Nocti and the 75mm lux Image look compare

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

While the 'ooh-ah' value of the Nocti is at its highest at f1, it's no slouch at smaller apertures. This photo was taken (I think) at f4 - or f5.6 max.

709141372_27ffd186c5_b.jpg

Here's a 100% crop from it:

709145966_9602049865_b.jpg

At f1, it is capable of delighting or frustrating, in equal measure. The OOF areas can be weird and distracting, or wonderfully painterly. Here's one where it went stark raving bonkers - and these were just normal Christmas lights...

709133512_c536ba5d35_b.jpg

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes a killer lens beyond f1.0 i agree .. but even if it is just as good as the 50 lux asph beyond f1.0 ....

I'm not suggesting it's on par with the 50 Lux beyond f:/1 infact I hope it's not. More like the 50 cron form about f:/5.6 I am reading elsewhere. What interests me is portraits and the way this lens draws from about f:/2 - f:/4. The 50 Lux Asph would just be to sharp at these apertures. I already have a 50 cron for standard 50 work, the nocti is I hope going to provide the "glow". As for focus, It can't be worse than the EF 85L,:)

I'm not suggesting it's on par with the 50 Lux beyond f:/1 infact I hope it's not. More like the 50 cron form about f:/5.6 I am reading elsewhere. What interests me is portraits and the way this lens draws from about f:/2 - f:/4. The 50 Lux Asph would just be to sharp at these apertures. I already have a 50 cron for standard 50 work, the nocti is I hope going to provide the "glow". As for focus, It can't be worse than the EF 85L,:)

Eoin,

The focus issue is worrying me on the Noctilux. I assume that Solms will have got mine right now. When I get it back, hopefully later this week if it passed final testing, will the M8 rangefinder be accurate enough in the mid ranges to cope with the DOF at f1.0. Will I need to lose my M8 for weeks to get its rangefinder accurately calibrated in the mid range? If I struggle, I will be very tempted reluctantly, to sell the Noctilux and my coded 50 Elmar and get a new 50 Summilux, as one lens which will nearly do both jobs.

Wilson

- The Nocti is also very sharp between f2 and f4 ... not as sharp as the 50 lux but nonetheless very sharp.... but it back-focusses bY design in that range

- For posed portraits, where the subject stands stilll .. the long focus-throw is not an issue ..

- the Nocti is significant smaller and lighter than the 85 1.2L ;)

I do not want to talk you out of the noctilux ...... it is a great lens ...... just wanted to add my experiences with it! I had the Nocti and the 75 lux together for quite some time and decided i just needed one fast lens for short dof effects .... i prefered the 75 lux for different reasons!

I hear what your saying Wilson and it's also a huge concern for me also. The nocti seems to show it's inaccuracy at the f stops I'm looking to use it at. It will either work straight out of the box or it will be straight back into the box and sent back for replacement not adjustment.

If it proves not to deliver the Glow I'm looking for, I guess I'll have to take a look at some older glass such as the Nikon Kogaku 8.5cm f:/2 or the Leica Summerax 85 f:/1.5. Both chrome and very heavy lenses. So here is hoping that you get you one back in PWO and I get mine soon. Jessica said about 4 weeks, 6 weeks ago (sigh) after the 8 week delivery went past due. Damn frustrating when I've been counting down the weeks on the wall planer.LOL

.....I do not want to talk you out of the noctilux ...... it is a great lens ...... just wanted to add my experiences with it! I had the Nocti and the 75 lux together for quite some time and decided i just needed one fast lens for short dof effects .... i prefered the 75 lux for different reasons!

Thanks!, I do genuinely value the opinion. I just have a path to follow to quench the internal questioning in my own mind. I did buy the 75 cron when I should have listened to my heart at that time and gone with the lux. But we live to learn as they say! and I learned the 50 is a slightly better FL for what I want to do and the 50 lux and 75 cron share a very similar design and I suspect the look is very similar too. Thanks again

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Summilux 75mm at f/1.4

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Stopped down to f5.6 or f8:

as you know i'm selling off my kit, but the 75 lux open or f2 is creamy delicious but plenty sharp, stopped down it is crisp and contrasty closer to the cron simply an amazing lens.

1/2 stop down

bill vann

Just when I think I have all the lenses I really need, along comes Guy with a post like this. I sit there quite content with what I have and then read about creamy background, nice bokeh, great sharpness stopped down a few stops from wide open, and I start thinking about new stuff. My wife is terrific about all this, but there is an absolute limit to what I can do. If I mention I have seen or heard about a new lens, she will look at me and say "breaking the news?".

I agree. YOu guys are killing me. In a fit of discipline, I tore up the 30% voucher, as a new camera, 50 cron, TE, 28 2.8, and 15 CV seemed like enough for this year.

Now.... all this. Gee, 75/2, 75 lux, Nocti, 50 lux, 35 lux, 90 macro, where does a person stop?

These are such wonderful images. Please post more (don't).

Geoff G

Guest malland

Very easy to stop: first just remember that the the proportion of good pictures you get is inversely related to the number of lenses that you carry; second, shooting portraits at wide apertures to blur out the background and to isolate the subject is hugely overdone to become a cliche. I'm begining to like shooting with huge DOF:

678209809_05a5fd93db_o.jpg

I have the Noctilux and the 75 Summilux but they are both too heavy and the focus throw is so long that it's extremely difficult to focus on a moving subject. With the Noctilux I generelly find the bokeh quite ugly when there are points of light in the background. Also, I feel some of the pictures above would look better at a somewhat smaller apertures; but that is a matter of taste.

—Mitch/Potomac, MD

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/

75 Lux @ ~f 2 ,Aperture M8 profile;B & W Nocti ~ f2.8

Summilux 75mm stopped down a bit:

Interesting. Guy, are you thinking what I am thinking, in that the Noctilux on the M8 is an 80 Lux, and the 75 Lux on the M8 is just sharper, smoother, and a bit more predictable than the 80 Lux? I think I will end up with the Noctilux too. I should be able to find the 35 Lux Asph for a good price, second-hand. There are a lot of them around, and this will allow me to find a good copy, with correct focusing at all apertures.

My feeling is that if you compare the 50Noct and the 50asphlux the character is quit different.

To my eye it looks like the Lux images seem to have a "finer texture", smoother, more creamy but still very sharp, lets say like a low grain 50 ISO film with smooth transitions.

The Noctilux images to me look more like a grainy 400 ISO film, quit contrasty in the focused areas.

Just yesterday I took some images with the Noctilux and was impressed.

I wanted to take images of a pregnant woman, first I used the Tri-Elmar with flash in color. Imaes were ok but not great.

Then I decided to take some more shots with the Noctilux, switched the camera to B&W, ISO to 640and1250, and shot mainly at f1.4, some 2.0, few f1.0

The images to me have much more character and I am glad I have not sold yet the Noct.

I see if I get permission topost 1 or 2 of the images later.

I was close to sell the Noctilux but now I wont.

By the way- the longer thread/focusing might take moretime but might also be an advantage to focus more precisly.

I am also interested to use a Zeiss50/1.5 for its chracter and see how it compares to the Noctilux and Summilux.

While the 50cron should be a great lens I find it the most "boaring" of the 50s offered by Leica.

The 75lux could be something in between the 50lux and 50 Noct regarding its "character".

I dont know if all this is just my imagination or if its facts though.

Cheers, Tom

My God Bill

If you can still shoot these types of images, you are still blessed, no matter how many back procedures. God Bless my friend.

Yours in the company of too many surgeries

Woody Spedden

Woody, my grandson was abut 3 week prior to the last spinal surgery and i was in a recliner with arms propped, the flowers was a fathers day present , my kids wife got everything out for me tripod bags lenses etc and with my walker went and sat and fiddled lighting pose etc, did this f8 i think.

the 75 lux is stunning, i've had nibbles but my ASKING price may be steep but it does include the nearly imposible to get (and EXPENSIVE) IR cut helioan and is the nicest 75 used lux i've ever seen.

this lens is like one of the donuts you know those Krispy kreamy. take your pick via aperture open cream stopped down crisp and contrasty

bill