Best Prime lens for APS-C

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Summilux Asph 50

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by chris_tribble

Summarit 75 f2.4

Apo Summicron 90

Apo-Telyt 135

Initial conclusion:

FOCUSING

All of these were shot at f2 or fully open (in the case of the slower lenses).

Wide angle lenses - I find these are actually easier to focus wide open with the RF on the M.  This is comparing using the EVF on the CL and also with the EVF on the M.  For the moment, I find EVF focusing harder to achieve with wide lenses.  By contrast, Lenses 75 and above seem to be easier to focus on the CL.

METERING

In manual mode I don't feel much difference between metering on the CL and the M.  And it seems pretty accurate (and I LIKE exposure preview on the CL - it feels pretty true.

IQ

These were all at 400 on a day with variable winter light in a north facing window.  I don't see much difference between them!  I find this amazing given that the CL is APS-C!

Maybe what I'm looking for for the CL is more APS-C  manual focus lenses...

At the moment I've only got one TL lens (the 18-55).  I'm not that impressed with this as yet - but recognize that it's early days.

BEST M prime for the CL?

If you wanted an M lens line up I'd get 21 SEM / 35 cron and 50 lux (with an option on the 90 Macro Elmarit perhaps...)  A great travel line up.

If you use M as the main system, I'd be considering the CL as a single lens walkabout with the 35 cron, or as a telephoto body (with anything 75 and above...).  I've not tried my R 80-200 f4 yet.  I'll report on this.

Hope this is helpful to others.  I'll try to post some more representative sets in different conditions later.

Edited by chris_tribble
  • Like 6

Initial conclusion:

FOCUSING

Wide angle lenses - I find these are actually easier to focus wide open with the RF on the M.  This is comparing using the EVF on the CL and also with the EVF on the M.  For the moment, I find EVF focusing harder to achieve with wide lenses.  By contrast, Lenses 75 and above seem to be easier to focus on the CL.

METERING

In manual mode I don't feel much difference between metering on the CL and the M.  And it seems pretty accurate (and I LIKE exposure preview on the CL - it feels pretty true.

IQ

These were all at 400 on a day with variable winter light in a north facing window.  I don't see much difference between them!  I find this amazing given that the CL is APS-C!

At the moment I've only got one TL lens (the 18-55).  I'm not that impressed with this as yet - but recognize that it's early days.

BEST M prime for the CL?

If you wanted an M lens line up I'd get 21 SEM / 35 cron and 50 lux (with an option on the 90 Macro Elmarit perhaps...)  A great travel line up.

If you use M as the main system, I'd be considering the CL as a single lens walkabout with the 35 cron, or as a telephoto body (with anything 75 and above...).  I've not tried my R 80-200 f4 yet.  I'll report on this.

Hope this is helpful to others.  I'll try to post some more representative sets in different conditions later.

For reach I guess 180APO 3.4 is hard to beat on APS-C. A relatively light solution. I find it to be easier to focus on M240 with EVF and Sony EVF. It will be interesting to see how does it behave (focusing wise) on CL.

After adding X2APO, it becomes even better and easier to handle (focus ring falls right in my hand). On CL, it will become 540mm.

As for 80-200 vario R, I will expect it to be superb. I love that lens. Good bokeh and easy to focus even without peaking. Only issue is the weight. It can never be my walk around lens.

Edited by jmahto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For reach I guess 180APO 3.4 is hard to beat on APS-C. A relatively light solution. I find it to be easier to focus on M240 with EVF and Sony EVF. It will be interesting to see how does it behave (focusing wise) on CL.

After adding X2APO, it becomes even better and easier to handle (focus ring falls right in my hand). On CL, it will become 540mm.

As for 80-200 vario R, I will expect it to be superb. I love that lens. Good bokeh and easy to focus even without peaking. Only issue is the weight. It can never be my walk around lens.

The 135 Apo Telyt is really easy to work with on the CL. 

Hand held ...

My wife teachers a Master's program in phonetics! :)

Edited by chris_tribble
  • Like 1

Chris, this is really helpful. Thanks for taking the time to do those comparison shots. While I haven’t used my CL enough yet, initial impressions are similar to yours. Image quality is great. I think with wide M lenses, the peaking will not be sensitive enough so zooming in to check focus will be needed. Otherwise, everything is just a mass of peaking sparkles.

I bought a 55-135 lens to go with my CL (the 18mm wasn’t available). The range is excellent, and I think I’ll end up pairing it with the 11-23 to give me a lot of variety, and I’ll have the 18mm as my main non-M prime lens. I have to say that the 24 Summilux (36mm equiv) is really very nice on the CL as well.

The 135 Apo Telyt is really easy to work with on the CL.

Hand held ...

001_L1010004-4.jpg

001_L1010004-3.jpg

My wife teachers a Master's program in phonetics! :)

Excellent. Have you checked how low shutter speed you can go with good probability (like one in three shots nailing it) on your 135? Sometimes I shoot at high fps to increase probability when light is low. Edited by jmahto

I have to say that the 24 Summilux (36mm equiv) is really very nice on the CL as well.

Ah, the 24 Lux, a lens I could never bring myself to afford! And perhaps a focal length that was just crying out to go on an APS-C body. It never made sense for me between the 21 and the 28.

Initial conclusion:

FOCUSING

METERING

IQ

BEST M prime for the CL?

Don't tell me you are turning yourself into a fruit reviewer as well...;):lol:

• Like 2

Just to stir things up a bit.  Many posts ago, I think I promised to take a look at the distortion corrections and other stuff that comes to light when you dig into the DNG of the TL family of lenses.  I just got a nice clean-looking, inexpensive, used TL 23/2.0.  Don't have a CL yet, so I put it on the SL as soon as I returned from a trip, and used Capture One's "lens profile" tools to take a look at the undistorted image that it captures.  Here's a screenshot.  The small dark fringe is the part of the image that lies outside the official 24 MPx of a JPG or a 100% corrected output.

38067634635_aceeecd56f_o.pngScreen Shot 2017-12-10 at 10.49.46 AM by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

As you can see, the distortion is modest.  I suspect the correction also cleans up a little bit of lateral chromatic error as well (that is, the distortion is slightly different for each color, R, G, and B  ).  If this is "designed for digital," I'm all for it.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 2

Here we go with some exterior shots - all with CL this time.  Full frame and 100% crop.

R 80-200 f4

A-T 135 / 90 Apo Summicron

50 lux asph / 35 summicron asph

Edited by chris_tribble

28 Summicron asph / 21 SEM

WATE 21 - 16