Nocti and the 75mm lux Image look compare

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Never mind, back in love again, any chance of a crop of both on the "skin test" Carsten?.

Pleeeeese!.:)

Here you are :) Noctilux first as usual. It wouldn't surprise me if stopping the Noctilux down to f/1.4 would even out the difference. I'll have to try that.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Never mind, back in love again, any chance of a crop of both on the "skin test" Carsten?.

Pleeeeese!.:)

Eoin, the 85 1.2L on a Canon ff camera has even less depth of field wide open than the Nocti at 1.0... so maybe it's the crop factor making the bokeh on the noctilux a little less even (and given what I've seen of f1.0 film shots with the Nocti, the M8 definitely has less Nocti f1.0 wildness).

Guest guy_mancuso

Just found a bunch of Nocti's in a row here all at ISO 320 . now I think I maybe stopped down a touch but nothing past 2.8

Guest guy_mancuso

Now here is where the Nocti takes a bath and that is the blown highlights you start getting sensor bloom and other ugly effects. Look at the lights . But i am also really blowing the exposure too , i was seing how far it would gather light and this is the side effect of maybe being two stops over.

i think the secret to the Nocti is watching exposure on night scenes because it will tend to get bright, keep a eye on distracting backgrounds and wide open it is low contrast. But it has some great qualities to it like shooting in the dark that you CAN get a image

Guest guy_mancuso

The first one the exposure is much better and the lights are normal looking , so with care as you can see what can happen between blowing the highlights and holding on to them.

But it can also be used as a normal lens when you stop down a touch like these images maybe at 2.8 or more . So it can be used differently given what you want. Third one is Woody.

Thanks for all the images!

I have one feeling which I would like to share:

My feeling is that if you shoot a very sharp lens (like the 50/1.4asph) wide open and with shallow DOF, the transition between the sahrp (focused) area and the unsharp areas will be more clear, harsher, and therefore focus is much more critical.

Now if you use a lens which might not be supersharp wide open (lets say the Noctilux at f1.2 since I think its soft at f1.0 but sharp at f1.4, still not as sharp as the Lux_asph) you might have a smoother transition.

So my theory: for shootinf a lens wide open and with shallow DOF it might an advantage if the lens is not supersharp.

Also slight missfocus will not jump to your eye as fast as it will with a 50asph or a 90asph

Any thoughts/ experience on that?

Regarding the Noctilux vs 75lux vs 50asph I find all three deliever a nice (for my taste) smooth bokeh on the M8. The bokeh I liked a little less is that of the Summicron 50.

cheers, Tom

Cheers, Tom

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Eoin, the 85 1.2L on a Canon ff camera has even less depth of field wide open than the Nocti at 1.0... so maybe it's the crop factor making the bokeh on the noctilux a little less even (and given what I've seen of f1.0 film shots with the Nocti, the M8 definitely has less Nocti f1.0 wildness).

Jamie, I shot the 85L on a 1DII so the crop is roughly the same v M8 (what's 0.07 between friends) and I tended to use it f:/2 -f:/4. Just an observation of the difference in smoother bokeh even compared to the 75 Lux.

Thanks for the "skin" Carsten, seems to also be a slight difference in colour as well or perhaps this is just PP?.

Jamie, I shot the 85L on a 1DII so the crop is roughly the same v M8 (what's 0.07 between friends) and I tended to use it f:/2 -f:/4. Just an observation of the difference in smoother bokeh even compared to the 75 Lux.

{snipped}

Eoin, well, then, there you go :) I personally think the only lens that has given me the same (or better) bokeh as that 85L (v1) is the 80R Lux, which is still one of my favourite lens. Though I have an old-ish 75 Lux and it's very good, too.

I haven't shot the Nocti stopped down enough to know anything about it, really. But since I ordered one, I guess we'll see.

Jamie, both you and I will see when ever our Noctiluxes arrive, LOL. Interesting you found the 85L bokeh hard to beat as well. It will be interesting to see how the Summarex performs when it arrives. I've heard a lot about the 80R, many seem to miss it who are now on M's.

I have a Nocti on loan right now, and just can't get used to it over my 50 Lux ASPH. I have been using it quite a bit for the last two weeks.

The nocti focuses perfectly at 1.0, and then 5.6 and smaller. At 1.4 - 4.0, it does have varying amounts of back focus at closer distances.

The nocti does have a very smooth transition to OOF and draws in a unique way that is SOMETIMES pleasing. The OOF is either beautiful or ugly. If there are no bright lights or any brighter reflections in the background it is very nice. When there are brighter lights or reflections in the background the weird circular shapes are very distracting to me.

Personally, I think the 50 Lux ASPH renders details and textures much better. I also believe that the 50 Lux handles varying light situations much better. The 50 Lux is not quite as smooth with the OOF as the Nocti, but it is still very pleasing in ALL situations.

The 50 Lux is sharper, but not clinically or disturbingly so.

From a quick handling standpoint, the 50 Lux wins without any doubts. It also has size and weight in its' corner.

For me the Nocti would only be 1.0 lens, because I prefer the 50 Lux ASPH at all other apetures. The Nocti can render a great photo, but is just too big/heavy and has quirky OOF rendering that you have to control.

I have enjoyed using the Nocti, but these two weeks have really broken me of my Nocti-Lust.

Just my $.02.

Ray

I went to the Technisches Museum yesterday, and used the Noctilux and 75 Summilux exclusively. Neither lens was all that great for this work, since in spite of their speed, the slight softness wide open (noticeably more for the Noctilux) doesn't flatter the machinery here. Here are two shots, the first from the Noctilux and the second from the 75 Summilux.

I am not sure what the ideal lens for this would be, since there is too little light to use something like the 90 Macro, but I will try the 50 Summilux ASPH when I get it back, as well as the 75 Summilux at f/2. If I had a 75 Summicron, that might be the perfect technical lens, for its sharpness and ability to move in close. I will have to try it one day.

If I had a 75 Summicron, that might be the perfect technical lens, for its sharpness and ability to move in close. I will have to try it one day.

Carsten,

You may be correct about the 75 Summicron. Although I haven't yet used it for technical applications, it is very sharp and, as you point out, has the close focussing ability as well. This isn't the best example, but was taken wide open inside a rather dark shoe repair shop, and you can see that it is capable of producing excellent detail.

Regards,

Tony C.

shoe4.jpg

At the risk of moving slightly off topic, my concern is the difficulty I'm having focusing my non-asph 75 lux on either of my M8 bodies. Three examples below (135 / 90 / 75) comparing the 75lux with the 90 cron and 135 apo telyt (all fully open). All on tripod and focusing as accurately as I can. It feels as it if might be backfocusing - but the others are really pretty good, so I don't think it's the body. I've included the full frame from the 75 to give you an idea of the scene - I find this backlit window-blind quite useful for checking focus...

Anyone with any experience comparing these longer lenses? I love the lux when I can nail it, but open I find it's really tough. Last shot says why - it's a portrait of my wife where for me the lens really sings ...

Grateful for any comments

Chris,

It looks to me as if the 75 is back focusing a tad. I think you probably need to take the usual 45º shot of the Nikon chart to be sure. If you are in the UK, Malcolm Taylor is an alternative to Solms, if you decide it needs tweaking. If you don't have and would like his contact details PM me and I will forward them.

Wilson

Carsten said: Holger, who is lending me the Noctilux, has ordered the 75 Cron, as his 30% lens. If no one posts anything before then, I am sure that either he or I or both of us will compare them when it arrives.

Carsten, I will be looking forward to that comparison. I'm sure that there are a lot of folks here who would be very interested to see how the lux compares to the cron at f/2 and stopped down. Thanks. Cindy

It is surprissing how few reviews of the Summilux 75mm have been published. Geoffrey Crawley didn't review it, and Erwin Puts only made comments included in the review reports of other lenses. The exact glass composition of this lens is unknown to me. There aren't detailed tests or comparative articles.

Portrait. Summilux 75mm wide open:

A link to a bigger copy:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/207/482477434_cf95af4c4b_b.jpg