M Camera made by Zenit

Leon_B.

Without an EVF and with the enormous lens covering most of the OVF window and such a shallow depth of field I should imagine that this combination will be almost unusable. I used to use the CV 35/1.2 on my M but it was never ideal and this will be even worse

Are you sure its meant to be used? Rather for Russian 'oligarchs' to put in their glass cases.

Its like Porsche bringing out a Lada badge engineered model.

I suggest its only importance is to the marketing and accounts depts, none photographically whatsoever.

Gerry

It doesn't appear to be a 240 clone, it hasn't got the 6 bit sensors on the mount, wy, oh why?

6 bit coding is not absolutely essential on a 35mm lens.  When attending a Leica Mayfair customer event we were advised that 6 bit coding was only added to 35mm and longer focal length lenses because customers wanted it … not  because it enabled image optimisation. The 28mm and wider focal lengths and wider do benefit from 6 bit coding. Some might argue that they need the focal length in the EXIF data but again it's not essential … especially if only using one 35mm lens 

dunk  

• Like 1

I understand your point but I like to see the info in Lightroom. It gives me a record of the shot info.

Besides, isn't it a camera where you can remove the lens and use another? like a 21mm for instance.

Given a choice, which I don't have it seems, I would rather have it.

I'd prefer the M with the newer tech. There again, if they came out with a mono version, that would be something else

Bozhe Moi!

In a world where there is a market for Lomo Purple film (https://fstoppers.com/product/lomography-purple-why-would-you-want-your-greens-be-purple-3855), many won't be fazed by a little cyan drift or "Italian Flag" syndrome from a lack of 6-bit coding. They may even consider it a feature.

How many millions of old Russian lenses exist, that can't be 6-bit coded in any case? Zenit 20mm Russar (original, or as recently re-issued), etc. etc.? https://www.35mmc.com/22/10/2017/lomography-zenit-new-russar-20mm-review/

Not to mention Lomography in general, which also includes "Diana" lenses and is named for the old LOMO LC-A (LOMO = Leningradskoye Optiko-Mekhanicheskoye Obyedinenie):

https://www.google.com/search?q=lomography&client=firefox-b-1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiu4rHvstvdAhWN8oMKHdlZAJAQ_AUIDigB&biw=1907&bih=1250

"Quality images" have little to do with "image quality" or even "camera quality." Check any museum collection.

And even so, why presume the Zenit will not have lens ID in the menus, just because the lens detection hardware is left out?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And even so, why presume the Zenit will not have lens ID in the menus, just because the lens detection hardware is left out?

It would actually make better sense to have a 'custom' camera with specific lenses selectable by menu (35/1) rather than 6-bit coding which such lenses might not respond to very well. The firmware is apparently different; this might be one reason. Hopefully we will find out.

Mostly for nostalgic reasons. I am Russian, born in the USSR.  I live and work in Russia. My first camera was Zenit 3m. The second camera was FED-5V and since 1974 I have been shooting the rangefinders. I bought my first Leica in 1995-96 and still have several film Ms and one digital Leica M, the M9. 

I have been resisting the temptation to upgrade my M9 for several years and the Zenit-M looks nice enough to own. I do not need it, my m9 works well for me and I am happy with it, but I thought Why not and pressed the preorder button. The unique lens makes it a nice limited edition. I understand that it is outdated, but I am happy with my s2-P and it is ancient as well. 

Yevgeny

A Customer !

• Like 1

Matt Granger (a renowned photo Youtuber) made a video about the Zenith on the Photokina. You can find it HERE. Under the video there is a link to some sample photos he took with the Zenith on the Photokina. 

Apparently they saved money with leaving the 6-Bit away. Also I wouldn´t compare a Leica 35mm f1.0 with this Zenith Lens - the Leica is 13.000$, so the Zenith is bargain...I don't think so. I have a 35mm f0.95 from Mitakon for under 500€... (-;

But limited to 500 pieces the Zenith will find their fan boys and probably keep its value. So this way you can't consider it as a M240 substitute. 

There are providers for "Noctilux" lenses. 7artisan, Kamlin (?) or Mitakon. I think 7artisan delivers with M-mount. Mitakon is the market leader and I think also better than the others. If you don´t get M-Mount, take another mount with M-Adapter. I shoot a lot with adapter. 

I shoot the Mitakon on my Fuji. On my Leica the 35mm f1.4 is enough for me. 

Edited by Foto-Online

This is a really innovative camera, including Lightroom for in-camera editing, a huge amount of internal memory, and it has Leica's minimalist design/UI and all-aluminum body, with a much larger sensor.

It looks very "black box"--not nearly the flexibility of the Q. But I suspect it will be a lot cheaper and ultimately a lot more attractive than Sony's RX1 rii, which has way too busy of an interface and a pop-up EVF. Interesting that Zeiss is effectively competing against itself (Sony has the [same?] Zeiss lens), but, then again, it seems as if Sony is leaving Zeiss behind in developing its own G-Master lenses.

Kudos to Zeiss for thinking "outside the box."

Edited by bags27
  • Like 2

Interesting features!

• 37.4 MP Full Frame Sensor (paired in house to the lens)

• Zeiss 35mm f/2 lens

• 8 elements in 5 groups

• 52mm filter thread

• 512 GB SSD internal drive (no SD cards!)

• Stores 6,800 raw DNG files / 50,000 jpgs

• USB-C connection for syncing and charging

• 4.3” OLED rear panel (touch screen)

• On-board Adobe Lightroom CC

• Social Media integration

• HD 4K video at up to 30fps

Edited by Keith (M)

The 35/0.95 Mitakon lens is for micro four thirds cameras.

Pete. 

Yes, I knew that. I was baiting the OP.

It is easier to design and produce economical fast lenses for 4/3 sensors than larger formats.  One of my favorites is Voightlander 25mm ƒ/.95.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1