L-Mount 135mm or 180mm primes. When?

dem331

In fact, there are few to no primes in this focal length range for l-mount.
I have the 90-280 and its image quality is exceptional and I don't really miss a prime anymore, like my white Minolta APO's for the Alpha - Dynax 9 cameras in the 90's. 
However, I do have one prime in use on the SL: the Leica 180/3.4 APO R - still an impressive lens, but not L-mount but R-mount with adapter. So Leica can do prime in the 135/180mm class, no question.
(I don't know whether my MR-Telyt-R 8/500mm falls under prime for you in this even higher focal length class, as do R-mount and mirror lenses).

The 180mm APO Elmarit R was an extraordinarily good prime, and if you have a look at the MTF, it is still on par with the APO Summicron SL's. It was also a very fast and light focusing design with internal focus, so it could probably be readily adapted into an AF design. It only had a 67mm filter like the rest of the APO Summicrons. Of course, they also have the 180mm S lens, which is similar but larger and slower probably because of the larger image circle. I think given Leica's history of making superlative telephotos, the question is not can they make it, it is why haven't they? Here I think it is that they know don't think enough people will buy these primes for what would certainly be over 7 or 8000 dollars, when the zooms are now so good. I think people would buy them and love them, but probably not enough people for them to justify.

vor 8 Minuten schrieb Stuart Richardson:

The 180mm APO Elmarit R was an extraordinarily good prime, and if you have a look at the MTF, it is still on par with the APO Summicron SL's. It was also a very fast and light focusing design with internal focus, so it could probably be readily adapted into an AF design.

Absolutely, @Stuart Richardson

http://www.marcocavina.com/articoli_fotografici/Leitz_Apo-Telyt_180mm_glass/00_pag.htm

really great informations about the 180/3.4 🙂 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

Just saw this thread after I posted about hoping for an APO 180 f2.0 prime, like the R 180/2 was incredible, but 5 lbs. That is why the R 2.8 180's became so popular not to mention the APO R 180/3.5.

Edited by algrove

On 1/26/2024 at 11:20 AM, Tpau17 said:

In fact, there are few to no primes in this focal length range for l-mount.
I have the 90-280 and its image quality is exceptional and I don't really miss a prime anymore, like my white Minolta APO's for the Alpha - Dynax 9 cameras in the 90's. 
However, I do have one prime in use on the SL: the Leica 180/3.4 APO R - still an impressive lens, but not L-mount but R-mount with adapter. So Leica can do prime in the 135/180mm class, no question.
(I don't know whether my MR-Telyt-R 8/500mm falls under prime for you in this even higher focal length class, as do R-mount and mirror lenses).

How the mirror lens perform on the SL? Thanks.

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I do not want a 180 f4 when I have the Panasonic 70-200 f4 which covers that with internal focusing and also takes 1.4x and 2x extenders.

Maybe Leica will come out with a SL 2x extender when they introduce a 180 APO SL prime.

YEAH!!

Edited by algrove

Posted (edited)

I know it is not 135 but the new Pana 100 Macro is a very light and flexible.

As a compact tele I use the Pana 70-200/4.0

I would love a 70200/2.8 in the weight size of the Canon RF version from Leica.

and I agree a 135/2.8 Apo and a 180 or 200 Prime would be great.

I own the Sigma 135/1.8 but as you say its pretty big, and alaso had some battery Problem ( I dont know if this has been solved) as soon as the SL battery is under a certain level ii leads to restrictions.

Edited by tom0511

• 4 weeks later...
Am 24.11.2023 um 06:07 schrieb darylgo:

120mm S and 180mm S plus an adapter.  Macro also.  

These outstanding lenses really rock - the S 120 unfortunately doesn‘t work most of the time in AF mode on my SL2-S even with Q3 battery (works flawless on an S3). At least for me no need for L primes… But a 10 or 12 mm super-wideangle…

I still think that the makers will focus on variants of the 70-200mm as I expect that most people will tend to stick with them over a fixed focal length prime, for versatility, particularly when the performance difference will be hard to discern.

On 4/11/2024 at 2:15 AM, algrove said:

I do not want a 180 f4 when I have the Panasonic 70-200 f4 which covers that with internal focusing and also takes 1.4x and 2x extenders.

Maybe Leica will come out with a SL 2x extender when they introduce a 180 APO SL prime.

YEAH!!

Yes. Leica might. I think 135 and 180 are not big sellers so the Sigmas and Panasonics of this world will have little incentive to build them, especially when users walk around with a 28-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8. 
My travel kit nowadays is precisely that  by Sigma, with the CL, 18-56 and 55-135 as small/light alternative. There is no place for 135 and 180 primes.