Q2 47 mps, Dirt & Drip proof & new EVF (FWIW!)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wonder why they lie to you like that ? Stupid thing to do, when launch is next Wednesday. Leica stores has invited their best customers for a preview party. Worst they openly discussed about it in store in front of several customers. 

With all the leaks (from Leica itself of course) spreading over the internet and a very über silent Jono Slack 😙 is there any chance to hide the Q2

11 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

What's the practical/performance difference between OIS and IBIS in a fixed lens camera?

IBIS gives you stabilization on 5-axis, could be combined with OIS, and gives the opportunity for the manufacturer to offer sensor-shift high-res mode. 

I was mainly pointing out that OIS should take less power than IBIS.

Edited by hdmesa
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 hours ago, hexx said:

And how much do you think video weighs?

How much does the larger battery to support the 4K power-draw weigh? How much does the heat sink or heat dissipation system (thicker internal body frame) weigh? How much weight was added to make the body larger to allow for more interior room for cooling (if they did do that). They obviously had to increase the battery size, but the jury is out on the second two items until we get the specs.

19 hours ago, Infiniumguy said:

Yes. I agree. The weight increasing does not excite me. If it’s a lot, that will be a big negative. I disliked the M-10 the first time I handled one. Absolutely high quality, but the weight was a negative if one carried it around all day like I can easily do with my Q. I guess we’ll find out in just 7 days. Fun to dream and wonder. 

The Panasonic S1R has “Internal Shake Reduction” which they say works in conjunction with stabilized lenses. Will that be in the Q2? 

I think their "internal shake reduction" is their term for IBIS, and I don't think a true IBIS mechanism will fit in the Q2. But I would be glad to be wrong.

3 hours ago, nariza7 said:

its really hard for me to imagine fitting 47mp, heat dissipation for 4k, drip and dust proofing, and big battery into the current Leica Q body size. Wonder if there are any tradeoffs...

The RX1RII with 42MP is much smaller than the Q and it was released 3 years ago... 4K can be limited to 10-15 minutes to prevent heat, and weather sealing really only means rubber gaskets which hardly adds any size.

I'm most curious about the reported SL battery and SD card placement. I'm tempted to buy the SL again 😎

• Haha 1

4K may be cropped, such as Lumix S1R

3 hours ago, Mr.Q said:

The RX1RII with 42MP is much smaller than the Q and it was released 3 years ago... 

Funny thing.

What failed the RX1R II is its too small size and tiny bitsy battery.

And non stabilized 35mm lens. Hard to sell for a 42MP camera.

And annoying two steps retractable EVF. 

10 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

4K may be cropped, such as Lumix S1R

Funny thing.

What failed the RX1R II is its too small size and tiny bitsy battery.

And non stabilized 35mm lens. Hard to sell for a 42MP camera.

And annoying two steps retractable EVF. 

What failed the RX1R series for me was 

• No zone focusing distance gauge
  • resets AF to infinity after waking up from the much needed power saving naps
  • autofocus was too slow for spontaneous happenings.

So it didn't make a very good street camera for how I like to do things.

The closest you could get to zone focusing was to put the macro ring in such a position that the 'reset to infinity' put it where you needed it.

The RX1R II advertised with 30% faster AF, but 30% faster than slow is still slow... so I never gave it a look in - and probably for the best.

When I discovered the Q, it had a distance gauge - YAY - but the AF was so lightning fast I never ended up using it, and shot f1.7 most of the time instead.

Edited by dancook
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr.Q said:

The RX1RII with 42MP is much smaller than the Q and it was released 3 years ago... 4K can be limited to 10-15 minutes to prevent heat, and weather sealing really only means rubber gaskets which hardly adds any size.

I'm most curious about the reported SL battery and SD card placement. I'm tempted to buy the SL again 😎

you can buy mine, since all this has come about no one wants to touch an SL even with a barge pole