Nocti and the 75mm lux Image look compare

Guest guy_mancuso

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well having had the Nocti in Germany for the week , i really came to like it more than the first time I tried it and yes it is a big lens and the focus is somewhat slow just like the 75 lux is also but actually the Lux is a bigger lens. But i thought it would be interesting just to see what these lenses can do visually and not doing a side by side makes it hard but i know folks are on the fence on lenses all the time so maybe this may help a little. now most folks think of the Nocti at F1 , well that is nice but it does stop down also and it does become a different lens when you do stop it down just like the 75 lux does at 1.4 it is a soft look with nice charactor but stopped down it gets sharper and more defined . Also both of these lenses wide open are less contrasty wide open than stopped down a few stops.

So both of these lenses are somewhat similar in what they do open and stopped down. I think you can read reviews on both of these lenses and scratch your head about them the MTF charts are not mind blowing but the images from them have a look that is hard to replicate in other glass that let's say is more clinical in look, so in final decision mode it really comes down to the look and character that these fine optics bring. as i sat with Stefan Daniels in Germany he was saying the 75 cron just beats the stuffing out of the 75mm lux as far as the technical part of the lenses but the look is different and that is what makes the 75 lux apealing, not sure what i am going to do now becuase i like the Nocti also and does it look like the 75mm lux and can they share that same style , not sure but let's post some images from both of them to get a better feel about them. okay the 30 percent voucher is over and many ordered the Nocti, i did and let's face facts it was the best deal for your money no question but how many will sell them and how many will keep them after trying it out and seeing what it can do. i ordered one but i am going to keep it and hopefully make great images from it but now i face what we all face more damn lens decisions and what to keep and what to sell. it just never freaking ends:D

So let's just post some images from both becuase this is a area that i find tough for folks to decide what they want to have if not all of them.

This one is a Nocti at about 2.8 just posted this one on another thread and will go back and find some 75 lux and 50 Nocti shots to post

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest guy_mancuso

Okay a couple more Nocti images

Guest guy_mancuso

let's find a few Lux shots

Guest guy_mancuso

Now what i think is there look is pretty similar at 1.4 down but the Lux just has a creamy background compared to the Nocti which has nice bokeh but also a bit distracting at times. if you look at the guy with all the green around him the nocti looks nice but the foreground looks a little odd , i know if i shot this wit the 75 lux that for sure would be a lot creamier looking.

i guess the correct wording would be the transitions look different

Guy - do you own the 50/1.4 asph? Curious as to your thoughts on how the Noct behaves compared to that 50.

It's too bad the Noct loses some of it's traits on the M8 though....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm on my second Noctilux. I had one before the age of the M8, and sold it. Bought one after getting the M8, when the learning curve is quicker. Longer effective focal length opens up new opportunities. Marvellous combination with the M8 - perhaps part of the reason for the hype in prices (happily since I got mine). Here's a couple of my favourites:

331724318_8747cd645e_b.jpg

331282932_14dbf30d22_b.jpg

Guest guy_mancuso

Dan i do own the 50 lux and that also is the big issue for me becuase that lens is in my opinion the best 50 around and is outstanding in look and charactor not too mention extremely sharp too , plus it handles better than the Nocti. So this is getting tougher because now i will have 2 50mm lenses . okay can never have enough lenses i know but for many folks one 50 is all you will ever need so what do you get . i think you make combinations that work out overall in your work. yes we all want all of them but that is not practical either so now it becomes a tough decision. the wide angles are real easy to decide in my book but from 50 up things get interesting.

if you think about the combinations you can make in just these two focal lengths this gets really hard .

There are 3 leica 50mm and 2 leica 75 mm not to even bring up Zeiss and CV lenses.

if you went leica only for example do you go 50 cron and 50 Nocti or just a 50 lux than depending on what you do there than match the 75mm to be the opposite or the same as the 50mm focal lenth. This is tough, one because there really is no dogs or bad lenses here they all perform extremely well.

Guest guy_mancuso

Now in Pauls shots the bokeh looks very nice and with the Nocti i think this is were the biggest care comes into play. it can look absolutely wonderfull and than yet it can look dreadful too in some cases. The one of mine of Ralph is just on the edge of it could look bad.

Guest guy_mancuso

Now for the curve ball the 75 cron. this lens is a killer but still has nice bokeh and this was at ISO 640

Guest guy_mancuso

More 75mm lux this one again at ISO 640. Not a great shot but look at the lens

Guest guy_mancuso

Now see here is where i think the trouble starts because a nocti does look outstanding besides the f1 look and rivals the 50 lux.

This is not what you bought the Nocti to do but it can do it

Guest guy_mancuso

Than here stopped down to maybe 2.8 look how nice the bokeh is and also very sharp.

this is a great example of taking the MTF charts and burning them because they simply don't tell the story. Nice 3d look here

Thats the beauty of the Nocti, after f:/5.6 it's a killer lens. People always say it's only good for f:/1 after that they seem to loose interest. Guy you know my thoughts are for portraits at between f:/2.8 & f:/4, the 75 Cron is a stunning lens but I'm looking for a smoothness the Cron just can't give.

Your killing me here, LOL. I have almost everything in place, M8, 60mm filter, native support for DNG's in aperture . All I need is a big softie to play with and round out the glass collection and a number for GAS shrink.

Guest guy_mancuso

I think that is what i am trying to come up with on the Nocti is forget the F1 stuff look past that on the stopped down part and it is a whole different ballgame, now does it rival a 50 lux. hell i am starting to wonder, i don't think it does but man is it close . Just not sure.

the 75mm lux is a great lens and you really can't go wrong with it but again when you hit F4 it is a different lens and very much like the Cron. I am finding this all pretty interesting between these 4 lenses of the 50 lux, Nocti , 75 lux and cron

I think that is what i am trying to come up with on the Nocti is forget the F1 stuff look past that on the stopped down part and it is a whole different ballgame, now does it rival a 50 lux. hell i am starting to wonder, i don't think it does but man is it close .

Sorry Guy but I don't understand your reasoning. If you already have the 50 'lux, what is your motivation for getting the Noctilux if you are not fussed about using it at F1?

I took the Nocti out in bright sunshine in the park the other day and did some f1 stull and a few stopped down.

Here is the f1 stuff

One more f1 and then two stopped down. I very much love that lense except the backfocus it has at about 10-20 m.

Thats the beauty of the Nocti, after f:/5.6 it's a killer lens. People always say it's only good for f:/1 after that they seem to loose interest.

Yes a killer lens beyond f1.0 i agree .. but even if it is just as good as the 50 lux asph beyond f1.0 ....there are 3 important reasons to stay with the 50 lux...

- closest focussing distance of the nocti is 1 m opposed to 0,7 m of the lux which makes a BIG difference in a lot of situations

- size and weight ... some people do not care .. but it counts for me ..with the Nocti the M8 is not the small package i like so much anymore

- long focus throw of the nocti ... making it a difficult lens for anything else but static subject

I sold my nocti for those practical reasons ... although i used it as my main lens for almost 6 months ....... but after a while the thrill of the f 1.0 look was gone and there was NO reason left to keep the Nocti ......

For the short dof look ..... I can get shorter dof pictures with the 75 lux and 50 lux by moving in closer in than the minumum distance of 1 m the nocti allows......