One Blogger's reasons for not buying a Leica Q2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is one blogger’s (Horatio Tan of Street Silhouettes) reasoning for rejecting and having no interest in getting a Leica Q2. It's titled: 

"My Views on the Leica Q2 - and Why I won't Be Getting It"

https://www.streetsilhouettes.com/home/2019/2/1/my-views-on-the-leica-q2-and-why-i-wont-be-getting-it

12 minutes ago, Daedalus2000 said:

+1, I respect that it is his personal point of view, but I am not sure he makes any valid point apart for the point that the camera has too many megapixels for him...

Yes, I could write a blog about my reasons for not buying one, with lots of irrelevant photos to accompany it. I can't think why I'd bother though.

• Like 4

Pointless article, effectively it's just a rant about it being a fixed lens camera. Moaning about 47MP is also a bit stupid, the Q2 will be an active model for 3-4 years by which point 24MP would be obsolete.

A shame as that effort could have been put into something positive, the photos aren't really to my taste but he's clearly got some talent and a passion for photography.

• Haha 1

Long, long ago back when the Earth was young and green, and my thoughts would contemplate the one of my dreams, I would be happiest pondering the virtues of her.  Never would I waste time degrading the one I did not want.  Now I am old, and I dream of a tasty home cooked meal, a good waste evacuation, and the next Leica.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe he is doing it for the views, especially if his blog is monetized. When a new camera is announced or is in the market, a lot of bloggers and vloggers will create contents about that camera. If you want to be noticed you need to create some controversy and try clickbait tittles. Once you click and read/watch the thing, you notice the content is irrelevant. Like that blog entry-rant 😅

• Thanks 1

senseless story with age old pictures of film camera in b+w.

The only point is that Q2 is a 28mm fixed lens camera and that a 47mp picture is too large. Correct, especially if you have to send it to your paper.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, IamTheDistance said:

Maybe he is doing it for the views, especially if his blog is monetized. When a new camera is announced or is in the market, a lot of bloggers and vloggers will create contents about that camera. If you want to be noticed you need to create some controversy and try clickbait tittles. Once you click and read/watch the thing, you notice the content is irrelevant. Like that blog entry-rant 😅

If turns out he posted to get paid for views, would hope the forum would remove this thread.

That being said, I think was a pointless article.  The Q or the Q2 would not be this guy’s cup of tea, so why bother writing about it?  Who cares.  For me the Q fills a gap.  It doesn’t do everything and I don’t demand that much of it.  But what it does do, it does very well.  I love it as my travel camera when I want to go light.  Sure, my M and my x1D can out perform.  So what?  It is what it is.

I have found his comparison reviews interesting in the past, SL vs M10 vs A9 for image quality and so forth.

I could understand if he has an audience that are anticipating his views on the Q2, for him to write why not.

But I don't really care either way :)

• Like 2

I agree with Dan on this one, don't really care either way.  Everyone is entitled to an opinion and some of these people write reviews.  There are many with so much fluff on new products that something to the contrary is needed to create honest debate.

The reviewer obviously loves his film Leica and I see nothing wrong with that.

At least he wasn't pushing Fuji or Sony over Leica, that would mean WAR! 😉

• Haha 1

Hi, I'm new here. Doing some research on the Q2 so it's interesting to me to read not just camera praises but also potential concerns.

That said I did find this particular post rather shallow.. but hey it's just a blog not a review, guy is indeed entitled his opinion..

What I can say having actually tried the Q2 and worked with the DNGs is that the increase in resolution is kind of a game changer IMO.

For the crop mode obviously but even just at 28mm. The sharpness/detail is just really stunning and compliments the fixed Summilux lens completely.

The DR/recovery is also amazing on this sensor. So much so that I find the Q2 image quality potentially surpasses both the M10 & SL.. which is quite a stunt!

• Like 1

Hopefully Horatio can say whatever he wants. 

And he is right about one important thing : if you were not into the Q the first time, the Q2 will not make you change your mind.

It is still a fixed 28mm with decent 35mm crop. No matter how good Q2 is. This fact will remain. 

Leica should have made a second Q with another focal lens. With the benefit to sell a second Q to previous owners and to sell it to anybody who hates 28mm. 

As somebody who is not "into" the Q I can assure you that that is because the camera does not appeal as a concept. Whether the lens is 28 or 35 mm does not make a difference in that respect. If one needs to crop the Q(2) on a regular basis, one is using the wrong tool anyway. Cropping is not a substitute for changing focal length.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, jaapv said:

Cropping is not a substitute for changing focal length.

I imagine many (most?) people who bought into the Q concept may disagree with you about this (as a matter of fact quite a few people seem to be upgrading from Q to Q2 pirmarily so they can get more pixels to make cropping easier). Anyhow, I am somewhat conflicted about this - I have done more cropping of my Q images than I ever imagined I would do before I purchased the camear (was dead set against that idea in the past), and have to admit that I got many excellent images (at least to my eyes). But eventually I decided to get into another system (Fuji GFX 50R with few lenses, in addition to keeping my Q) because I did not want to spend so much time in front of the computer dealing with cropping. Of course as great as Q images can be, the medium format does have the ability to take them to another level of IQ (however to achieve that must be very disciplined in terms of paying attention to technique, frequent use of tripod, etc - all good things really as far as I'm concerned with the obvious tradoff of carrying DSLR type of equipment again).

• Like 1