Type 240MP vs M10

Vroon

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Compare the v2 Cron to the 28 Lux. I did and so glad I bought the Cron instead. Smoother tones, less contrast, richer colours and the background at f/2 is less busy than the Lux. You will get better separation from background with the 35 or 50 Lux than a 28 Lux. If you must have 28 mm, check out the v2 Cron. It’s one of Leica’s very best.

• Like 2

I own, ( amongst other Leica "stuff " ), both the cameras you are considering, the M240 and the M10 neither of which are the P version.

For your stated needs I feel that a good used / Leica warranted M240, M240P would work very well, couple that with a Summicron 35 and maybe even the truly excellent 28mm Elmarit 2.8 then you're away!

The only real difference I have found between the M240 and the M10 is the size of the M10 which admittedly I do like a lot but everything else is pretty much the same as far as the quality of the images. Sure I know the M10 holds up better in the higher ISO's, but honestly I have found few occasions to go above 3200 with either camera.........and if you do, and you're interested in "street" photography and you convert the images to black and white then you'll get a very good simulation of TriX and there's nothing wrong with that at all!

Keep your lenses small, the Summicrons are so much better balanced on the M's than the Summilux's in my experience......and by all means try out Voigtlander's offerings for the M's, they work extremely well for the type of photography you say interests you and you can save a great deal of money too.

Good luck! 

For street and available light the M10 has important advantages over the M240:

- better viewfinder works fast and more reliable, which means less out of focus shots. Do you wear glasses? M10 viewfinder is better for you.

- 2 stops more ISO makes a Summilux less urgent, which is a lot of money too.

So I would indulge myself with a Mandler lens, a Summicron, on an M10, the most developed and thought through digital M there is. For instance a good copy of the Summicron 35 iv. You’ve got a nice, lightweight, quick, handy little system then. Summiluxes are bulky and mostly a bit specialized, start with a general purpose lens.

Edited by otto.f

I'd say go for the M10.  I have the M240 (which I am looking to sell) and never quite bonded with it as I did with my M9 (which is in for sensor replacement) because I found the images rendered like almost any other high-end digital camera - high quality but, lack character.  Like the M9, the M10 has an image characteristic which I really love and it has superb high ISO characteristics - you can bump it up to ISO 800 with no fear

I'd say go for the M10.  I have the M240 (which I am looking to sell) and never quite bonded with it as I did with my M9 (which is in for sensor replacement) because I found the images rendered like almost any other high-end digital camera - high quality but, lack character.  Like the M9, the M10 has an image characteristic which I really love and it has superb high ISO characteristics - you can bump it up to ISO 800 with no fear

Aliturk,

I'm curious here, just curious if you can say more about the superiority of M10 over M240.

In my opinion as user of M240 and M262 (+ M-D) as well as 18 months of M10, with same lens used I can not differentiate them ( to about 3200 ISO).

For me, they share same sensor with a bit different software in M 240/262/10.

Please point me where to look for the image characteristic of M10 which you love, while M240 lack character.

Don't blame me if so far I'm "blind" to what is "seen by you".

Please see my post #6 in this thread.

As side note, in my experience, my M262 push "red" in photo more than the other (M240/10), but when PP to my taste, that is nice.

Best regards,

Arnaud

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

Simon,

Each type of digital Leica M may have it's own character (or rendering).

When one uses only one type of those, he would not be aware of that character.

In my use, M10 IS different from M240 which IS different from M262 or M-D.

But the best thing in that : none is better than the other M.

My conclusion is always the same: take one then see by yourself if it suits you.

For me, it's more productive (fun) to really use one than "waiting/discussing/projecting" for one.

M10 if you can afford or another M is fine also if good lens* is the kit.

Just do it.

* all leica lenses are GOOD for first lens :p

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

If I were buying today I would choose an M10 (certified pre-owned or demo) over a used M240 without warranty, because one repair could level the cost.  However I have opted not to upgrade from the 240 unless it breaks and the cost to repair is uneconomical.  It's all the camera I need, and having used an M10 I don't find any of its improvements compelling for me.  I thought I would love the thinner body but I'm so used to the thicker one now that I don't consider it worth the cost of upgrade.  Ditto the viewfinder, and I wear glasses while shooting.   As far as high ISO performance goes, compared to pedestrian DSLRs costing far less, the M10 is laughingly behind the curve, as all Leicas have been from the M8 onward.  If I were buying a camera with high ISO low-light shooting as a major criterion, I wouldn't be looking at any M.

Edited by bocaburger
  • Like 2

Seems to me that there is gear fever on this forum. Spending thousands of pounds / Euro for a maringal improvement is less important than just getting out there and shooting. My X100S does quite a nice job, and in the hands of Cartier-Bresson ....who knows.

I have an MP240 and I was able to use the M10P for a few hours over the weekend. My feeling was that even though it was a very nice camera, for me, the upgrades were not significant enough to switch to the M10. 

I liked the thinner body and the ISO dial was something I used more than I thought I would, but I didn't feel there was enough improvement in the higher ISO's to want to upgrade. And though the viewfinder was better, I have never felt the M240's lacking. 

I was very impressed with the newer EVF, this was something I really felt was a giant step up. I use mine for wider angles like the 21mm Super Elmar and this was a joy to use compared to the EVF2 on the M240. 

So I decided to not upgrade at this time. I love my MP240 and would prefer right now to spend the "saved" money on a new lens or trip to take more photos. :)

Hope this helps,

Mike 

• Like 2

Seems to me that there is gear fever on this forum. Spending thousands of pounds / Euro for a maringal improvement is less important than just getting out there and shooting. 

A wander around the various image threads on this forum tends to leave a significantly different impression, IMO. Presumably that level of activity suggests that many here actually do spend significant amounts of time practicing what we preach. In my own case, LR reports 10K+ Leica actuations so far this year.

• Like 1

Compare the v2 Cron to the 28 Lux. I did and so glad I bought the Cron instead. Smoother tones, less contrast, richer colours and the background at f/2 is less busy than the Lux. You will get better separation from background with the 35 or 50 Lux than a 28 Lux. If you must have 28 mm, check out the v2 Cron. It’s one of Leica’s very best.

The 28 Lux is better at every aperture. The only advantages of the 28 Cron in my opinion are size and cost. This bodes true for the V1 28 cron and V2 28 cron. 

The smoother tones and richer colors is not factual. The 28 Cron has less contrast, I'll give you that.

I own the 28 Lux and had the 28 Cron V2 for a while. I also have had at least 3 copies of the 28 Cron V1 FWIW.