Code Name "Clooney"

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think that the XY would be a very nice complementary camera for me, provided the sensor is of a really high level. Use it as a primary high-IQ wildlife camera with the 105-280, and have the GX8 with the Vario-Elmar for shots that are beyond the technical ability of any Leica (viz. image-stabilized 800 mm hand-held, 20/60 fps bursts, pre-release bursts, post-focus, etc.) I was considering a used SL for the purpose, but the size and smaller sensor of this camera appeal.

Just curious, does your colleague own a Leica camera already? There is actually a case to be made that the CL makes the TL more viable now even if it seems counterintuitive at first. It may allow Leica to price it more competitively (by lowering component prices, for example) to attract new users who are looking for this kind of shooting experience but who don’t want to compromise on IQ. A TL offers a modern, touch screen user interface that appeals to a new generation of photographers, the cellphone shooters.

No, he’s an Olympus micro 4/3 user but has been eying my TL2. He initially wanted my TL which I gave to my daughter-in-law...

- Vikas

The XY/CL could be the kind of camera i was after when i preferred the X-E2 over the T as APS back for my M & R lenses. Remains to see its level of compatibility with M lenses, especially wides, and how fast and accurate its manual focusing proves to be. A fast AF could interest me as well but the lack of PDAF is hardly encouraging from this standpoint. As for the price i could have a Kolari modded A7r2 for less i suspect so the actual size of the XY/CL will probably be a deciding factor for me.

Meh.

if that rumor and pricing is 'correct'  i suspect the q may be in for some stiff leica competition . . . pricing for the 18mm (effective 35ish) is almost the same as a q. . .  if i were interested in add'l focal lengths i would bite for the 'cl'..  i think leica has a winner here

Edited by prk60091
  • Like 1

if that rumor and pricing is 'correct'  i suspect the q may be in for some stiff leica competition . . . pricing for the 18mm (effective 35ish) is almost the same as a q. . .  if i were interested in add'l focal lengths i would bite for the 'cl'..  i think leica has a winner here

18mm is surely an effective 28ish on APS-C?

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, but the little 23/2.0 TL is a 35, so they have two smallish lenses to offer for casual carry-about shooting.  I also think it looks like a potential winner, if the video refresh rate has moved up to improve viewing and AF.  CDAF is more accurate in practice than PDAF, and should be fast enough for me.  And I kinda like its looks.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 2

The question is black or silver?  :) I'm pretty sure the EVF is big and bright even if it's not the same as in the SL. It could be the one from the G9 like Jaap is hoping for. On the AF system, it's unclear if it is better than what the TL2 currently offers. I've been told that the 18mm pancake locks on immediately and the person who used it was really amazed by it. I like small, snappy gear so I'm tempted by it. It's also a very lightweight way to extend the 90-280SL all the way to 420mm while maintaining 24MP.

The Q still offers outstanding lens quality and extreme closeup (macro OK but not really that good). Interest in the CL will, for many, be based on size/weight. Leaked pics suggest it's almost M-sized: in which case I'll stick with my M10 + Q. Marginal interest in having M lenses on a CL where focal length increases by 50% – my 75mm Summicron would at 113mm be good for flower pics, I think.

The question is black or silver?  :) I'm pretty sure the EVF is big and bright even if it's not the same as in the SL. It could be the one from the G9 like Jaap is hoping for. On the AF system, it's unclear if it is better than what the TL2 currently offers. I've been told that the 18mm pancake locks on immediately and the person who used it was really amazed by it. I like small, snappy gear so I'm tempted by it. It's also a very lightweight way to extend the 90-280SL all the way to 420mm while maintaining 24MP.

19845_30_1.jpg

1470481978_c559090abf.jpg314051136e9cb2870386986bb8cdaf0d.jpg

Edited by miro

The TL lenses are good at close focusing.  If you read their tech specs, MTFs for both closest focus and infinity focus are provided, so someone is thinking about that.  I took some pictures recently where I pushed the 11-23 TL right up to 20 cm focus distance, and they came out sharper than the APS-C portion of the SL's imaging chip could handle.  So the Q is not alone in that.  Flowers, look out!

• Like 2

I spoke with a dealer today about another issue, and he volunteered that he was busy preparing for the announcement tomorrow. He indicated that it would be the Clooney/CL, the 18mm lens and various related accessories. He said there was nothing else at this time, none of the other items mentioned as possibilities on the Rumors site.... at least not as part of this announcement.

Jeff

• Like 2

Marginal interest in having M lenses on a CL where focal length increases by 50% – my 75mm Summicron would at 113mm be good for flower pics, I think.

Pedant alert.... field of view changes; focal length remains the same. One can accomplish much the same by cropping on a 35mm equivalent sensor.

Jeff

• Like 1

Super-pedant alert. The field of view does not necessarily change, as it depends on the subject distance. The angle of view changes. :p

I used the more general term, which is often used interchangeably...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angle_of_view

The field of view most certainly does change when switching cameras with differently sized sensors, all else remaining equal (including focal length and camera position), since I was discussing equivalencies.

Jeff

• Like 1

nice...reminds me of the A6000..the LCD display seems to be the blue one like the SL ?

First press photo 

Leica-CL-mirrorless-camera-rumors.jpg

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 1