WOW-only 200 of these lenses will be made!

algrove

Advertisement (gone after registration)

14 hours ago, patrickcolpron said:

Call it what you want, it is not sucking up. 

I have been a long time client for Leica and over the years I got to know some of the staff very well.

I love people who mostly buy occasionally, I don't know you, this generalization is not about you*, anyhoo I love people who occasionally make purchases then complain when other people get limited edition lenses. Or how hard Leica makes it to purchase some of their products.

If they don't know you - don't expect preferred treatment. If you do, that's silly.

Therein lies the difference, you are a well know “Client” of Leica Camera AG, I and many like me are just  users.

I’ve registered every Leica camera, lens and accessory with Leica over the past 20 years and I still have quite a holding of current equipment. I have never had any communication from Leica other than one I started.

So as you say, one must become pro-active in nurturing the relationship.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Relationships are best built with dealers, not with Leica, for most. Good dealers maintain a Leica connection as needed.

Jeff

This is the first time I heard about "relationship" to describe Leica users and dealers.

Last time I heard this non-sense is from Rolex forums. Rolex clients are systematically being gaslighted by the dealers to buy hundreds thousands dollars worth jewelries to build the "relationship" in order for them to just qualify to be on a waiting list to buy a Rolex watch, which may or may not be materialized in 2-5 years.

I can see Leica is very jealous about Rolex. Rolex is mass producing million watches, literally a million, every year, which are sold out before they get out of the door.

Leica has a long way to go.

Edited by Rollei35

46 minutes ago, Rollei35 said:

This is the first time I heard about "relationship" to describe Leica users and dealers.

Last time I heard this non-sense is from Rolex forums. Rolex clients are systematically being gaslighted by the dealers to buy hundreds thousands dollars worth jewelries to build the "relationship" in order for them to just qualify to be on a waiting list to buy a Rolex watch, which may or may not be materialized in 2-5 years.

I can see Leica is very jealous about Rolex. Rolex is mass producing million watches, literally a million, every year, which are sold out before they get out of the door.

Leica has a long way to go.

You must have some interesting personal relationships, given such dramatic  assumptions and requirements.  My experience having good business relationships with various Leica dealers for over 40 years has been far simpler.

Jeff

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 minutes ago, overexposed said:

First chinese seller is offering the lens for 122k usd

seems someone broke a contract

Or the seller know that if they can find someone to buy at that price they can find someone willing to break the contract for a price that still give them a profit. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jeff S said:

You must have some interesting personal relationships, given such dramatic  assumptions and requirements.  My experience having good business relationships with various Leica dealers for over 40 years has been far simpler.

Jeff

You must have very narrowed endeavour outside your personal relationship. I bet you have never ever walked into a Rolex dealer over the last 5 years.

Or you have never ever tried to acquire a Patek over the last decade.

I am not making this up. You go to any Rolex forums to see how people are crying being gaslighted by dealers. You are just extrapolating your Leica experience to any brand names.

Edited by Rollei35

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, overexposed said:

First chinese seller is offering the lens for 122k usd

seems someone broke a contract

If I had the lens, I would break the contract for a profit of 5K.

Who cares this kind of non-binding piece of s**t so called contract.

Edited by Rollei35

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Rollei35 said:

You must have very narrowed endeavour outside your personal relationship. I bet you have never ever walked into a Rolex dealer over the last 5 years.

Or you have never ever tried to acquire a Patek over the last decade.

I am not making this up. You go to any Rolex forums to see how people are crying being gaslighted by dealers. You are just extrapolating your Leica experience to any brand names.

My comments have nothing to do with watches or putting up with questionable dealer strategies. Rather they are about engaging in decent and consistent business interactions with trusted Leica dealers.  Easy to weed out others, in my experience.  

But since you mention watches, long before my dad passed, he gifted me his gold Patek, which he purchased on a 1960 vacation to Switzerland. No need for me to shop.  Never liked Rolexes; was more of an Audemars guy.  When I sent in a 30+ year old Royal Oak for servicing to the dealer I originally used, he offered to buy it from me instead, for a ridiculously high amount over purchase price. I guess it helps to stick with trusted dealers (and to maintain condition and documentation, much like with Leicas). 

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

I made my own one-sample-only-super-exclusive-limited-edition, way more "select" than Leica's 200 run even though I am not trying to compete 😆

An almost 60 years old early v2 pre-asph that I had converted to a "pseudo-steel-rim" fitted with an armoured, bullet proof UV filter :), the objective being to avoid the bulky "filter VII" hood while still protecting the fragile front element, whose coating is as soft as silk.

One thing though, I must find a way an engrave the aperture ring with my "personal limited number", in that case something like 001/001 😆 Just kidding of course

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rollei35 said:

I bet you have never ever walked into a Rolex dealer over the last 5 years.

I walked into an Official Rolex Retailer store in November and received my brand new watch in 45 days.

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, fil-m said:

I made my own one-sample-only-super-exclusive-limited-edition, way more "select" than Leica's 200 run even though I am not trying to compete 😆

An almost 60 years old early v2 pre-asph that I had converted to a "pseudo-steel-rim" fitted with an armoured, bullet proof UV filter :), the objective being to avoid the bulky "filter VII" hood while still protecting the fragile front element, whose coating is as soft as silk.

One thing though, I must find a way an engrave the aperture ring with my "personal limited number", in that case something like 001/001 😆 Just kidding of course

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I see you also adorned your camera with the black Leica logo from Etsy 😊.
The aperture ring can easily be engraved with a laser and then painted with white acrylic paint.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fil-m said:

...I must find a way an engrave the aperture ring with my "personal limited number", in that case something like 001/001...

I believe 007/007 is already taken...

Philip.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Al Brown said:

I see you also adorned your camera with the black Leica logo from Etsy 😊.
The aperture ring can easily be engraved with a laser and then painted with white acrylic paint.

Black logo from Etsy, indeed. Read about it somewhere in this forum :) 

Thanks for the info!

Interesting find, the black anodized version is 11300, while the older silver one is 11301

so they probably worked on the black version earlier

anyway, i just picked up mine from my local leica store, still cant convince myself to open the box 😇

vor 36 Minuten schrieb overexposed:

anyway, i just picked up mine from my local leica store, still cant convince myself to open the box 😇

You get one of these 200 here in Hamburg?
Maybe I can invite you for a coffee sometime (if you dared to open your box 😁)

2 minutes ago, Dzongkha said:

You get one of these 200 here in Hamburg?
Maybe I can invite you for a coffee sometime (if you dared to open your box 😁)

no i got in switzerland, where i live currently. if i ever have the courage to open it up, i will wait until my next hamburg visit and let you know ;)

• Like 1

vor 3 Minuten schrieb overexposed:

no i got in switzerland, where i live currently. if i ever have the courage to open it up, i will wait until my next hamburg visit and let you know ;)

I'm pretty curious!
I've been thinking about organizing an old 35mm & a Rigid and having them converted to black paint with red lettering at Kanto. 
But just for the design, it's also quite expensive. 
I just think it's a shame that something like this isn't available in series :(.

Anyways - I'm happy for you! Have fun with it and if you are ever in HH, please feel free to get in touch.

On 3/23/2024 at 10:15 AM, jaapv said:

You're behind times. It is  "King of Bollocks" nowadays

Spot on, Jaap. There is a lot of it about, particularly concerning buying cameras and lenses to make a profit. My advice is not to react like this when you get an offer that seems to be too good to be true. 

Ultimate value will be determined over a longer period, than just the few months after launch. J.M. Keynes when asked about the 'long run' said that the only thing certain about it was that we would all be dead. Over time, markets will determine what value collectors will put on scarce items. In my collection I have items which were made in much less numbers than 200 and, in some cases, they are the only one ever made. Scarcity alone is, however, not the ultimate determinant of value. In my experience it is scarcity and desirability together that drive prices up. Al's point about 'Limited' and 'Strictly Limited' is probably correct, but you are always taking a risk when buying anything to make a profit.  I have never sold any of my collection items. Early on I was advised by an experienced collector to buy what I liked and I have followed his advice. Many of the items in my collection are today worth considerably more than what I paid for them, but I have never bought on the basis of making a profit. 

The selling to a trusted customer thing is a well known ploy that is used in the luxury goods market e.g. Ferrari cars that are sold to existing customers and are all sold out by the launch date. I was not offered one of these lenses and my collecting relates to early eras of the Leitz/Leica company anyway. Stefan Daniel did allow me to use his copy of the chrome version of this lens about a week before the actual launch, though. 

William