Q2 47 mps, Dirt & Drip proof & new EVF (FWIW!)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 59 Minuten schrieb nicci78:

What’s also bother me is that the Q2 is using the SL battery. No more sharing with CL, what a bummer. 

Q2 is certainly designed to be an SL or future SL2 companion. Sharing the same battery and being both weatherproof.

However CL was designed to be a Q wingman, by sharing the same battery system. And offering complementary focal lengths  

So it is best, cheaper and wiser to keep the Q + CL

Making a decision for or against a camera because of a battery is absurd.

I would never doubt a Q because of a CL. A CL is nothing special for an APS-C camera, the lenses are overpriced average, but a Q is stunningly good in all aspects. And a Q2 will be even better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Q said:

Precisely the experience I had with my brief ownership of the CL. It's IQ was comparable to my Fuji X cameras, in that they were technically great, but not astonishing like the results I regularly got with my Q and M10 (and now X1D). I love surprises when reviewing the images on my PC, and once spoiled, there's no turning back 😁

exactly my (limited) experience. I borrowed a friend's CL, used it for a few days and decided it was not for me

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Decision is over.

Before having the CL. My Q was used for 60% of all my pictures from mid 2015 to end 2017. 21% was shot with a M Monochrom or M10. Leftover are from Sony RX1/10/100 cameras.

But after buying the CL. My Q was only used for 36% of my pictures from the beginning of 2018 until today. CL was used for more than 57%. What's left is M and T photos. 

So there is no reason to spend 2500€ into a fixed 28mm lens camera I use less and less. I will buy another nice lens for CL instead. Yes CL is very good and a pleasure to shoot with.

I came at this from the opposite side, having bought my Q after my CL. I haven’t crunched the numbers, but I’d guess I’m using my Q 95% of the time now and might take the opportunity to trade both in to buy a Q2. I just like the photos I get out of the Q a lot better than the CL and the size difference is not that big vs what I get out of it.

I might keep my TL lenses though and eventually Sigma or Panasonic will put out a body that speaks more to me.

In the end for me it'll be about 3 things primarily:

1. price and what I can get used/trade-in on the Q

2. IQ and image qualities unique to the Q/lens combo

3. Form and build - weight, feel in the hand, etc.  Which it seems to me will be very like the Q.

Outside of that things like battery type and image management due to size don't phase me and are largely offset by other new features like weather sealing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nicci78 said:

At 6400 and more 24MP are better, the extra pixels are lost in the noise. The higher ISO we use, the noisier 42/45MP will be, compare to their 24MP siblings. 

I think you are right here: I recently bought Nikon z7 :o and night pics at 1600 ISO  looked a good deal noisier than ones I'd taken in the past with Q or M cameras.

14 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Do not hold your breath about 4K video. It will be minimum support, nothing like Lumix S1R

I'm not so sure about that given Leica has had full-frame 4K on the SL for years now. I doubt Leica will pull a Canon and de-spec the Q with cropped-4K, but they may be forced to limit the frame rate given the target size of the Q body.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, microview said:

I think you are right here: I recently bought Nikon z7 :o and night pics at 1600 ISO  looked a good deal noisier than ones I'd taken in the past with Q or M cameras.

Were they long exposures? I thought I read that Leica force-applies long-exposure noise reduction whereas Nikon does not.

We're doing thread drift here, but these are such important issues.

I agree with nicci78 that there is far more to a camera besides technical clarity. We're in the next stage of technical achievement, and lots of people with the money to afford something beyond their cell phones are taking technically great photos. It's similar to the muscle cars of the 60s/70s: but, while a hemi engine may get you to the next traffic light faster, it's not necessarily a better or more enjoyable ride than a car with a finely tuned engine with smaller displacement. If you look at the CL photo thread on this site, there are truly fantastic photos. I do think that in some technical ways, the Q's photos are often better, but for overall enjoyment of images, the CL photos are just as good. And SL users who also own the CL say pretty much the same in that comparison as well.

I'm making a pitch here for the subjectivity of our art, rather than the technical "objectivity" (no such thing, but I'll  play along) of our science.

Well, to really take us off topic, this is what I'm waiting for in the next stage of camera fantasy island. In 2020 Sigma is going to produce a 60mps Faveon sensor camera for L mount lenses. Imagine that for landscape and portraiture with the current amazing Leica L mounts! That's taking us into a brave new world of Kodachrome 25-like digital.

Edited by bags27
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, hdmesa said:

Were they long exposures? I thought I read that Leica force-applies long-exposure noise reduction whereas Nikon does not.

As I remember, no, not particularly. In fact I deleted them all after inspection but I'll try again at some time, perhaps duplicate with M262 as well for exact comparisons. Thanks for your query.

• Like 1

(Nokishita)

• Number of effective pixels 47.3 million pixels Full size CMOS (Total number of pixels: 50.4 million pixels)
  • Summilux 28 mm f / 1.7 ASPH. (Eleven groups nine, including three aspheric lenses)
  • Digital zoom: 35 mm, 50 mm, 75 mm
  • 4K: 30 / 24fps, C4K: 24fps, Full HD: 120/60/30 / 24fps
  • ISO speed: 50-50000
  • Shutter speed: 60 to 1/2000 seconds (mechanical shutter), 1 to 1/40000 seconds (electronic shutter), 1/3 stepFlash synchronization speed: 1 / 500th second
  • Number of continuous shoots: 10 frames / second (high), 5 frames / second (middle), 3 frames / second (low)
  • EVF: 3.68 million dot organic EL
  • Rear liquid crystal: 3.0 type 1.04 million dots
  • Battery: BP-SCL 4
  • Number of storable pictures: about 370 pictures
  • Memory card: SD / SDHC / SDXC card (UHS-II compatible)
  • Size: W130 x H80 x D92 mm
  • Weight: 718 g (including battery), 637 g (body only)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, MCJ said:

This all seems rather specific. What is the source of this information?

this one translated i think

https://www.nokishita-camera.com/2019/03/q2.html

---------

Just need to confirm drip and dust proof(how good it is or something) along with OIS (like in current Leica Q), and itll be up for consideration

3 hours ago, guibo said:

(Nokishita)

• Number of effective pixels 47.3 million pixels Full size CMOS (Total number of pixels: 50.4 million pixels)
  • Summilux 28 mm f / 1.7 ASPH. (Eleven groups nine, including three aspheric lenses)
  • Shutter speed: 60 to 1/2000 seconds (mechanical shutter), 1 to 1/40000 seconds (electronic shutter), 1/3 stepFlash synchronization speed: 1 / 500th second
  • Number of continuous shoots: 10 frames / second (high), 5 frames / second (middle), 3 frames / second (low)

I hope it’s real.

2.75 oz weight increase. 

Same dimensions as Q

10 fps

UHS-II

3.68M pixel OLED EVF. (SL is 4.4Mpixel)

SL battery - BP-SCL4 1860 maH ($250 at B&H) ugh!!! 

Looks like a lot of significant improvements  👏👏👏

Edited by Infiniumguy

10 hours ago, guibo said:

(Nokishita)

Thank you, only price is missing

7 hours ago, Infiniumguy said:

I hope it’s real.

2.75 oz weight increase. 

Same dimensions as Q

10 fps

UHS-II

Seems weird the SL batteries are $250 in the US. In Europe they’re around €140. Still more expensive than I’d like, but still a lot cheaper than that.

vor 9 Stunden schrieb Infiniumguy:

I hope it’s real.

2.75 oz weight increase. 

Same dimensions as Q

10 fps

UHS-II

You say "same dimensions". Is this maybe wrong? Did we not read that the lens is bigger (better)? Might this be the reason for the higher weight?

42 minutes ago, guibo said:

i bought recently a Q-P

This is frustrating.

I just bought a Q-P as well. I am quite happy with my decision. I’ll let the Q2 bed in and have the inevitable firmware upgrade or two, and just go and take pictures with my Q-P, which is gorgeous by the way. Plus it looks like I’ll have saved over £1000 (I got a GOOD deal) so I’ll find something to do with that cash.

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, Alex U. said:

Did we not read that the lens is bigger (better)? Might this be the reason for the higher weight? 

The lens specification given in this thread is the same as the specification for the lens in the Leica Q (which I have). The weight given in this thread for the Q2 body only is merely 47g heavier than that for the Q body. The difference between the Q2 plus battery (718g) and Q plus battery (640g) is 78g. Read into all of that what you will!

Stephen

• Like 1