Nocti and the 75mm lux Image look compare

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It is inside you, [so you] just need to try and pull it out more.

Yes, that is another reason why I'm looking to "get out of Dodge" . . . to test myself . . . to see what I'm made of . . . to "try and pull it out more" as you say.

"The future is not a result of choices among alternative paths offered by the present, but a place that is created--created first in the mind and will, created next in activity. The future is not some place we are going to, but one we are creating. The paths are not to be found, but made, and the activity of making them, changes both the maker and the destination." --John Schaar

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest guy_mancuso

Best thing one can do is always test yourself in anything, photograph is just a part of it. The key is learn from the testing and grow with that.

Indeed, that is a narrow band of focus.

Did you notice that my picture above features narrow depth of field (though not exactly like the Noctilux)? The bird is in focus more or less. The background is out of focus. The camera is panning upward while the bird is flying upward. The slow shutter speed captures the movement.

I love the picture, but no, I can't say that I noticed the narrow depth of field :) I was spending most of my time trying to convince myself that I was right, that it was indeed a bird.

Here's another narrow depth of field picture of mine. Do you know what this is? Are you sure? ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

So it may not be pushing the envelope but having a lens that can take pictures by candlelight and not very bright candles at that is fantastic. Taken this evening in our village for the pre-14th July celebrations. The other image is just for fun. Both with the Noctilux and the M8 at 1250 ISO.

Wilson

Nice shot Jim . i thought it was the Cooke at first

yea.. it has a very similar look/;feel to it.

i'm really liking this and the Sonnar-C lens... best of both worlds.. soft/glow open, and razor sharp stopped down. .. and they each give an entirely different look

yea.. it has a very similar look/;feel to it.

i'm really liking this and the Sonnar-C lens... best of both worlds.. soft/glow open, and razor sharp stopped down. .. and they each give an entirely different look

Jim, can you point us to some of your shots with the Sonnar-C wide open?

Jim, can you point us to some of your shots with the Sonnar-C wide open?

let me get something color and up close. for now, here are two b/w shots, one from 75lux, the other from the Sonnar... shooting position changed to keep the image the same size... both are wide open (it should be pretty easy to tell which is which). they're full size greyscale tif files

full size tiff file #1

full size tiff file #2

(point of focus in both was the door handle)

jim

If anyones still awake, I can't help but post this shot taken with a Canon 50mm F1.2

Talk about bokew for the bucks.......:cool:

Rex

Rex, great shot, and the bokeh does look nice, but excuse me for taking the opportunity to point out something: the focus is not where I would have wanted it, on the eye. It is on the profile, or even slightly beyond (see shirt). This is a prime example of how autofocus does not replace manual focus, simply because it doesn't know what we want.

Rex, great shot, and the bokeh does look nice, but excuse me for taking the opportunity to point out something: the focus is not where I would have wanted it, on the eye. It is on the profile, or even slightly beyond (see shirt). This is a prime example of how autofocus does not replace manual focus, simply because it doesn't know what we want.

Carstenw

Jeesh, thats the 1954 Canon 50mm F1.2 LTM on a Leica M8 ! Sorry I missed the focus by and inch :rolleyes: I'll post another shot where I nailed it. Give me a minute or two

Rex

Carstenw,

Well I found one. Notice the focus is on the near eye, not the profile. When I do my part, the M8 can not be beat. But these real fast lenses are going to produce a lot of near misses

I really love the soft glow produced by this antique Canon lens. It's so much fun using the older lenses on the M8. Their unique qualities come thru fine in digital, just like film.

On another note, why are my 200K files reduced to about 50 K when I upload them to this site?

Rex

Haha, okay, you win. I thought you meant the new Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L on a 5D or something, not the old one. Sorry about that; I jumped to conclusions.

How do you see that they are 50K? You mean, they are 200K on your desktop or wherever, and then 50K when uploaded? That is weird. Either the must be recompressed here, or you are using a filesystem with a large minimum filesize :)

Haha, okay, you win. I thought you meant the new Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L on a 5D or something, not the old one. Sorry about that; I jumped to conclusions.

How do you see that they are 50K? You mean, they are 200K on your desktop or wherever, and then 50K when uploaded? That is weird. Either the must be recompressed here, or you are using a filesystem with a large minimum filesize :)

Yes, I sized both of them to be 800 pixels on the short side and about 200k (near the maximum the site will accept). After uploading the two pictures were downsized to around 50k. Weird

I must say, they look pretty good for 50k

Rex

Yes, I sized both of them to be 800 pixels on the short side and about 200k (near the maximum the site will accept). After uploading the two pictures were downsized to around 50k. Weird

I must say, they look pretty good for 50k

Rex

Folks

This is a test to see if the upload is compressing my files. The lens is the Canon 50mmF1.2.

Serious Bokah

Rex