M Camera made by Zenit

Leon_B.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't see this body designed where-ever in Russia.  It's kinda sad because it's more like "Copy" from...Wetzlar + M10 ISO dial deleted.   

The outer shell and the packaging (whatever it is) were designed by a Russian company SmirnovDesign.https://smirnovdesign.com/porfolio/

Edited by ynp
  • Like 1

why don't KMZ make a LTM version with their own Russian register distance so all e.g. Jupiter LTM owners (which [mostly] do not focus sorrectly on a Leica LTM/M-mount with an adapter) , can at last use their lenses natively again.

Or trow in one verion on the market too with a German register distance

Come on, the biggest hurdle is the marketing, not the making.

And an LTM camera is completely free of license rights if I am well informed.

My Jupiter 3 focuses superbly with an adapter on my M10. It must be one of the exceptions, made in 1954. There are plenty of nasty fakes to be found in Russia still, but there are also genuine dealers, such as the one I visited in St Petersburg last March, who have a plentiful supply of the older LTM based models, more than enough to meet any current market demand. I do feel that this Zenit camera and lens are just the beginning of very interesting possibilities for Leica and the KMZ establishment. I intend to ask Leica executives about those possibilities when I am in Wetzlar with the LHSA group next week. I would suggest a reading of this website http://sovietcams.com for any forum members who are interested in this topic.

William

Edited by willeica
  • Like 2

The link below shows the new Zenitar 21mm. I am not sure that I want this lens, I have four 21s in Leica-M mount already

https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/the-next-zenit-m-lenses-will-be-the-50mm-f-1-0-and-21mm-f-2-8/

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

As Zenit are designing and manufacturing M lenses, can we also expect some Zenit 'L' lenses in future?

Any reason why Zenit should not sign up and join the 'L Mount Alliance'?

dunk

I doubt that Shvabe/KMZ is able to manufacture the autofocus lenses, without a lot of technical assistance from the experienced companies at least. It’s not a coincidence that Zenit brand is being revived on the basis of the Leica-M, a manual focus camera, Russia does not have an access to the AF technology at the moment as far as I know.

I doubt that Shvabe/KMZ is able to manufacture the autofocus lenses, without a lot of technical assistance from the experienced companies at least. It’s not a coincidence that Zenit brand is being revived on the basis of the Leica-M, a manual focus camera, Russia does not have an access to the AF technology at the moment as far as I know.

One step at a time … licensing AF technology is not so complex as e.g. 'rocket science' :) 

dunk 

• Like 1

The Representative of Zenit said that they plan only the limited edition of the camera, only 500 numbered cameras will be manufactured by Leica.

Yevgeny

Apart from resurrecting the Zenit aesthetic, the great benefit of this product is that it clears 500 surplus M240 bodies from Leica’s stock and returns some capital to Leica.

It’s marketing genius, particularly when paired with the Zenitar lens: a sure way to sell 500 bodies that would otherwise have sat in a warehouse.

Edited by Distagon
  • Like 1

Apart from resurrecting the Zenit aesthetic, the great benefit of this product is that it clears 500 surplus M240 bodies from Leica’s stock and returns some capital to Leica.

It’s marketing genius, particularly when paired with the Zenitar lens: a sure way to sell 500 bodies that would otherwise have sat in a warehouse.

Will they be future, scarce, sought after, classic cameras and lenses? 

dunk 

What will surprise me is a shift from high contrast, russian and mij zeiss lenses, which also corresponds to reduced ability to render settle nuances in tone, especially mid and dark ones.

Corners look like an M5. Leica does not seem to give away its sought after round corners.

Leica must be preparing the best viewfinder on an M camera, and a 36mpx sensor, perhaps.

This russian camera will look old as soon as Leica comes out with the new stuff.

If price drops, it might be a good idea, but why buy this when you can buy a used Leica M?

Very nice idea from Leica. Let's see how much this make the price of used M240's drop down.

It makes happy stupid people like me that bought an original Leica's M 240.

Surely the price will be more than a good used 240, so I don't think it will have any impact. If there are only 500, most will go to collectors I guess.

134  posts here about it and not one has been sold and used yet...

Just my 2d worth, David

A gear forum like this would be an even duller place if you can only discuss products already available to buy.

I think tuppence was being a bit generous.

• Like 2

It’s available only early 2019

Hi,

That's what worries me...

The problem is that we have put comments on the internet and in a couple of years time people will be looking for info and opinions and won't notice that these threads were written before the camera was available. And then they'll spread it around and it will become a fact to a lot of people.

My experience of these things is that a prototype is made and tested and then changed a bit, then there's a small pre-production run and the assembly raises problems and maybe something changes and so on. Then the public get hold of them and start commenting and so it goes on and on. And once two people have managed to break something the reputation will be gone for good.

I've a lot of old cameras that I use and often see comments on them here and there that couldn't possibly be by someone who has used one. But that's the internet for you.

Regards, David

Edited by David Hughes
  • Like 1