Code Name "Clooney"

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There is more function on the top panel of the CL than you can infer from technical data sheet.  Both dials have buttons in their centers.  The Japanese quickstart guide shows some things that the buttons do.  The left button seems to let you cycle through PASM, and the right button does something with regard to setting ISO and perhaps exposure offset.  This might become clearer once the English quickstart guide and the instruction manual become available in an hour or two.

The T series works very well in this respect.

- Vikas

Thanks Scott and Vikas- good to know, and I’ll follow up on Scott’s suggestions

Jim

There is more function on the top panel of the CL than you can infer from technical data sheet.  Both dials have buttons in their centers.  The Japanese quickstart guide shows some things that the buttons do.  The left button seems to let you cycle through PASM, and the right button does something with regard to setting ISO and perhaps exposure offset.  This might become clearer once the English quickstart guide and the instruction manual become available in an hour or two.

Hopefully the user will have full control of exposure and focus when using manual lenses on the CL, without removing the eye from the EVF!

If so, this will differ from the current state of the TL2: Using manual lenses on TL2, the right wheel controls the shutter speed. Fine. The left wheel can, for instance, be set to focus enlargement. In this case you miss instant control of exposure, so you have to rely on the implemented auto-ISO, possibly adjusted by exposure compensation. This can be fine, but I don't like to blindly rely on the camera when it comes to exposure! If you put exposure correction on the left wheel, you can nail the exposure, but in this case you miss instant access to focus enlargement. Brrr...

A preferred option when TL2 is used with manual lenses would, in my view, be to set exposure compensation on the left wheel, shutter speed on the right wheel, and that the remaining option, the video button, could activate focus enlargement. Unfortunately, the video button is non-programmable with the current TL2 FW.

So let's hope that the CL allows the user to take full control of exposure and focus! Time will tell...

• Like 1

Reid Reviews just went live with his CL and 18mm Elmarit-TL review.  I'm currently reading Jono's.  You can probably figure out the links to each, but I'll leave it as a small puzzle for now.

edit:  one more feature -- electronic shutter can be used at all speeds.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

Thanks. Louis was right, it‘s a beautiful little camera. Jono says AF hunts much less with fixed focal length lenses than the TL2 and here http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/leica-cl it says that the EVF is excellent, bright and clear. Focus points can be controlled by the pad and they will offer a grip. I should have mine by Friday to see for myself.

• Like 1

Both Jono and Sean have a lot to say.  Sean is the more cautious, as you might expect, but they both seem to really enjoy shooting with the CL and are very positive.  Sean promises a full set of CL lens reviews and side by side comparisons with the Fuji APS-C equivalents, so I continue to believe that his subscription price is justified... 

once you buy it next month i think it will update the FW on all your TL lenses ;)

Both Jono and Sean have a lot to say.  Sean is the more cautious, as you might expect, but they both seem to really enjoy shooting with the CL and are very positive.  Sean promises a full set of CL lens reviews and side by side comparisons with the Fuji APS-C equivalents, so I continue to believe that his subscription price is justified... 

Will say something positive. It looks a lot better with lens attached. Balances out the EVF bump. I don’t know why they went that direction rather than a smaller one like the Q that would have been better looking. Good luck to all that buy this. I will pass as offers nothing I would want or need a this juncture and the price is more than new TL2 plus visoflex.

• Like 2