40 Summicron

jdlaing

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It was my understanding that the Summicron-C f/2 40mm is the same lens as Rokkar-M f/2 40mm. Only difference is who sold it. Leica vs Minolta.

Apparently not as 40.5 fits my version.

I think I have read somewhere that the optical formula of the lenses was the same but neither their bodies nor the coating. 

Interesting, bought this as a set. Leitz Minolta CL, 40.5 Rokkar 90mm and a 40.5 Rokkar 40mm. The 40mm was made in Japan and 90 was made in Germany. All from my leica dealer.

So you are saying this set was comprised from different generations?

That is correct. The Leica CL comes with Leica lenses, the Minolta CLE has Rokkor lenses.

You mean 0.75 i guess.

No I don't, that is just the point. 0.75 is the standard pitch for filters, the Summicron has an older 0.5 pitch.

There are more lenses with this problem. In 2005 B&W was still suppliying both thread types, causing no end of confusion:

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-10457.html

That is correct. The Leica CL comes with Leica lenses, the Minolta CLE has Rokkor lenses.

Well I know that leica also produced a CLE and my Rokkor 90 was produced in Germany, so it appears that the differences are primarily in the label. I also read somewhere that when leica was first working with Minolta, leica produced a 40mm f/2.8 that Minolta rejected as substandard. It appears this whole project had issues.

Leica never produced the 2.8, there was just a small series of prototypes, which Leica rejected because of the quality. (see Erwin Puts, lens compendium). The Minolta CLE was not built by Leitz, nor Leica branded. It was a Minolta redesign on the theme and a completely different camera. (and, if truth be told, an improvement).

For all of its oddities I still like my CL. As compact 35mm go it's great, certainly better than the Rollei 35. I'm not sure using CL class of lenses on a proper M is such a good idea, but in there own universe it's great.

Edited by Soden

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No I don't, that is just the point. 0.75 is the standard pitch for filters, the Summicron has an older 0.5 pitch.

There are more lenses with this problem. In 2005 B&W was still suppliying both thread types, causing no end of confusion:

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-10457.html

For 39mm filters at least Leica used the 0.5 pitch. Larger diameters had 0.75 pitches.

The oddity for the Summicron is that it has a 39*0.75 thread - which is not for a filter, but for the hood. 

Tonight I'll try to copy the list for different filters Leitz/Leica published in their catalogue handbooks.

• Like 1

Sure but the Minolta CL has Rokkor lenses that are not the same as those for Minolta CLE. Rokkors for CL were made by Leitz in the seventies if memory serves whereas Rokkors for CLE were made by Minolta in the eighties.

Edited by lct

[...] 0.75 is the standard pitch for filters [...]

Not that i have something against you  ;) but ø 39mm lenses have always had a 0.50 filter thread pitch, as long as i remember at least. Only exceptions i know of are the two lenses for Leica CL (40/2 & 90/4) with their 0.75 pitch made for hoods not for filters (Series 5.5 then).

I think I have read somewhere that the optical formula of the lenses was the same but neither their bodies nor the coating. 

Yes, I read about it multiple times on the Internet.

Within Minolta CL and CLE also have different bayonet part. I know, because I have to purchase the spare bayonet, focus part for CLE version. 

If not pointed out before, just look at this RFF thread for 40mm with very nice photos and some good advices on using 40mm lens :

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72704

nice read ...

and some differences of the versions from this thread : https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161950

Leica40mm-X2.jpg

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

Tonight I'll try to copy the list for different filters Leitz/Leica published in their catalogue handbooks.

Unfortunately the list must wait for some days until I am again near a proper copy machine. (The format of the Handbook is not good at all for the BOOWU  :( )

Though I can assure you that according to the list on p.9.21 of the Leica Handbuch 2002/2003 all filters from 32mm to 43mm for Leitz and Leica lenses had a pitch of 0.5, those with larger diameters had a 0.75 pitch. 

As said before the odd M39*0.75 thread of the Summicron-C was for the hood, not for the filter. You needed Serie 5.5 filters for the lens, which had a diameter of 36mm and were held by the hood. 

Sure but the Minolta CL has Rokkor lenses that are not the same as those for Minolta CLE. Rokkors for CL were made by Leitz in the seventies if memory serves whereas Rokkors for CLE were made by Minolta in the eighties.

Yes, there is a progression in versions. :)