Going to the Lofoten with M10 silver

Lucena

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am going to the Lofoten and one of the purposes is Northern lights photography. I know that temperature at night is far bellow 0ºCelsius, I would like to know if someone has that kind of experience, I am affraid the metal will freeze quickly, is there any risk for the camera?... Any tips?

I also have the option of taking a tropicalized D800 Nikon...

Obrigada, thanks for all help provided.

Well, a black one must be better than a silver one at absorbing any heat that goes around ;) . I'm not sure whether tropicalizing a camera is very useful in Arctic conditions. Rather the opposite, I should think.

4 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Well, a black one must be better than a silver one at absorbing any heat that goes around ;) . I'm not sure whether tropicalizing a camera is very useful in Arctic conditions. Rather the opposite, I should think.

But as I have a silver one... 

I would really like to know if someone had the experience and can help me on that... 😩

10 minutes ago, Lucena said:

I am going to the Lofoten and one of the purposes is Northern lights photography. I know that temperature at night is far bellow 0ºCelsius, I would like to know if someone has that kind of experience, I am affraid the metal will freeze quickly, is there any risk for the camera?... Any tips?

I also have the option of taking a tropicalized D800 Nikon...

Obrigada, thanks for all help provided.

No risk in the cold with the M10, whatsoever. Travel and enjoy the winter landscape wind your M10!

But do keep a couple of spare batteries warm in your pocket - nothing will reduce capacity like cold! I don't foresee any real problems for camera as such. But it should be sealed into a plastic bag when warming up when you take it inside to prevent condenstion.

19 hours ago, jaapv said:

But do keep a couple of spare batteries warm in your pocket - nothing will reduce capacity like cold! I don't foresee any real problems for camera as such. But it should be sealed into a plastic bag when warming up when you take it inside to prevent condenstion.

The plastic bag thing is totaly new for me. Can you give me more details as when exactly do I seal the camera in the bag, do I do it before entering the house or the car? How long or till when do I keep it sealed, that is when I feel the camera is at the same temperature as inside I unseal it?

20 hours ago, pico said:

Enjoy it. My M10 is silver. I live where it gets cold. I do keep two spare fully charged batteries in an inside coat pocket.

I always have two spare, and I have a "warm" little bag I will use...

Obrigada, thanks

Did anyone of you photograph northern lights? Which settings would you recommend?  I did in the Faroe with Leica Q, but it was so windy that tripod hardly handled...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Lucena
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lucena said:

Did anyone of you photograph northern lights? Which settings would you recommend?  I did in the Faroe with Leica Q, but it was so windy that tripod hardly handled...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Try to focus the lens you use on a bright star, or the Moon. Shoot wide(ish) open, at f1.4-2.8, typically. Set the ISO at max 800 or 1600, the lower the 'better'. Try some exposures with shutter speed from a few sec to 10-20 sec. Tripod is a must. The histogram will mainly be at the left (=dark pixels), but ensure that there is a 'hump' on the histogram away from the far left end. If so, things are fine. 

I kept a spare battery under my arm and didn't have any problems. I was shooting with other cameras at -15C without problems though the batteries ran down quickly. I kept the spare battery under my armpit inside my jacked and would swap them every now and then. I don't know if it made a difference, but I used SanDisk Extreme cards.

Bring a sturdy tripod and your widest fast lens.

Here's a mix of Lofoten (Summer w/ an M10 & Panasonic) and around Tromso (Winter w/ a 5D).

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=94884421%40N00&text=Norway&view_all=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, helged said:

Try to focus the lens you use on a bright star, or the Moon. Shoot wide(ish) open, at f1.4-2.8, typically. Set the ISO at max 800 or 1600, the lower the 'better'. Try some exposures with shutter speed from a few sec to 10-20 sec. Tripod is a must. The histogram will mainly be at the left (=dark pixels), but ensure that there is a 'hump' on the histogram away from the far left end. If so, things are fine. 

It is about how I did then...  I can repeat/adjust, hoping it will not be that windy!

1 hour ago, Dan Bachmann said:

I kept a spare battery under my arm and didn't have any problems. I was shooting with other cameras at -15C without problems though the batteries ran down quickly. I kept the spare battery under my armpit inside my jacked and would swap them every now and then. I don't know if it made a difference, but I used SanDisk Extreme cards.

Bring a sturdy tripod and your widest fast lens.

Here's a mix of Lofoten (Summer w/ an M10 & Panasonic) and around Tromso (Winter w/ a 5D).

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=94884421%40N00&text=Norway&view_all=1

I think I will take heat pads for the battery bag... I also use the same cards as you, dont know if it improves... I went through your photostream to have a preview of what I will find, I loved it.

• Like 1