm going to continue nudging https://tekiac.de/ for a while in the hope that they'll produce one for either M10. 

11 hours ago, petermullett said:

Thanks Matlock, I'm sort of "over" high priced leather gear after finding and using the Q protector so I'm going to continue nudging https://tekiac.de/ for a while in the hope that they'll produce one for either M10. 

An "over" priced Luigi is a perfect fit to an "over" priced Leica 😀, joking aside, I ordered my a while ago, really like it and find the price fair. I always had Luigi cases for my Ms and if it is not a perfect fit you send it back and he will replace it. The one thing I need to tell him is that the lens cutout needs to be a little bit wider as the summaron 28/5.6 focus knob touches the case. No issue with any other lens.

26 minutes ago, MRJohn said:

An "over" priced Luigi is a perfect fit to an "over" priced Leica 😀, joking aside, I ordered my a while ago, really like it and find the price fair. I always had Luigi cases for my Ms and if it is not a perfect fit you send it back and he will replace it. The one thing I need to tell him is that the lens cutout needs to be a little bit wider as the summaron 28/5.6 focus knob touches the case. No issue with any other lens.

I have dealt with Luigi over a number of years and always got excellent service. The cutout is something that needs to be addressed for all his M cases (the LTM cases provide for it). However I shall not be using the Summaron 28/5.6 on my M10-D so the problem does not arise, I will reserve the Summaron for my Silver Chrome M7. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/11/2019 at 11:53 PM, horosu said:

Are you able to reach the wheel on the back of the camera and rotate it with one finger, with the camera at eye-level?

It seems a very cumbersome procedure, for me, but then, again, I haven't got the M10-D (but pondering to buy it)

very easy to reach the thumb wheel at eye level

Edited by tjh1023

On 7/4/2019 at 1:41 PM, MRJohn said:

Hi john,

does the case compatible with the leica mate? For swapping the battery? 

I have one since the m10D eats up a lot of power just for convenience purposes