Black Leicaflex Standard Type 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

My first Leica R series camera. I picked this up the other day and am very excited to use it! I sent it to DAG camera repair and it should be in my hands next week! Don is doing a complete overhaul on the camera, plus modifying the metering system to accept a modern battery.

What can you tell me about this camera?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 12/24/2020 at 10:28 PM, andrew01 said:

The black ones are quite rare apparently.  Perhaps you picked up a bargain?

https://www.meister-camera.com/en/second-hand/7236/leicaflex-ii-black-paint

The silver ones can be had for about 100 Euros.  

Different signs of use in the Meister's item... 😉

• Like 1

On 12/20/2020 at 4:23 AM, Shutterspeedblog said:

My first Leica R series camera. I picked this up the other day and am very excited to use it! I sent it to DAG camera repair and it should be in my hands next week! Don is doing a complete overhaul on the camera, plus modifying the metering system to accept a modern battery.

What can you tell me about this camera?

I also had a black paint Leicaflex that I used quite a lot - less than the SL2 -, a silver and a black chrome as well. I definitely preferred my Leicaflexes to the following R3, 4... 

• Like 3

For illustration the two model and respective, but different lenses

• Like 3

I also favor the black paint Leicaflex standard camera. I guess it wasn't called the standard until after the introduction of the SL and SL2 upgrades. The earliest black cameras of the "PIE" counter type begin at 1084001, this  could be some time after the chrome Leicaflex introduction at 1080001. I have recorded 35+ black paint "PIE"'s all are contained within 1084xxx. There are other differences besides the counter, such as the tripod mount and other parts. I cannot find catalogs or price lists that show the availability of the black Leicaflex until 1966/7. So, did Leitz start production with all chrome and then after a year or two make the black paint available? Or were the made in parallel? I am of the mind of the latter, perhaps someone again has detailed access to factoroy records.

The later "round" counter black paint leicaflexes are all within the later lot 1168xxx. Again, I have recorded over 30 in this lot all black and no chrome. I presume these cameras are from typically 1967/8.  Some authors report a total of 255 black leicaflexes produced. I find this number likely low, but have no proof without Wetzlar data.

As to the chrome reflex lenses, they are not common, but when were they made? The Summicron begins at 1940001 (1963/4) with a mixture of chrome and black lenses. Subsequent lots at 1999xxx, 2000xxx and even some in 2003 are again a mixture of chrome and black. As these are all early lots, I conclude that the chrome finish reflex lenses were made concurrent and early, with the introduction of the leicaflex camera. The chrome vs black early lenses are very random suggesting that lenses were pulled from brass parts and finished as needed or requested. Can someone advise if the raw metal parts are identical, or if there were slight differences to compensate for the differennt finish thickness? 

The 35 Elmarit reflex chrome lens follows a different pattern. Very early lots 1972001-100 and1995001-512 appear to be all chrome with no black occuring. Perhaps for the Elmarit, these specific lots were set aside for chrome production. Again, the very early numbers suggest the chrome Elmarit also was produced at the earliest time of the leicaflex camera. 

In general, the chrome lens would not have been shipped simultaneously with a black camera, as they are likely from a couple years apart ( my theory).  They still look great together. I have never recorded a chrome Elmarit 90 or 135 lenses, maybe Leitz worried about too much chrome causing reflections. The total number of chrome reflex lenses produced is unknown to me, again if someone could examine factory records we might learn more. If there are other detailed studies or exceptions please let me know. See photo below of my black Leicaflexes.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, alan mcfall said:

maybe Leitz worried about too much chrome causing reflections.

I heard many years ago that this was the reason all chrome Leicaflex lens production was stopped. The external meter reading was affected by refection in sunlight.

John

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for the added info on this camera. Just got it back from DAG and look forward to putting a roll of TRI-X through it.

I am that age that I have too many "Favorite" cameras and I am going to have to decide. Currently I have maybe 50 cameras and my favorites are:

• Nikon F (I have a 1959F, 1960F and a 1964 FTN)
  • Olympus OM-1
  • Canon FTB (believe it or not!) I have had almost all the Canon film SLRs and this one is awesome.
  • Zeiss Contarex
  • Leica IIIa and this black Leicaflex.

If I don't start selling them soon, my kids will sell them in an estate sale. Hahaha!

Jim

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

I have a Leicaflex Standard Black Mark 1 that belonged to my father in very good condition. I still take photos with this camera and have kept it for many years.

The battery cover  seems to be different than black, it seems like titanium color rather than black (but not silver). Perhaps it was replaced when it went to service. By any chance, would any of in the forum you have a black battery cover for this camera to sell?

It does not look that the original part. I have looked with DAG, Sherry Krauter, EBay unsuccesfully

Posted (edited)

I have a black SL that DAG overhauled for me a few years ago, including a resilvered prism block. Very, very underrated camera.

The SL viewfinder is excellent, although I prefer square corners. I think the SL2 corners are square

The build quality is impressive. Monikers like 'built like a tank' are tossed around a lot, but the SL delivers in spades. Apparently Leica lost money on every SL body they built.
If I remember correctly the shutter was rated to some insane number like 250k or 400k actuations. 

Despite the larger size, it feels like a Leica M to me with a mirror box grafted on the front. (I feel the same way about the original Nikon F and Nikon RF cameras). That may in part be due to the shutter, which looks and sounds a lot like what you find in an M.

The only weak spot of the camera is the cover plate on the front of the prism. It's held on with a ridiculous plastic contraption and because it doesn't seal very tightly it could be a potential ingress point for dust and moisture. I simply put some gaffers tape over it, although that probably wasn't the most elegant solution...

I primarily shot a 50 Summicron or Summilux on it.

Nice camera. 

Edited by thrid
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, thrid said:

I have a black SL that DAG overhauled for me a few years ago, including a resilvered prism block. Very, very underrated camera.

The SL viewfinder is excellent, although I prefer square corners. I think the SL2 corners are square

The build quality is impressive. Monikers like 'built like a tank' are tossed around a lot, but the SL delivers in spades. Apparently Leica lost money on every SL body they built.
If I remember correctly the shutter was rated to some insane number like 250k or 400k actuations. 

Despite the larger size, it feels like a Leica M to me with a mirror box grafted on the front. (I feel the same way about the original Nikon F and Nikon RF cameras). That may in part be due to the shutter, which looks and sounds a lot like what you find in an M.

The only weak spot of the camera is the cover plate on the front of the prism. It's held on with a ridiculous plastic contraption and because it doesn't seal very tightly it could be a potential ingress point for dust and moisture. I simply put some gaffers tape over it, although that probably wasn't the most elegant solution...

I primarily shot a 50 Summicron or Summilux on it.

Nice camera. 

I now have three chrome SL bodies. A black one would be nice.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2020 at 1:54 PM, Shutterspeedblog said:

Thank you everyone for the added info on this camera. Just got it back from DAG and look forward to putting a roll of TRI-X through it.

I am that age that I have too many "Favorite" cameras and I am going to have to decide. Currently I have maybe 50 cameras and my favorites are:

• Nikon F (I have a 1959F, 1960F and a 1964 FTN)

The original Nikon F may be my all-time favorite SLR and ties the M4 as one of my all-time favorite cameras.

The M2 / Nikon F3-P run a close second...

• Like 2