One Blogger's reasons for not buying a Leica Q2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

31 minutes ago, MisterMagoo said:

I think everybody agrees 75mm is mostly a gimmick. That isn't what you buy the camera for.

As for the huge files being 'overwhelming' well that just depends on your computer/workflow.

16MB JPG / 80MB DNGs is no problem for me and I really appreciate the resolution increase. YMMV.

The file sizes can easily be reduced with lossless compression from Adobe or inside Lightroom. This is well covered in another Q2 thread. The post compression size is right around 50MB. 

In France the used market is not flooded by original Q. And my Leica store (the biggest in France) even called me last week, to buy one. The second batch arriving this week is not fully sold. Waiting list is not long enough. 

Maybe not the success they are waiting for. They confirmed me that most of their customers having a Q, did not mind upgrading yet. And some just want to wait for SL2. Actually they have no Q traded in for Q2. Very surprised about that. 

Edited by nicci78

17 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

In France the used market is not flooded by original Q.

There are 15 used Q's on UK eBay and 14 on FR eBay - so I guess, by that measure, the UK is not flooded either.

Though, MPB has 12 which seem considerable for them

Edited by dancook

Leica Saint-Honoré told me they sold all 30 copies first day. Leica Lille & Marseille got a few Qs turned in.

Anyways I don't think Q1 owners are the primary target. Q2 is in the top most popular cameras over at DPReview.

I think the fact it is the first high MP full frame Leica is kind of a big deal and the crop modes now make more sense than ever..

Oh and it also shoots Cinema 4K (albeit in auto-only 😡) which marketing wise opens it up more.

Edited by MisterMagoo
  • Like 1

On 3/20/2019 at 3:09 PM, dancook said:

There are 15 used Q's on UK eBay and 14 on FR eBay - so I guess, by that measure, the UK is not flooded either.

Though, MPB has 12 which seem considerable for them

Did not even think to check ebay. In France, eBay is almost dead... is there any french buyer ? maybe.

Only 4 used french Leica Q in eBay France anyway. 

But maybe more traction since last week :

• 7 traded in and sell by the eleven french Leica stores or shops 
  • 14 used Q through leboncoin.fr (french Craiglist)

Anyway kudos for Leica, this time Q2 launched was exceptional. Very nice availability. No stock problem at all. They still receive them regularly. 

By the way, only 4 british used Leica Q on sell on eBay UK. Really not flooded. 

Edited by nicci78