WOW-only 200 of these lenses will be made!

algrove

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Steel Rim reissue in black will be sold at USD10,495 with just 200 copies made period. Talk about rare for the future of this lens.

If the sales prices of the black 28/5.6 lens are any indication, will this lens could also go up by a factor of 2-5 within a few years.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Summilux 50 ASPH E43 black chrome version was made 500 pieces only, and now it's still widely available being sold lower than regular 'Lux.

Could it also be an indication to the fate of this SR 'Lux black paint?

Edited by Rollei35
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, algrove said:

Interesting comment.  Must research.

sorry, I mis-typed, its Summilux 50 black chrome, limited 500 pieces.

I can get it brand new for US$ 4000, almost same as the regular version

Just now, Rollei35 said:

sorry, I mis-typed, its Summilux 50 black chrome, limited 500 pieces.

I can get it brand new for US$ 4000, almost same as the regular version

You are talking about an entirely different animal. This 35/1.4 is considered the "King of Bokeh"

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, algrove said:

You are talking about an entirely different animal. This 35/1.4 is considered the "King of Bokeh"

First of all, this 35/1.4 is not a king of bokeh. The so called king of bokeh is summicron 35 f/2 v4.

This 'Lux has never been crowned as any kind of kings. Don't automatically assume the f1.4 is more imperial than f2.

Leica world has some weird traditions, and I personally don't understand why 35 f/2 v4 is crowned as king.

Secondly, this is the not point we are debating here. You are talking about rarity of limited edition. I counter-argued that limited edition doesn't always lead to price appreciation.

Edited by Rollei35
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

45 minutes ago, Rollei35 said:

First of all, this 35/1.4 is not a king of bokeh. The so called king of bokeh is summicron 35 f/2 v4.

This 'Lux has never been crowned as any kind of kings. Don't automatically assume the f1.4 is more imperial than f2.

Leica world has some weird traditions, and I personally don't understand why 35 f/2 v4 is crowned as king.

Secondly, this is the not point we are debating here. You are talking about rarity of limited edition. I counter-argued that limited edition doesn't always lead to price appreciation.

Only time will tell.

49 minutes ago, Rollei35 said:

BTW I did not come up with the King of Bokeh comment since it is now mentioned on the Leica USA site under the SR chrome 35/1.4.

Are you saying Leica is wrong?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, algrove said:

BTW I did not come up with the King of Bokeh comment since it is now mentioned on the Leica USA site under the SR chrome 35/1.4.

The Summicron-M 35mm Version IV was dubbed the “King of Bokeh” by a blogger, who has since withdrawn that title. In spite of his withdrawal of the title, sellers continue to market their second-hand copies of this lens as the “KOB/King of Bokeh.” Leica’s promotional literature, at the time of the Re-Edition Steel Rim Summilux 35mm lens, mentioned was that the Steel Rim Re-Edition was the “True King of Bokeh.”

As I see it, bokeh is very subjective, so, anything being the “king” of such a feature is not going to resonate with everyone.

Edited by RexGig0
  • Thanks 2

Just now, RexGig0 said:

The Summicron-M 35mm Vesion IV was dubbed the “King of Bokeh” by a blogger, who has since withdrawn that title. Leica’s promotional literature, at the time of the Re-Edition Steel Rim Summilux 35mm lens, was that it was the “True King of Bokeh.” As I see it, bokeh is very subjective, so, anything being the “king” of such a feature is not going to resonate with everyone.

Thanks. Another reason not to believe bloggers.🤮

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, algrove said:

Who cares what leica USA said. Their marketing team couldn't even put a close double quotation there.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Rollei35 said:

Who cares what leica USA said. Their marketing team couldn't even put a close double quotation there.

Wow are you bitter. Actually Germany has it listed the same way.

Edited by algrove

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, algrove said:

Wow are you bitter. Actually Germany has it listed the same way.

So you think pointing out an obvious grammar error is bitter? Not even mentioning the "king of bokeh" has long been "awarded" to another lens.

If you want to talk about bokeh. Lux 50 has more bokeh. Why does that black chrome E43 sell like a s**t, even though it's 500 limited pieces.

Our conversation came to an end. You never get to a point.

By the way, you can watch a YouTuber from Australia, he is a Chinese dude living in Australia. A few years ago he made this video claiming 'Lux 50 E43 is so nice looking with red marks and he claimed it would go up 2-3 folds in just about a few year. Right now, what happened? You can find a brand new one same price, and a mint used one for 20% discount.

Edited by Rollei35

2 minutes ago, 69xchange said:

Sorry, the cron IV “KoB” is just named after a blogger. The original steel rim is the true KoB. Images that the original SR produces talks for themselves. 

Whoever is the king is not the point here. The point is limited edition doesn't necessarily translate to price appreciation.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Rollei35 said:

Whoever is the king is not the point here. The point is limited edition doesn't necessarily translate to price appreciation.

That is true, black chrome doesn’t really attract collectors as much as brass black paint. Thought that Leica would know that by now as there are many black paint books on the market, but no black chrome book?

Edited by 69xchange

2 hours ago, Rollei35 said:

Summilux 50 ASPH E43 black chrome version was made 500 pieces only, and now it's still widely available being sold lower than regular 'Lux.

Could it also be an indication to the fate of this SR 'Lux black paint?

It was not limited to 500 copies. Way more was sold and it wasn't numbered either. You can still buy that lens new in some leica stores

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Jacobjuul said:

It was not limited to 500 copies. Way more was sold and it wasn't numbered either. You can still buy that lens new in some leica stores

I am aware more than 500 was made. At least they said they would make 500 only in the first place. But they lied.

You believe they won't lie about this 200 piece SR black paint? Numbering doesn't matter, they can come out with batch 2, another 200 pieces, and then batch 3, so on...

Edited by Rollei35

3 minutes ago, Rollei35 said:

I am aware more than 500 was made. At least they said they would make 500 only in the first place. But they lied.

You believe they won't lie about this 200 piece SR black paint? Numbering doesn't matter, they can come out with batch 2, another 200 pieces, and then batch 3, so on...

There has been no previous case like that that I know of. I don't think they said 500 at any point, I think that was a miscommunication from leica-rumors etc