Looking for lenses comparable to GF 45mm or GF100mm

bennymod

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I used to have a GFX kit with the GF 110 and GF 45mm. I loved those lenses but I like shooting with a rangefinder as I just enjoy that experience more.

Are any of you GFX users that have gotten a good comparison to those? I know medium format can't be 100% replicated, but I am hoping there are some Leica M lenses (3rd party included) that can give me a close comparable image. I look on Flickr but feel like someone here might be able to assist as well. 

Posted (edited)

GFX's 44x33 sensor covering focal lengths should be multiplied by x0.79 to get the 35mm equivalent.
Your choices are 35mm and 85mm in Leica M terms.
Start with Summicron 35 APO and Summicron 75 APO and you will not be disappointed.
To get even more separation, the 35 FLE, the 75 Noctilux and the 90 Summilux come to mind. The latter two especially give that "medium format" separation.
Voigtlander offers a similar range with 35/1.5, 35 APO and 90 APO. The 75/1.5 they have is more of a character lens wide open.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, bennymod said:

I loved those lenses but I like shooting with a rangefinder as I just enjoy that experience more.

Are any of you GFX users that have gotten a good comparison to those? I know medium format can't be 100% replicated, but I am hoping there are some Leica M lenses (3rd party included) that can give me a close comparable image

GFX100s and M246 user here.

If you like the shooting experience with the M system, i'd recommend staying away from all the heavy and ultra fast M lenses as they significantly decrease the usability of the M system. my m246 has all the ergonomic features of a brick and i struggle to use any glass over 500g. you should also factor in

1. the viewfinder blockage with larger lenses; and
  2. the issue with nailing focus with fast glass

best to double down on the things you like about the M system, rather than trying to turn the M into a mini manual GFX. finally if you need a short tele lens, stick with something in the 75mm focal range just to make focusing easier for yourself

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent advice from sometimesmaybe. After some time spent trying to replicate the Fuji 110 look on my M11, I have now reached a stage of acceptance. The M system is different, that's why I'm happy taking it everywhere and anywhere and why the GFX almost never left the house. The Leica 90mm f1.5 summilux came closest, but the price, and weight, held me back.  

• Like 1