Code Name "Clooney"

Advertisement (gone after registration)

May i ask where you've read such a supposition? Just curious as i thought the rumored EVF was the Visoflex 020.

I don’t repeat sh!t I read somewhere here. I talk to people who supposedly have used the camera. After telling me it looks like an X with a lump I asked what the EVF was like. The answer “It’s like the one from the SL.” Then we went on to discuss the AF system. Could the person have lied to me? Possibly but unlikely. Could he have mistaken the Visoflex 020 for the SL EVF when he looked through it? Possibly but then he should get another job. We’ll know by Wednesday but I would place my bets on what I was told.

Before I posted my "grapevine" info the other day I considered the possibility that the grapevine had been given information that might turn out to be incorrect.  The "grapevine" seemed confident of the information shared with me, just as others may be confident of what they may have either experienced or heard.

"Rumor" is a fairly well-defined term in this context, and it is not synonymous with "sh!t."  I'll continue to enjoy reading shared instances of the former; just as those who are so inclined are welcome to stir the latter. Accordingly, there's no need to disparage what someone else writes in this thread.

Before I posted my "grapevine" info the other day I considered the possibility that the grapevine had been given information that might turn out to be incorrect. The "grapevine" seemed confident of the information shared with me, just as others may be confident of what they may have either experienced or heard.

"Rumor" is a fairly well-defined term in this context, and it is not synonymous with "sh!t." I'll continue to enjoy reading shared instances of the former; just as those who are so inclined are welcome to stir the latter. Accordingly, there's no need to disparage what someone else writes in this thread.

No, you weren’t meant. Apologies if you felt this way. I actually thought that your comments were well informed. We don’t know about the EVF but why add an ugly lump to what could otherwise be a nice looking camera? This leads me to the conclusion that my source is better informed in this respect.
  • Like 1

Before I posted my "grapevine" info the other day I considered the possibility that the grapevine had been given information that might turn out to be incorrect.  The "grapevine" seemed confident of the information shared with me, just as others may be confident of what they may have either experienced or heard.

"Rumor" is a fairly well-defined term in this context, and it is not synonymous with "sh!t."  I'll continue to enjoy reading shared instances of the former; just as those who are so inclined are welcome to stir the latter. Accordingly, there's no need to disparage what someone else writes in this thread.

It might also be the GH5 EVF.

For so long as I’ve been reading this forum, each new release has been greeted with certainties, leaks and speculation. We will only know on Wednesday (Thursday my time), and then we’ll have happiness, disappointment and red faces.

Certainty, confidence and scorn are generally misplaced at this time.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

May i ask where you've read such a supposition? Just curious as i thought the rumored EVF was the Visoflex 020.

I don't know about the SL EVF rumour LCT, but the Visoflex 020 rumour mentioned on the Leica Rumors site came from, by their own admission and as is often the case, here (LUF).  Just proving that rumours are nothing if not circular......

• Like 1

No hoax. People who have seen the camera (but interestingly were not supposed to) have confirmed that it looks like an X with a lump/bump. EVF is supposed to be that of the SL but the rest basically a TL2 in a retro body. Unclear whether the AF will be the same but quite possible it is. So we shouldn’t get our hopes up on the Clooney. It’s the ugly thing in the pictures. This is at a time when Sony is releasing the α9, the α7r III, and announcing a super telephoto 400mm E mount lens. Dunk’s comments above that there is another ‘Billy the Kid’ camera, the fastest in the west, that no one has picked up on and that they will also introduce on the 22nd has given me some hope that they won’t embarrass themselves. Why bother with a big “Das Wesentliche“ event for another version of the TL2? Why show and let people use the Clooney who are not supposed to? Why leak all these photographs? If Dunk is right, we’ve all been barking up the wrong tree.

Improvement to /for an existing camera … not a new model 

dunk

You lost me there.  Googling both names took me to a  novel about the Irish potato famine.  The last good Mickey Rourke role that I remember was Boogie in "Diner," but that was long ago.  At the risk of spoiling the joke, could you explain?

I was neither drawing a comparison to the inner values nor the acting performances of George Clooney and Mickey Rourke.

My comment was not profound, but rather superficial:

When rumors started about a new Leica camera named "Clooney", I expected a spectacularly designed new camera.

Which it is not.

From the looks of the deliberately leaked pictures, "Rourke" seams more appropriate to me.

But even "Rourke" deserves an SL EVF and probably IBIS...

So let's hope the camera is not a "Hilton".

Edited by anickpick

Amazing, some people seem to want a camera in the size of the X2, with a viewfinder quality and speed of the SL, looking as clean as the T, but with buttons to move focus point around, and this for the price lower than the TL2. Good luck ;)

Very close, make it a joystick instead of buttons...  ;)

But you are very right, a lot of people want a mini SL that does pretty much everything the SL does but does not come with the weight disadvantage and the heavy lenses.

I am very curious how Leica will position this camera as being different from the TL2, from what I have read so far there simply is not that much difference...

SL EVF, fast AF, handgrip, and moving the focus points around with the pad like with the Q will do the trick. My guess is they are pretty much there (not sure about the AF but should be possible with an upgrade even for the TL2). So they’ll get most SL users to buy it and those who want a compact camera with interchangeable lenses and a retro design. It’s ugly because of the bump on top but once people look through that EVF they will all forget about it.

Edited by Chaemono
  • Like 2

Amazing, some people seem to want a camera in the size of the X2, with a viewfinder quality and speed of the SL, looking as clean as the T, but with buttons to move focus point around, and this for the price lower than the TL2. Good luck ;)

I just want an X2 with the upgraded APSC sensor. Would be a piece of cake for Leica to churn out... 

• Like 1

It’s ugly because of the bump on top but once people look through that EVF they will all forget about it.

Provided it is indeed the SL EVF and not the same old Visoflex again...  

• Like 1

I just want an X2 with the upgraded APSC sensor. Would be a piece of cake for Leica to churn out... 

I would be surprised if there were more fixed lens X-cameras... IMO the main purpose of the new camera is to get existing X-shooters to buy into the TL-mount.

I would be surprised if there were more fixed lens X-cameras... IMO the main purpose of the new camera is to get existing X-shooters to buy into the TL-mount.

Yes, that does indeed seem the case. But the TL and CL are still just a little too big for the pocket when one is looking for a system alternative. X2 is a nice size.

On another note, wouldn't it be lovely to see a digital sensor in a classic IIIc style body? I'm sure that would sell like hot cakes...

There are more things in an EVF than resolution: refresh rate and latency for instance. 

The superb EVFs of Panasonic and Olympus have very high resolution (but less than the Leica SL)... but the refresh rate (120 fps) and latency are first rate. 

Leica tries to offer the highest resolution EVFs out there (Q and SL), when possible. A clip-on EVF may have constraints, I don't know. If that is the case, an integrated EVF could improve on the existing 020 Visoflex. 

The Q and SL have high resolution EVFs, but... how good are the other two variables (refresh rate and latency)?

The CL should have a Q-class EVF at least... 

Edited by rosuna