L-Mount 135mm or 180mm primes. When?

dem331

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Will these ever come? I want AF. I want manageable size. F2.8 and F4 is ok. 

There are about ten L-Mount tele-zooms but only one prime lens, and that is a monster because it is f1.8. 

Why is there such a reluctance to address this segment of the market? Is it so unattractive? 

Plenty of ultra wides around that have limited use. So why not longer lenses? 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

23 minutes ago, dem331 said:

I think the APO Summicron primes are a great size. How much bigger would a 135mm f2.8 APO Summicron have to be? 

as big as leica wants to maintain image quality, NO AF and you have a world of options with adapters, e.g: my pentax takumar 200 f4 has better rendering and is way lighter and smaller than my telyt-R 250

6 minutes ago, frame-it said:

as big as leica wants to maintain image quality, NO AF and you have a world of options with adapters, e.g: my pentax takumar 200 f4 has better rendering and is way lighter and smaller than my telyt-R 250

Yes, I use two 135 mm which I like. But I want an APO AF. 

If not even the Sigma Contemporary I series will do. 

But it doesn’t look like they are coming. Maybe the market isn’t there.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dem331 said:

Yes, I use two 135 mm which I like. But I want an APO AF. 

If not even the Sigma Contemporary I series will do. 

But it doesn’t look like they are coming. Maybe the market isn’t there.

i doubt leica would they talked a lot about taking a picture with a high res sensor and cropping later

"“Let's go a different way: Which performance is needed in the future? Do you need 60 megapixels? I don't think so. But probably we’ll get it anyways, yes.

“So, when the lenses perform better, you can concentrate on the decisive moment. The rest you can do later. Take a little bit more space, so you only have to touch the button at the right time. If there are some adjustments, you can do them later. You capture a large picture at the right moment."

Peter Karbe Interview: The Era of Big Lenses>>>

https://www.overgaard.dk/Leica-Camera-Typ-601-Leica-SL-Small-Camera-Large-Print-and-Large-Lenses.html

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, frame-it said:

i doubt leica would they talked a lot about taking a picture with a high res sensor and cropping later

"“Let's go a different way: Which performance is needed in the future? Do you need 60 megapixels? I don't think so. But probably we’ll get it anyways, yes.

“So, when the lenses perform better, you can concentrate on the decisive moment. The rest you can do later. Take a little bit more space, so you only have to touch the button at the right time. If there are some adjustments, you can do them later. You capture a large picture at the right moment."

Peter Karbe Interview: The Era of Big Lenses>>>

https://www.overgaard.dk/Leica-Camera-Typ-601-Leica-SL-Small-Camera-Large-Print-and-Large-Lenses.html

Agreed. So just one more longer prime would do. If the 90mm can comfortably crop to 135mm, a 135mm would comfortably crop to 200mm. That would do me for general photography. Wildlife and sports photographers can lug the insanely huge zooms around. 

Agreed. Out past the macro range for focal lengths, there does not seem to be all that much demand for primes anymore. I think this is a couple of factors at play.

1. The zooms are now extremely good, and compete favorably with primes.

2. Telephoto lenses tend to be expensive and not as often used as more standard focal lengths, so many photographers likely choose a single telephoto zoom rather than more than one prime. It is also challenging for a company like Leica, at least, to develop several prime telephotos, like they did with the R system. Unfortunately I think those days are over. Not just because I think the drain on resources within the company, but because there probably would not be enough buyers.

3. Unlike with a standard zoom, it is difficult to "zoom with your feet" with telephoto lenses. The difference between a 90mm and 280mm perspective are quite large, especially if you are talking about landscape work. It is not as easy to just get closer, so telephoto zooms are even more useful than a standard zoom, at least if you are talking about accessing multiple angles of view from more or less the same position.

4. Most of the people who don't want a telephoto zoom seem to be interested in low light photography or extremely shallow depth of field, such as is provided by the faster telephotos.

I think it is possible that we eventually see a telephoto prime...my guess would be 180mm, but I would not hold my breath. Meanwhile, you closest bet is what Daryl suggested: the 120mm APO Macro Elmarit S, which is a 120mm f2.5 autofocus APO prime, or the 180mm APO Elmar S, which is a 180mm AF APO 3.5 prime. Both are extremely good lenses, particularly the 120mm. They work with AF and auto aperture on the SL cameras, and with auto aperture (but no AF) on the Panasonic L mount cameras. The lenses plus the cost of the adapter are still expensive, but way less than what you might expect a native SL APO telephoto would cost these days. They are not compact or light, but I believe they are still lighter than the 90-280mm. I use that the most these days. Image quality is close, but it is so much more convenient.

I am attaching 3 from the 120, and one from the 180. The color photo of the rock wall with snow is the 180mm. Sorry, don't really have too many portraits to show, but these lenses both have excellent bokeh too...they are used a lot in fashion work on the S.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Stuart Richardson
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Btw, I think another good bet would be the 105mm 2.8 APO Macro Sigma lens. That is a very sharp macro lens with native focusing speed, and it is fairly compact and light. It is not quite out to 135mm, but with a moderate crop could stand in for that. It is quite a bit more compact and light compared to the 120mm or 180mm S lenses or the 90-280mm zoom.

• Like 1

As others have pointed out, unless you are doing sports or nature when the fastest aperture might make a difference, current zooms are pretty good, and versatile, particularly when, for longer distance shots the atmosphere is going to be the determining factor for your picture quality.

The 90-280 L lens is stupendous and, if you need something faster, then Sigma has some great lenses.

One realy good Option is the nikon f-mount 300 4.0 pf. Light, good, not too expensive on the used Market. I only tried it with dummy Adapter... But the quality ist astonishing. Also the mfd of 1.4m is something to be hold... I wish they would make sonething mirrorless for l-Mount like nikon did with the nikkor-z 400 4.5 and 600 6.3. These are both such great lenses. (or the New Sony 300 2.8) embracing light weight and mirrorless Design. 

I think nobody bothers these days with anything below 300mm for a small prime lenses. .. The newest 70-200 are just too good. (or 90-280😇

The age of 200mm f2.0 primes seems to be over😅

Edited by MFT-Lehrling
  • Like 1

For 200mm, I would go for the S180. An  a b s o l u t e l y  lovely & sharp lens. Rather light, and not too large, as well. But manual focus on SLx, in practice. It really shines on SLx (with sensor stabilisation activated). 

For 300mm, Nikon PE f4 is a very fine and small & low weight lens (with eg Novoflex adapter, in practice to be used as a manual focus lens). Leica APO-TELYT-R 280mm f4 is also an excellent option. Both deliver top results with 1.4x extenders, and with only some degradation with 2x extenders. 

For 400mm, Canon f4 DO v2  (with the  Sigma MC-21 adapter) is brilliant, super-sharp, and with a colour palette close to (modern) Leica lenses. 

Personally, I use S180 as the 200mm go-to-lens, and Canon 400mm f4 DO v2 as the 400mm go-to-lens. 

In L-mount, I would like to see a 500 f4 prime... 

• Like 2

My next lens will be a 105 Macro. I have the 100-400 and it is really good. But a new fast 180 would be nice as would a 300/4.

I’ll probably pass on the new Sigma 70-200. It is bigger and heavier than the 100-400 and I like to keep my kit as light as possible. It’s nice that Leica is working with Sigma to give us more options.

BTW the Leica 135/4 TeleElmar M and the 180/2.8 R work but are slow in use and not up to the optical level of the Sigma lenses.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2023 at 1:18 AM, Printmaker said:

My next lens will be a 105 Macro. I have the 100-400 and it is really good. But a new fast 180 would be nice as would a 300/4.

I’ll probably pass on the new Sigma 70-200. It is bigger and heavier than the 100-400 and I like to keep my kit as light as possible. It’s nice that Leica is working with Sigma to give us more options.

BTW the Leica 135/4 TeleElmar M and the 180/2.8 R work but are slow in use and not up to the optical level of the Sigma lenses.

Following on from the above discussion, and thinking about Peter Karbe’s comments on cropping I took some tests photos with the SL2 SL 75mm APO Summicron and with the M 135 Tele-Elmar.

Some where at infinity focus on distant objects, the others at close focus (about 5 metres) all at f5.6. 

I then cropped the 75mm to 135 mm magnification - that is I cropped away about 2/3 of the image size - and compared. 

In all circumstances the cropped 75mm outresolved the 135mm (not by much, but noticeably so). 

However the 135mm pictures looked quite different to the cropped 75mm because of the more pronounced OOF areas, and in some cases I preferred the tele look.  (But maybe if I had shot the 75mm at F2 this would no longer be the case) 

I was going to try the same today with my 135 mm Contax c/y, but it is raining, so it will have to wait.

At what focal length of the 100-400mm do you guys think that it will be an improvement on the equivalent cropped 75mm APO version at f5.6?  Presumably the Sigma, 135 mm F1 .8 will allways be better than the cropped SL 75 mm APO (in terms of sharpness). 

Thanks. 

• 1 month later...

Last summer the Korean lens maker Samyang joined the L-mount alliance. They make a 135mm/1.8 lens currently available in Sony FE mount. It is reputed is have very high IQ, rivaling Sony's own 135/1.8 GM lens, see the link below. I would think Samyang didn't join the alliance just for the press release splash, so we should see their lenses starting to be ported over to L-mount some time this year.

https://www.lenstip.com/index.html?test=obiektywu&test_ob=636

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1