M Camera made by Zenit

Leon_B.

Ditto - my very first 35mm camera was a Zenit B too. Was considering this too, but nostalgia ain't worth the price here, not for 24MP anyway. And if we're up in Leica-price-land, then what's so bad about a "real" Leica instead?

This present strategy would be like pricing the Panaleicas the same in both the Leica and the LUMIX variants. Mebbe this might work for a very few rich Russian patriots, but for us Leica-nuts? Dunno, but not for this nut!

A 500 unit limited run doesn't appears to be big news to me..... The idea of providing a second source for a reasonably priced digital rangefinder could be interesting. The Fuji X100 with its retro RF flavour seems to have quite a following, for example. In this particular case, even if KMZ was to produce more Zenits, Leica would make sure there would not eat into their profits, the M240 is still on sale by Leica, for example. A reasonably priced, KMZ-built, 240 would surely eat away a sizeable part of the Leica market for M mount cameras. These could became something like the original Leica CL, which was axed as its reasonable price ate away from pricier M mounts in the Leica range. The mentioned cost of 5-6k euros would make sense as it would still be a niche item and, most probably, a serious user would opt to buy Leica. A 2k euros, good quality Zenit could crash the M mount market as it would be competitive even against the 2nd hand market.... hitting the residual values of used gear. So I doubt Leica's partnership would allow for such "!ow" prices for any product being backed by them, unless they plan to exit the said market.

Edited by glmm2001
  • Like 1

6 bit coding is for 'wusses'. I am sure that the Russian Rig will be for 'real men'. 

William

You might be right, Yer great bánánach, :D but I was more wondering how close the relationship is and whether Leica would allow Krasnogorsky to use its vigorously protected six-bit coding system to apply similar adjustments to Kragnogorsky's lenses.

Pete.

• Like 3

I am fully behind the partnering with Panasonic and Sigma and think that was a brilliant move.

The only reason I can think of that led to this Zenit M240 is:  Leica way over estimated how many M240 bodies they would sell and they have a cache of M shells sitting in some storage facility somewhere and needed to get rid of them. Whoops.

Do any of you think this is a good idea and if so, why?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am fully behind the partnering with Panasonic and Sigma and think that was a brilliant move.

The only reason I can think of that led to this Zenit M240 is:  Leica way over estimated how many M240 bodies they would sell and they have a cache of M shells sitting in some storage facility somewhere and needed to get rid of them. Whoops.

The Zenit body is not quite the same as M240.

• Like 2

Good idea with some variations… :) .."... they have a cache of M240 RF assemblies and a big supply of M240 sensors (or big commitment with the supplier) : but this is not in accord with the 500 items limited edition… :huh:

Great news, anyway… by the least another, collateral way to keep around Leica name and brand… ;) ...let's wait another move direction China…

. Is it just me, or does it look more like a Digilux2 than like a M240?

My first reaction to the picture was "ehi, a slimmed Digilux 3 !" … and as a buyer of a Zorky 4 (1975...) … its style has nothing to share with (and Zenit… had a prism, iirc…)

Odd placement of the f/stop ring in the 35/1.. but is very intriguing that "The lens creates an image that doesn't require processing"  (a feature unique in the market… :p… expecially considering that the camera is "made for shooting under various conditions".)

Edited by luigi bertolotti

I get a used mint 240 for a around 3.000€ and for 2.300€ a 35mm f1.4 ASPH. Then I have the original, with support in town and a very good resale value. I don´t get the concept of the Zenith. 

+1 almost, I would take a used mint M-P 240. Already have enough usable lenses.

My first reaction to the picture was "ehi, a slimmed Digilux 3 !" … and as a buyer of a Zorky 4 (1975...) … its style has nothing to share with (and Zenit… had a prism, iirc…)

Odd placement of the f/stop ring in the 35/1.. but is very intriguing that "The lens creates an image that doesn't require processing"  (a feature unique in the market… :p… expecially considering that the camera is "made for shooting under various conditions".)

Yes, I stumbled over that errmm.. unusual statement as well. Maybe they simply mean that there are no digital corrections in the design.

it is very intriguing that "The lens creates an image that doesn't require processing"

Another way of expressing the same is, "post processing is hopeless". Note their claim of soft focus/image.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

Why’s is the f ring in an odd place?

Doesn’t Zeiss put them in the back?

Let's make sure we are talking reality, here.

1) Basically a Leica M240, assembled in Wetzlar by Leica, That happens to have a different metal "skin" designed by Zorki. But probably machined by Uwe Weller Feinwerktechnik (Leitz-Park 3). right alongside M10/240/C parts.

2) well, actually, an M-P (sort of) since it has no red dot. ;)

3) Kit includes the 35 f/1.0.

4) Therefore the price comparison should be against - an M-P (typ240), with an included Leica 35mm 1:1 Noctilux-M ASPH.  Figure the Leica lens alone will run 13,000 £/€/$, if such ever appears, and add M-P price, and you are probably bumping up against 17,000-19,000 £/€/$.

Zenit gets to promote their optics, while Leica unloads 500 of their remaining M240 "cores" without having to come up with, say, a "100 Jahr: Ende der Erste Weltkrieg" special edition. ;)

• Like 6