WOW-only 200 of these lenses will be made!

algrove

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The physical appearance of the silver-chromed-brass Re-Edition Steel Rim Summilux 35 was a factor in my purchasing decision. I like silver-chromed lenses on my black-chromed Leica cameras, but, am glad for those who successfully pursue their black edition/variant. 

Ultimately, I simply wanted to add a “fast” 35mm lens with a vintage, non-ASPH optical rendering, and the official Leica USA price was within my budget, at a price nicely lower than the Summilux FLE. I am grateful that Leica chose to price the silver-chromed Re-Edition relatively reasonably.

Edited by RexGig0

3 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

The world needs a few good wars to sort all of this out - sort of a worldwide Super Bowl of the various Kings:

King of Europe.
King of Bokeh.
King of Bollocks.

Be careful what you wish for, doesnt look good lately

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, patrickcolpron said:

Except that's ill informed in this case, not all editions have other batches when demand surpasses the product run. 

Sorry, what is ill informed? I do not understand what you are trying to say?

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

Sorry, what is ill informed? I do not understand what you are trying to say?

You seem to imply Leica will make more of this batch because "Once you have this Leica terminology in your system, you understand their (intentional) modus operandi very clearly."

Leica limited batches are equal, some are just more equal than others. You will not see another one of these black Steel Rim outside the 200, they are in fact numbered.

I wouldn't even try to pretend I understand Leica's modus operandi, I have zero clue, no matter what people say or what I read online - all I know is that they are very good at selling different versions and variations of the same product.

Isn't it part of the appeal, and ... would it be as appealing knowing a limited batch to be in fact unlimited? 

I believe, and that's just my experienced opinion*, Leica knows their customers and target market very very well. 

But what do I know... I am just an Instagram Food Influencer :) 

*and you know what they say about opinions, they a little like a-holes, everyone has one ;) 

Edited by patrickcolpron
P.S.: Maybe it's me who failed to understand what you were trying to say... according to my wife I'm an idiot *shrug*

5 minutes ago, patrickcolpron said:

Leica limited batches are equal, some are just more equal than others. You will not see another one of these black Steel Rim outside the 200, they are in fact numbered.

But then they discover another way to make a variant and bingo, you have another limited edition. Personally I think if Leica intend to make it so difficult for me to buy one (should the decadence of the whole concept appeal to me) they can stuff it where the sun doesn’t shine.

27 minutes ago, patrickcolpron said:

You seem to imply Leica will make more of this batch because "Once you have this Leica terminology in your system, you understand their (intentional) modus operandi very clearly."

I do not imply anything, you are wrongfully presuming and putting your words in my mouth. My sentence means they intend to put out limited and strictly limited editions in this pace in good will and keep the numbers as described.
Side note: history has shown that even their strictly limited numbered unit count was occasionally surpassed (use case: Leica M4-P 1913-1983 70 years with numbers higher than 500 per letter).

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

36 minutes ago, 250swb said:

But then they discover another way to make a variant and bingo, you have another limited edition. Personally I think if Leica intend to make it so difficult for me to buy one (should the decadence of the whole concept appeal to me) they can stuff it where the sun doesn’t shine.

That dead horse keeps being beaten to no end. It needs to be put to rest.

It is a choice and I respect it, or you could develop a relationship with a brand you appreciate - over time they get to know you and what you want, you'd surely get priority access to these "limited edition" special lenses.

When I say Leica knows their customers, it is because I talk to Leica's staff about the lenses I want, i.e. knowing Leica, there will be a limited edition of this lens in black, when it comes and I'd like one. Just like they did with the Summaron 5.6 black and the 50/1.2 Chrome, there is a limited black version of it. Where I come from, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I told them 4 times since the release of the Steel Rim reissue, I wanted a black Steel Rim when it came. 

I was offered the lens first, a week or two before it was even announced. I decided not to buy it a day after seeing it. I think for me, it was the wiser choice, wise choice even when I really wanted it. 

Regarding the high price of the special edition, I may not agree with it, but I am not in charge of Leica's pricing structure. It is the law of the jungle, he who wants the fruit must climb the tree first, Leica not only knows its customers and clients, Leica knows how much they are willing to pay to have those bragging rights. I am more into the end results, the photos I make with what I have than I am into the bragging side of it all... I don't baby my stuff. 

To be blunt I would have much preferred to have the choice or either a black or a chrome version of the Steel Rim from the get go, at 4K I would surely have purchased one of each. Sadly, it is not how Leica works but at €9995, more than double the price of the silver version it didn't make any real sense to me and I still almost made the decision to buy it.

They don't sell that many €4000 euros lens, it would be financially irresponsible to offer it in the colors of the rainbow, but... Shueido camera can help you with that. The husband of a friend of my wife customise Mercedes cars, makes custom modifications Mercedes doesn't do themselves, and even Mercedes sends him customers... All of this to say to every problem there is a solution. 

Or... or, you can decide you really had 'nuff of this and move on to Fujifilm* cameras. One can always decide to throw the baby out with the bath water... to each his own. 

And there might be something to that because every time I stopped buying a given brand for x-reason, I always discovered there was a better product and a better customer experience elsewhere. Pixii makes an m-mount, a modern digital range finder... I only have heard good things from them, who knows where one will find happiness. 

*insert any brand other than Leica you prefer here

Edited by patrickcolpron
P.S.: Too damn long but I hope this makes sense

9 minutes ago, patrickcolpron said:

I told them 4 times since the release of the Steel Rim reissue, I wanted a black Steel Rim when it came. 

I was offered the lens first, a week or two before it was even announced. I decided not to buy it a day after seeing it.

I can imagine how utterly dissapointed Leica's staff was when you declined the purchase as they practically made this lens just for you. You must have broken their red dot hearts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, patrickcolpron said:

That dead horse keeps being beaten to no end. It needs to be put to rest.

It is a choice and I respect it, or you could develop a relationship with a brand you appreciate - over time they get to know you and what you want, you'd surely get priority access to these "limited edition" special lenses.

When I say Leica knows their customers, it is because I talk to Leica's staff about the lenses I want, i.e. knowing Leica, there will be a limited edition of this lens in black, when it comes and I'd like one. Just like they did with the Summaron 5.6 black and the 50/1.2 Chrome, there is a limited black version of it. Where I come from, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I told them 4 times since the release of the Steel Rim reissue, I wanted a black Steel Rim when it came. 

I was offered the lens first, a week or two before it was even announced. I decided not to buy it a day after seeing it. I think for me, it was the wiser choice, wise choice even when I really wanted it. 

Regarding the high price of the special edition, I may not agree with it, but I am not in charge of Leica's pricing structure. It is the law of the jungle, he who wants the fruit must climb the tree first, Leica not only knows its customers and clients, Leica knows how much they are willing to pay to have those bragging rights. I am more into the end results, the photos I make with what I have than I am into the bragging side of it all... I don't baby my stuff. 

To be blunt I would have much preferred to have the choice or either a black or a chrome version of the Steel Rim from the get go, at 4K I would surely have purchased one of each. Sadly, it is not how Leica works but at €9995, more than double the price of the silver version it didn't make any real sense to me and I still almost made the decision to buy it.

They don't sell that many €4000 euros lens, it would be financially irresponsible to offer it in the colors of the rainbow, but... Shueido camera can help you with that. The husband of a friend of my wife customise Mercedes cars, makes custom modifications Mercedes doesn't do themselves, and even Mercedes sends him customers... All of this to say to every problem there is a solution. 

Or... or, you can decide you really had 'nuff of this and move on to Fujifilm* cameras. One can always decide to throw the baby out with the bath water... to each his own. 

And there might be something to that because every time I stopped buying a given brand for x-reason, I always discovered there was a better product and a better customer experience elsewhere. Pixii makes an m-mount, a modern digital range finder... I only have heard good things from them, who knows where one will find happiness. 

*insert any brand other than Leica you prefer here

I don’t agree with having to suck up to any company by ‘developing a relationship’ to buy something, that makes you in their employ while charging you for the ‘privilege’ of getting a steel rim. Never heard anything so pathetic except for Ferrari owners who also embrace this form of bending over to get one.

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, 250swb said:

I don’t agree with having to suck up to any company by ‘developing a relationship’ to buy something, that makes you in their employ while charging you for the ‘privilege’ of getting a steel rim. Never heard anything so pathetic except for Ferrari owners who also embrace this form of bending over to get one.

Call it what you want, it is not sucking up. 

I have been a long time client for Leica and over the years I got to know some of the staff very well.

I love people who mostly buy occasionally, I don't know you, this generalization is not about you*, anyhoo I love people who occasionally make purchases then complain when other people get limited edition lenses. Or how hard Leica makes it to purchase some of their products.

If they don't know you - don't expect preferred treatment. If you do, that's silly.

I don't agree or appreciate a chrome only version and a limited black edition, not even black paint at that. I'd rather Leica leave the choice of finish to the customer, me. But, they are building a brand, which keeps a high resale value. 

What I hear here is exactly the same complaints and arguments found on Rolex and Porsche forums, would you like some cheese with that whine? 

I also don't like the fact it is hard to get black paint versions of modern Digital M cameras, and lenses. Now if want to make sure you get a Black Paint M11, contact a Leica store soon, surely an M11 black paint is coming. Just like there was a black paint M10, or...

... or you can complain about how impossible Leica makes it to get these limited edition items after the fact, of course that's always easier. 

I certainly don't suck up to Leica and I know for a fact some people at Leica really don't like me at all because I have no qualms critiquing openly their bad products and design choices.

So not only my wife would tell you I am an idiot, she'd also tell you I am jerk, my wife is always right.

This is not here or there, you don't know me but are so quick to judge. That says more about you than it says about me. Anyhoo... 'nuff of this.

My father taught me well, he told me never to argue with people who are quick to judge. Just tell them they are absolutely right and move on. 

You are obviously 100% right in your assessment :)  

* if the hat fits... ;) 

57 minutes ago, patrickcolpron said:

It is the law of the jungle, he who wants the fruit must climb the tree first, Leica not only knows its customers and clients, Leica knows how much they are willing to pay to have those bragging rights.

Leica take their customers for monkeys?

The problem with this 35 1.4 SR reissue black version (IMO) is not that it's expensive, it's that Leica chose the most common finish offered by every lens maker on the planet, which is anodized black.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, patrickcolpron said:

I certainly don't suck up to Leica and I know for a fact some people at Leica really don't like me at all because I have no qualms critiquing openly their bad products and design choices.

You think that people at Leica don't like you, how high up in the company would that be for them to take notice and worry about your opinion? 

The anodized aluminum reissue is clearly much cheaper to produce than the current 35 1.4 FLE design, so I could see Leica making a follow-up version also black anodized but without the stainless ring. Price it almost as much but more widely available. Would be a good profit...

On 3/22/2024 at 11:57 PM, algrove said:

The Steel Rim reissue in black will be sold at USD10,495 with just 200 copies made period. Talk about rare for the future of this lens.

If the sales prices of the black 28/5.6 lens are any indication, will this lens could also go up by a factor of 2-5 within a few years.

Given an opportunity would you own this lens?